Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times

Advertisements

Worship? Hmmmm. Who does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 04:48 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You are grossly misinformed, Musk is a workaholic and down to earth in person / self-deprecating - the furthest thing you can imagine from being a narcissist. NASA gave him a fraction of the budget that they gave Boeing and SpaceX has WILDLY exceeded their expectations while Boeing has barely gotten off the ground. And his Starship rocket is PRIVATELY funded

FYI, no more Cobalt in Tesla batteries:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...tant-move-yet/

He is basically singlehandedly responsible for the eventual phase out of all gasoline cars

EDIT: AHHHHHHHHHH OK I see your angle now, you're a short seller of TSLA stock and you got killed. No sympathy, take the L bro
For once we agree on something. Elon Musk works harder than alot of people. His hard work, I respect it.

BTW, I bought and sold Tesla a few times a got a few dollars from it. Whenever Musk talks about DOGE, the prices for DOGE go up.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Worship? Hmmmm. Who does that?
I respect the work that Musk does. I do not worship Musk. He is only a man. He isn't God.

Old 02-05-2021, 04:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I respect the work that Musk does. I do not worship Musk. He is only a man. He isn't God.
Yeah I don't know anyone who worships him, that's just weird. He's a role model and someone to behold in the same way as someone like Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky

Old 02-05-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Yeah I don't know anyone who worships him, that's just weird. He's a role model and someone to behold in the same way as someone like Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky
He has a work ethic that is to be respected.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He has a work ethic that is to be respected.
Yeah that's a common thing among guys like him, Bezos is the same way. Insane workaholics

In school the biggest predictor of success at the university level is hours spent on studying / homework, not social class or IQ or wealth. In the professional world it at least allows you to stand out among the other employees

Old 02-05-2021, 05:08 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Underfunded.
Are you serious? They're building the SLS, a colossal boondoggle that is on track to absorb 9.1 billion just in development cost. They're burning money to get at some sort of launch capacity, recycling 70s tech, and an optimistic estimate put SLS at 1.3 billion per launch.

Quote:
Spending cuts that go to paying SpaceX.
Tosh. SpaceX received 2.6 billion to develop and fly manned missions to the ISS. (Boeing got 4.2 billion, being the senior player.) And unlike the SLS and Boeing's attempt at manned missions, SpaceX's spacecraft work.

Quote:
Privatization was a choice, not a personal success story.
Falcon 9 received less than 400 million in seed money from NASA and the taxpayer gets a much better deal. NASA spent more money on that for a launch support tower used once for the dog-and-pony show known as Ares-Ix.

If the taxpayer wants stuff in orbit, SpaceX delivers at a much better price. And that's not even debatable.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:24 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you serious? They're building the SLS, a colossal boondoggle that is on track to absorb 9.1 billion just in development cost. They're burning money to get at some sort of launch capacity, recycling 70s tech, and an optimistic estimate put SLS at 1.3 billion per launch.

Tosh. SpaceX received 2.6 billion to develop and fly manned missions to the ISS. (Boeing got 4.2 billion, being the senior player.) And unlike the SLS and Boeing's attempt at manned missions, SpaceX's spacecraft work.

Falcon 9 received less than 400 million in seed money from NASA and the taxpayer gets a much better deal. NASA spent more money on that for a launch support tower used once for the dog-and-pony show known as Ares-Ix.

If the taxpayer wants stuff in orbit, SpaceX delivers at a much better price. And that's not even debatable.
Spending costs go up over time as material and regulations make things more expensive.

Space X willfully ignores regulation set by the FAA.

NASA has lost a significant portion of its funding since the moon landing as percentage of spending:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget...et-Federal.svg

There is a reason NASA was affective, and there is a reason its not. Giving funding through competition (lie between SpaceX and Blue Origins) just redistributes talent for the private sector, and slashes funding.

In 1966 we were at over four percent of federal spending, no it's under 1 percent. Actually I think we are at the point where it is reaching funding levels from where it first started in 1958.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Spending costs go up over time as material and regulations make things more expensive.
Also a complete lie. SpaceX is revolutionary with a never before done re-usable lower stage model. Nobody was crazy enough to even think about let alone successfully land them upright and reuse them a couple days later.

Skip to 3:22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1Y2JMK6g8

Over time SpaceX costs come down, DRAMATICALLY

Old 02-05-2021, 05:34 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,871 times
My stepdad just got a new Tesla S...man it's a fun car to drive...if I had the money, I'd definitely get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies