Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 10:34 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

I know many are focused on Democrats blocking Trump from running again... a sizable portion of the GOP doesn't want it either - as the enjoy the environment of the swamp as well.

What they don't get, like Democrats don't want to get - is that it's really not about Trump. If these Senators, and Congress in general, would simply seek to improve the country as Trump did for many regular Americans, there would be no problem. But they sell themselves out just like Democrats.

GOP Senators Warn Trump Won’t Be Able to Run Again 'Even if He's Not Convicted'

According to The Hill’s reporting, one GOP senator “suggested that Democrats may ultimately help the GOP by sidelining Trump.”

“‘Unwittingly, they are doing us a favor. They’re making Donald Trump disqualified to run for president’ even if he is acquitted," the senator said.

Other Republican senators “say it would be a good thing if the impeachment trial helps distance the party from Trump, who has thoroughly dominated GOP politics over the past five years.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 03:14 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Ironic.
Democrats are trying to prevent Trump from running again and he is the only person they could beat!
If they let him run again in 2024 the Dems would win. Again.

I'm a Republican and I would be glad to see his name not mentioned in 2024.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:16 PM

10,773 posts, read 4,353,901 times
Harris won't be getting 74 million votes in 2024, that I can tell you.
Biden only got 81 million votes because of Trump outrage, and that outrage will fade dramatically in the coming years.
Trump will be getting 74-80 million votes, if the rumors are true about Trump News Network.... he'll be more popular than ever.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:19 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know many are focused on Democrats blocking Trump from running again... a sizable portion of the GOP doesn't want it either - as the enjoy the environment of the swamp as well.

What they don't get, like Democrats don't want to get - is that it's really not about Trump. If these Senators, and Congress in general, would simply seek to improve the country as Trump did for many regular Americans, there would be no problem. But they sell themselves out just like Democrats.

GOP Senators Warn Trump Won’t Be Able to Run Again 'Even if He's Not Convicted'

According to The Hill’s reporting, one GOP senator “suggested that Democrats may ultimately help the GOP by sidelining Trump.”

“‘Unwittingly, they are doing us a favor. They’re making Donald Trump disqualified to run for president’ even if he is acquitted," the senator said.

Other Republican senators “say it would be a good thing if the impeachment trial helps distance the party from Trump, who has thoroughly dominated GOP politics over the past five years.”
I agree with you.

Many of the issues shouldn’t be repudiated. It is Trump who should be repudiated.

He shouldn’t be the messenger, and supporting him damages the credibility of people raising the issues.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:20 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Ironic.
Democrats are trying to prevent Trump from running again and he is the only person they could beat!
If they let him run again in 2024 the Dems would win. Again.

I'm a Republican and I would be glad to see his name not mentioned in 2024.
Its the tradeoff. Trump is 100% unelectable. If they had barred him from running because of his actions it would protect the country from him doing this again. And if he runs in 2024 and loses (which he would), he will attempt a insurrection again.

So...risk the country vs's guaranteeing a Democrat president win in 2024. They picked country over party. It is the right thing to do.

But yeah, McConnell threw away any chance at the presidency in 2024, but protected himself from Trump going after him. (Which honestly he didn't-Trump has ZERO loyalty to anyone.)

Old 02-13-2021, 03:26 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Any reasonable Republican will be able to beat Biden or Harris in 2024.
They will have exposed their ineptitude and shortcomings by then. The 81 million Democrat voters will never be seen again. The 75 million Republicans will return.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Any reasonable Republican will be able to beat Biden or Harris in 2024.
They will have exposed their ineptitude and shortcomings by then. The 81 million Democrat voters will never be seen again. The 75 million Republicans will return.
LOL. Reality is, its HARD to predict the future. Some things such as technological development is not too hard, but your claim of "ineptitude and shortcomings" has very little evidence so far. But sure, those 75 million republicans will show up again.

Except right now we are watching the GOP go after each other over Trump, and I dont think this is going to go away. Trump really might end up giving Democrats the government in full for a long time.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
I changed to the Libertarian party last year, even though I disagree with their whackier platform items, because I will not belong to "the party of Trump."

Trump isn't going to run again. Nobody will give him air time, except maybe Parlor, and besides he'll be like 110 ( well ok, 78?). He'll probably have a coronary from stress and too many cheeseburgers by then anyway.

Mitt Romney, he's your guy!

Old 02-13-2021, 03:35 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
This was not about Trump running again. IMO we accomplished the most important thing. We put the GOP on record for supporting Trump’s actions. There is NOTHING Trump could do that they won’t make excuses for.

They said he’s no longer in office yet McConnell delayed the trial to make sure of that. They said he couldn’t be charged as president and now they acquit because he’s not. At the end of the day, Trump is the GOP and the GOP is Trump.

McConnell’s speech after voting to acquit was a joke. He’s trying to cleanse himself but we all know McConnell enabled Trump’s acquittal.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I changed to the Libertarian party last year, even though I disagree with their whackier platform items, because I will not belong to "the party of Trump."

Trump isn't going to run again. Nobody will give him air time, except maybe Parlor, and besides he'll be like 110 ( well ok, 78?). He'll probably have a coronary from stress and too many cheeseburgers by then anyway.

Mitt Romney, he's your guy!
Romney would be dangerous for the Democrats if Republicans supported him. But that is unlikely at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies