Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 08:37 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,389,880 times

Advertisements

History class turned into "Social Studies", and here we are.

We were warned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQPs...98224958738258
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2021, 09:19 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am a teacher with a college student in my classes and she does some teaching. I give her free reign to make her own lessons as she sees fit. She is all about the social justice stuff. I think it is a bit much, but I am pro free speech and let her do it and haven't discouraged her lessons.

She recently recorded herself teaching a lesson for college and her college professor sent me an email that she needed to be more social justice and should have talked more about Kamala Harris (because the topic was suffragettes in the early 1900s, so apparently her 1 to 2 minutes of praise of Kamala Harris wasn't enough for the topic, but there should have been a focus on Harris as the result of the suffragettes instead of talking about the tactics and arguments used a century ago). She spent a nice chunk mentioning social justice themes through multiple eras and how the 19th amendment fell short (black women being excluded from voting in several states through racist laws), but it wasn't enough for the professor either who wanted "stronger social justice messaging." Unreal.

History can't be history and critical thinking and writing skills. History can't be just 30% social justice. History must be all social justice all the time!

I remember being indoctrinated by my professors to be social justice warriors back then too. Point blank telling us to teach for social justice to change society. That "students will forget history, so teach change."
If you believe in free speech and allowing the teaching student to present her woke lessons to your students, I hope you later at least provided your students a counterpoint and counterargument. That would've been a good opportunity to teach your students critical thinking skills and maybe immunity to being indoctrinated in the future by woke educators which is sure to happen.

Old 02-07-2021, 09:28 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I've often wondered where "woke" comes from. How is it that very young people are so often the wokest of all? Who or what is causing that? Seems like education professors are as good an answer as any. They throw critical race/gender theory into the pond of a peaceful society and the waves of radicalism just keep rippling outward. They directly indoctrinate their own college students who become teachers and pass it on to children in K-12. The kids grow up to be SJWs on Twitter, Democratic Party voters and moms who feed the system with more minds ready for indoctrination.
Yes I believe that is where woke originated from, college professors indoctrinate students with it and the students particularly those entering primary school education indoctrinate children. I remember when I was in primary school there was an almost night and day difference between the old school teachers who had graduated college before the 1960s and the new school teachers graduating in the 1960s and later.

At this point, woke is being disseminated from almost every where, the news and entertainment media, corporations, the Democratic party and government and even some churches now.

Old 02-07-2021, 10:31 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Lack of what terminology? "Teacher Assistant?" Every college has its own terminology for this phase.

Or the liberal newspeak terminology that Kamala Harris broke through barriers of being a woman in politics and a person of color.
A student teacher and a TA are two different things in a public education classroom, but, go on with your tale.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:08 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's to provide an educationally conducive environment in the home to supplement what's happening at school. The breakdown occurred when US public schools stopped being about academics and critical thinking skills and started being vessels of social justice change.
I am not saying that I agree with the focus on social justice. There are other changes that happened in school that I blame for the decline in school performance. (The introduction of phonics is one example.)

However, if a parent's job is simply to supplement what's happening at the school, that leaves the school with the responsibility on deciding what is happening at school.

Therefore, I think the mindset that all a parent has to do is supplement is too passive.

Quote:
We can pinpoint exactly when that change happened... Beginning in the 1960s, SJW education gurus began making radical changes in the US K-12 education system to specifically social engineer "equal educational outcomes" in an effort to achieve "equality" and "social cohesion." Naturally, they achieved neither, and all we're left with now is a deliberately dumbed-down populace. Here's how it happened, and why:

The Other Crisis in American Education - The Atlantic

Much more at the link.

Millennials are the least capable US generation (in literacy, math, and technology knowledge/skills as measured by OECD's PIAAC - ), so far:

How we know US millennials have been severely under-educated...

U.S. millennials post ‘abysmal’ scores in literacy, math,and tech skills test, lag behind foreign peers - Washington Post

Let that sink in...

"But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope."

Gen Z (Zoomers) is likely to be even worse still, given the following just-released NAEP 12th grade test results:

12th Grade Reading: 36% At or Above Proficient
12th Grade Math: 24% At or Above Proficient

The huge race gaps remain, with Hispanics and Blacks severely lagging their Asian and White peers, with proficiency rates in the single digit percentages.

https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/

The US public school rot is widespread, intentional, and systemic.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:15 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
What an odd thing for her professor to do. Why would they bother giving you instructions when it is the student who is being taught not you.

Not sure this one incident is indicative of anything in general.

Anecdotal indeed!
It makes no sense whatsoever. And I gather we are to extrapolate this one incident to the entire country?

Pffft.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:24 PM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am not saying that I agree with the focus on social justice. There are other changes that happened in school that I blame for the decline in school performance. (The introduction of phonics is one example.)

However, if a parent's job is simply to supplement what's happening at the school, that leaves the school with the responsibility on deciding what is happening at school.

Therefore, I think the mindset that all a parent has to do is supplement is too passive.
The problem is that schools have kids for 7 hours/day M-F. That's why they're expected to teach an academic (reading, writing, math, history, science) curriculum, NOT the useless social justice indoctrination crap with which they currently bombard students.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,881 times
Quote:
The problem is that schools have kids for 7 hours/day M-F. That's why they're expected to teach an academic (reading, writing, math, history, science) curriculum, NOT the useless social justice indoctrination crap with which they currently bombard students.
I never received a social justice education. I went to school in the 80s and 90s. My daughter is going to public school now. As far as I can tell, she is not receiving a social justice education. She is learning about language arts, math, history, science, music, and art.

One of her teachers decided to retire rather than return to the classroom. Her next teacher picked up right where he left off which is ancient China.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:20 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Really? Until I was comfortable with a student teacher/intern I'd never ever consider giving them "free reign" in my classroom. That would be borderline negligence.
Especially since the correct way to write that phrase is "free REIN."

Old 02-07-2021, 01:49 PM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I never received a social justice education. I went to school in the 80s and 90s. My daughter is going to public school now. As far as I can tell, she is not receiving a social justice education. She is learning about language arts, math, history, science, music, and art.

One of her teachers decided to retire rather than return to the classroom. Her next teacher picked up right where he left off which is ancient China.
If you're indoctrinated, you wouldn't recognize it. It would just seem normal to you. Seems that's where you are.

This is all documented. One of my earlier posts in this thread explained that the switch from academics to social conditioning in the US public education system began in the 1960s. It also explained the documented deleterious effects of that switch in focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies