Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 AM

24,385 posts, read 9,256,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If I had to pick between being a slave and being dead, I'd pick being dead.
If your ancestors thought that, then you would've never been born.

African kings sold your ancestors to white slave owners, and those American slaves did what they could to survive so now we're here. And I don't see many Black Americans wishing they were born in Africa.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:03 AM

24,385 posts, read 9,256,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Back in those days Republicans were called N-lovers...boy how things have changed. Every body owned slaves; Indians, church leaders, abolitionist, factories, businesses. Racism didn't have a political party.
If racism didn't have a political party the civil war would've never occurred.

Democrats are the party of slavery, KKK, and Jim Crow, you can't change your History.

Hitler could've accepted Jesus before he died, he's still Hitler. He can't change his history.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:04 AM

11,968 posts, read 8,293,189 times
Addressed to Manigault -

That's interpretation after the fact and good introspection from the fomenting side of the equation.

But truly there is nothing in the lyrics that indicates threat or foresees the future. It's all arguable interpretation from the eyes of the future and used to stir divisive emotions not unity and harmony. One can chose to take the word at face value since you can't read minds and don't want to create hatred and fear where it could harm people.

Depends on what kind of an emotional climate you want to create, I guess.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 AM

12,910 posts, read 13,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"It was adopted during "Red Summer" in 1919 when it was clear white people didn't want to share their country with black people."

"Every body owned slaves."

I have to say you are prone to hyperbole and cast a pretty wide net with your assumptions. You'd think the USA was absolutely rabid with cruel slave owners but slave owners were always in the minority. And only a minority of those visited violence on their slaves. For the sensible man slaves were too expensive to damage.

With the sensitivities we have today even typing those words sounds hideous. To me owning another human regardless of whether you feed and clothe him is an ugly thought.

You'd be more accurate if you said, SOME people didn't want to share their country and owning slaves was more common. You hold yourself in pretty high regard if you think everyone hated you. A lot of us in the north grew up without ever even meeting a Black person. Other than history class it didn't cross anyone's mind to talk about Black people. I know as late as my pre-college days I had no opinion one way or the other since I had never had the opportunity to meet a Black person.

No MN citizen residing in the State of MN ever owned a slave. It was against the law from the day Statehood was declared. That was radical enlightenment and support for the mid-1800s. I suppose nobody teaches that.

The church? White people? Those were the people and the institutions who initiated the movement to free the slaves. Why would they do that if they didn't consider you citizens? They wanted that change and fought for it. How can anyone forget that?

The "everybody" in my post was intended to mean you could find slave owners from many walks of life not just wealthy white Southerners. Even in "Free State Kansas " there were slaves.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:28 PM

9,413 posts, read 4,261,272 times
We've got waaay bigger problems than worrying about "the black national anthem". It's not hurting anyone, it makes some people happy, and it's a beautiful song. Where's the downside?

Old 02-12-2021, 07:44 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,647,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
We've got waaay bigger problems than worrying about "the black national anthem". It's not hurting anyone, it makes some people happy, and it's a beautiful song. Where's the downside?
It’s racist. Divisive too.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:52 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,272,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
It’s racist. Divisive too.
Uh, no it's not.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,647,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Uh, no it's not.
Uh, yeah it is. So is showing BLM crap right before the game as part of their wokeness. BLM are racist terrorists who have incited multiple insurrections. People like you who can’t possibly see it are part of the problem.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:58 PM

18,654 posts, read 7,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
It's carefully reminding black people how oppressed they are, by bosses, landlords, police, etc.... when in fact they're no more oppressed than white people are.

IOW it helps further the "oppression and racism" lie the media and other Democrats have been spreading, which was one of the main driving factors of the 2020 summer riots. How many did those riots kill and injure? How many $$ of damage? How many assaults?

You were looking for a downside, I believe?

Old 02-13-2021, 06:49 AM

12,910 posts, read 13,589,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
It's carefully reminding black people how oppressed they are, by bosses, landlords, police, etc.... when in fact they're no more oppressed than white people are.

IOW it helps further the "oppression and racism" lie the media and other Democrats have been spreading, which was one of the main driving factors of the 2020 summer riots. How many did those riots kill and injure? How many $$ of damage? How many assaults?

You were looking for a downside, I believe?
Maybe white people have to be reminded, explained , shown how they are oppressed but with black people its like putting on a coat when its freezing outside. We don't need "reminding"

Lift every voice and sing is not like "Remember the Alamo." It is about acceptance of a circumstance and how to preserver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies