Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 04:20 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Some people here post such absolute crap that I can't help but think that they are on one of many of Sorros' payrolls.

Three things about credit

Pay the min monthly payment on time, at a minimum
Keep the balace to available credit ratio low
Don't have too many cards with balances
Keep the credit lines open as long as you can.

You do those things and you're fine.

I've had 800 plus rating for many many yrs now. That said I do get that things can happen and life can throw you for a curve at times.

Crap for brains screwing around with this stuff is nothing more than him throwing some red meat to the pinhead lefty crowd.
Ah were it that simple, and simplistic.

You can get penalized for living in the "wrong" area or for some debt you didn't even know you had because no one sent you the bill. You get penalized for things that are not your fault or things that defy logic.

This is just about transparency, yes we should know exactly what is going on with our own information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2021, 04:25 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The credit bureaus have way too much power and their formulas often don't make sense. They should be heavily regulated and transparent. They have "secret" scores beyond those that we can see, that are not accessible to us, just business to business.

I was dinged by an insurance company over something that is not in any of my reports. It was a small leftover utility bill from long ago that was never forwarded to my new address, and now it is not payable- no one knows what happened to it so I cannot fix it. I have had ZERO late payments on anything as long as I can remember and I get hit with a higher insurance rate because of one thing I did not cause, and cannot access and cannot fix. We need consumer protection from this kind of thing.
you have some good points, but the reality is, your utility bill ran until X date, yes? Let's sat your normal yle was the 28th of the month, but you occupied until the 30th of the month. It is your responsibility to know "I should have a utility bill for 2 days; I better get it straight", not the utility company's, and not the post office's.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:29 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ah were it that simple, and simplistic.

You can get penalized for living in the "wrong" area or for some debt you didn't even know you had because no one sent you the bill. You get penalized for things that are not your fault or things that defy logic.

This is just about transparency, yes we should know exactly what is going on with our own information.
It is simple. Take charge of your credit life, so to speak. I do acknowledge that things can happen, I guess you skimmed that part though.

Barring a major life crisis maintaining a good to high credit rating is a crucial and fairly easy goal to achieve.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:40 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you have some good points, but the reality is, your utility bill ran until X date, yes? Let's sat your normal yle was the 28th of the month, but you occupied until the 30th of the month. It is your responsibility to know "I should have a utility bill for 2 days; I better get it straight", not the utility company's, and not the post office's.
No they made a mistake. It was a home sale and I received final bills, I hadn't been living in the home at the time. They made an error in the final bill. Then sent a bill with the extra amount to the old address and it never got forwarded to me. I just never knew about it and it was not on any of my credit reports, until an insurance company somehow dug it up. I would have liked the transparency of knowing this existed, if they insurance co knew, why didn't I?

Old 02-06-2021, 04:43 PM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
It wouldmean zip to me. I'm debt free, never have to work, or take a loan ever again. My credit score was 830 last I looked, but who cares? I'm all cash all the time.

It will drive up interest rates because lenders will not be able to assess borrowers, so they'll just jack up interest rates on everyone.

Mr. McGoo is an idiot, but fortunately, I'm insulated from his stupidity.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:57 PM

52,193 posts, read 52,623,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It wouldmean zip to me. I'm debt free, never have to work, or take a loan ever again. My credit score was 830 last I looked, but who cares? I'm all cash all the time.

It will drive up interest rates because lenders will not be able to assess borrowers, so they'll just jack up interest rates on everyone.

Mr. McGoo is an idiot, but fortunately, I'm insulated from his stupidity.
I'm fairly liquid overall in my assests and dont require much in terms of loans, I can pay cash if the water heater takes a dump or whatever. Not too worried.

Overall I still think this move by crap for brains isn't good. Just another lefty virtue signallng move for the regressive left crowd.

The far left always seems to blame everyone else but themselves for whatever problems they have.

I sound like my dad here, but after awhile one needs to do some reflection on their own lives.

Do you really need that latestest 1k iPhone that Apple drops every so often? Do ya need that daily 5 dollar frappy dappy whipty do da every day. Do you need to eat out 5 days a week?

This stuff adds up man.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:57 PM

25,684 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Biden Wants to Shut Down Credit Bureaus – What Would That Mean for You?
Soaring interest rates. The lenders are going to cover their butts one way or another. Biden's way is 50% interest rates. Legalized loan sharking.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:09 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,052,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
oh, some backtracking.

The problem isn't the "banks" (those that fall under FDIC regulations).

The problem is outfits that the banks would buy paper (loans) from that were (and are) predatory. That's where the government could try to find a solution, that would harm nobody but predatory lenders.

If "Citibank" says "Oh, we won't make loans where we need to charge people a 10% rate premium, but we'll buy the loans from QuickMoneyisU$", then that's a fine place for the government to intervene.

Yup, you got it all figured out. My work is done here.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:12 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
This is insidious.

Equal outcome guaranteed regardless of track record. "Wipe the slate clean".

Yikes... what could go wrong?
Goes to show you how he hasn't thought this out. In the absence of any way to tell who is trustworthy or not, people would use judgments about people's skin color / economic mobility.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:18 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,259,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
This is insidious.

Equal outcome guaranteed regardless of track record. "Wipe the slate clean".

Yikes... what could go wrong?
It’s already gone “wrong” .... we saw the Movie in 2008-2009 and KNOW how it ends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies