Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 06:50 PM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
how about we give 50k to everybody or either never took a student loan or paid theirs off. Then we can forgive 50k of somebody who took a loan. This way everybody gets 50k. What the heck we can just print more and it will make great toilet paper once we run out of that.
This would be great. Also, how about giving those who were responsible and had no kids benefits as well? What about a bonus because we saved up and paid for our own house with no help of HUD or section 8 vouchers. What about the little guy who lost his business during the Covid? Will he be compensated for the money he lost if there was no shut down?

Seriously, what is the point of working hard, being responsible and just being a law abiding citizen that pays your dues if you're going to be punished for it so some loser can make bank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 06:54 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
I do find it funny when people of color vote for Biden, who pushes for student loan forgiveness made up of mostly white loans.

I’ve said it for a long time, Trump was the best answer for people of color, but the white progressives who run the media, internet, Entertainment, and sports all tricked them into voting against their best interests.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems like Asians and Whites would be the overwhelming beneficiaries to Schumer's racist legislation that would shortchange blacks and latinos.

How does $50,000 student loan forgiveness "close the racial wealth gap"? It seems like racist legislation that unfairly benefits Whites and Asians overwhelmingly.
Why go off on Schumer's racial tangent? The overwhelming beneficiaries are people of all races who took out big loans to pay for expensive schools. Those shortchanged are people like my son who studied hard to win academic merit discounts, lived frugally and paid for college without loans.

Old 02-05-2021, 06:55 AM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times
Is this a onetime reset or will there be a new batch of former students every spring wanting their 50k?

Old 02-05-2021, 08:44 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Full disclosure- I have a dual undergraduate degree and advanced degree. I received very little in the way of scholarship. I had no family financial support. I used loans, worked, applied for award contests, and picked schools with low tuition. I never came close to getting anywhere near 50k in debt. My first job out of college I worked with a person who had the same job I did. She owed over 60k in debt. If you owe that much money it’s your own fault.
some of this is when did you go to school. For instance my first semester at the University of Arizona was i believe in 1988 and tuition was 600 dollars. I received a pell grant which more then covered my entire cost of attendance and even if it didn't i had a student job paying 5.25 an hr at 20 hrs a week. If i lived at home that job could have paid my tuition each semester. The last time i checked the cost today is around 6k a semester over 10 times the cost and no student job is paying 50 bucks an hour. In fact my student job was working for a Deans office and the most common complaint i heard around the office was that the students had way to much money and they(the department)had to do without so they should just charge students more because they could get more student aid. I always remembered that as I watched the cost of attendance vastly go up over the years.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:46 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
How does this help the majority of people who don't have college degrees, a disproportionate number of whom are minority?

Seems like a white privilege bill.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:53 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Give everyone 50k to comply with the 14th amendment.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:55 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Terrible idea.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:11 AM

3,524 posts, read 3,728,884 times
They took out those loans so that they didn't have to be a line cook or a janitor, and now the line cooks and janitors are going to help bail them out. Disgraceful, but that's America in 2021.

Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 AM

1,744 posts, read 877,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
They took out those loans so that they didn't have to be a line cook or a janitor, and now the line cooks and janitors are going to help bail them out. Disgraceful, but that's America in 2021.

That's right. And wait until they find out they have to pay taxes on the forgiven debt.

The tax payers who have been responsible end up footing the whole bill for this and the people it will benefit most are the higher income people, not the low income ones. Most low income people go to school on scholarships if they apply themselves in earlier schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies