Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:40 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
What exactly is racist about Aunt Jemima? Is it the name? If so, then why not change the name? They could call it "Aunt Pearl" if they wanted to bring in the history of the Pearl Milling Company. But no, instead, they've removed an image of a pleasant, friendly black woman -- because, apparently, scrubbing minority women from product packaging is not considered racist (or sexist).
Aunt Jemima was based on a racial stereotype. The logo is basically a mammy content to serve her white masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:54 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Aunt Jemima was based on a racial stereotype. The logo is basically a mammy content to serve her white masters.
Maybe to some but not all and maybe not most. Her own family doesn't seem to see it that way. I know I never saw it that way.

What about KFC? That Sanders guy sure seems like a Klucker to me. WE need to change him to something else. Like a city family making air fried chicken. Make it a mixed race family with 2 gay dads or 2 lesbian moms, throw in a transgender aunt.

Opening scene of the commercial? Little Newt 6 years old, who still hasn't decided what they Identify as yet, runs in the house and yells, "Oh it, smells good. I love Kentucky Air fried skinless Chicken. I hope you got the kale juice and carrot sticks."

Yeah real interesting LOL.

Should we do away with American Christmas story because of the Chinese restaurant scene? Those Chinese and the R and L sounds right? Psssst Not just Chinese struggle with those 2 sounds. So do Thai, Lao, Cambodian, Burmese and a few others. LOL

Old 02-12-2021, 03:13 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Sounds like you’re the one with the problem if that’s how you see it.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:08 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Quote:
I never saw it like that before; thank you for shinning a light on your perceived racism. Just don't project that racism of yours on everyone else.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:55 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Can't tell if you're explaining the twisted thinking of progressive outrage warriors or defending it?
Response: Opinion

I'm old school and Conservative.
Hope that clears the air.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:39 AM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would eat that garbage. The mix is horrible and it is absurdly easy to make from scratch. The Syrup is fake, lol, why would anyone eat fake syrup?
Why would anyone elect a fake president?

Old 02-12-2021, 06:56 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtheCat View Post
You might also want to ask those same bolded questions of those who were so upset by the original box pics, that they somehow equated Pancake mix and Rice boxes with White supremacy and racism?
Somehow I doubt that ever crossed your mind, right?
I was thinking the same.
Funny how that works isnt it.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:01 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
The imagery appears to be trading on the minstrel show and the black mammy stereotype but the real story behind Aunt Jemima isn't that straightforward. Were you curious enough to find out what that story was? Aunt J was based on a real woman named Nancy Green who was born a slave in Kentucky, worked as a domestic post abolition for a well off white family who later promoted her to the Davis Milling Company for the role of Aunt Jemima in their ad campaign. She did quite well at the job and parlayed it into becoming the founding member of one of Chicago's largest black Baptist churches where she worked as a missionary for the rest of her life advocating anti-poverty programs. She lived to 89, still working as a spokesperson for the Aunt Jemima brand while at the same time pursuing missionary work for social justice. I would say that lady did not live her life in silent subservience and used her position as Aunt Jemima to make a positive impact on the world. It's a truism of life that two seemingly incompatible things can exist side by side. Things aren't always as black and white as you're told are they?

Old 02-12-2021, 09:59 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
The imagery appears to be trading on the minstrel show and the black mammy stereotype but the real story behind Aunt Jemima isn't that straightforward. Were you curious enough to find out what that story was? Aunt J was based on a real woman named Nancy Green who was born a slave in Kentucky, worked as a domestic post abolition for a well off white family who later promoted her to the Davis Milling Company for the role of Aunt Jemima in their ad campaign. She did quite well at the job and parlayed it into becoming the founding member of one of Chicago's largest black Baptist churches where she worked as a missionary for the rest of her life advocating anti-poverty programs. She lived to 89, still working as a spokesperson for the Aunt Jemima brand while at the same time pursuing missionary work for social justice. I would say that lady did not live her life in silent subservience and used her position as Aunt Jemima to make a positive impact on the world. It's a truism of life that two seemingly incompatible things can exist side by side. Things aren't always as black and white as you're told are they?
Nice post. I remember this story from a few months ago and thought about relaying it here but thought it a waste of time. These far left types already have a narrative on the story and they need that narrative to push the agenda. If I remember correctly the descendants of Nancy Green have tried to make this story public but the prevailing left wing view is all that can be heard over the noise. Too bad this lady is not still alive because I bet she would rip these pathetic SJWs a new one.

We can teach them a lesson ourselves by not buying the product. Drive it out of existence. If we made a terrible example of a few of these “woke” companies then we could remove politics from our commercial experience. As I said in my first post, I do not want politically correct pancakes.

Aunt Jemima has been an American icon for over 100 years. Who are these sniveling little millennials to demand the world be changed for their sensibilities. They should have learned to be proper Americans, but instead they are a traitorous lot of SJWs and leftists. They are everything our fathers and grandfathers fought against in WW2. They are totalitarian book burning, history re writing little Orwellians right out of 1984.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 AM

7,363 posts, read 3,529,717 times
I was hoping that Caitlyn Jenner would be the new product image. They could call it pearl necklace baking company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies