Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:27 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,060,858 times

Advertisements

As well as he should have.

Parading our national anthem around every corner cheapens it. It should only be played when a national team plays a game.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:31 AM

16,404 posts, read 8,482,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Probably not.

I grew up with God Save the Queen. We also had freedom and remembered those who have given their lives for our freedom, but we didn't feel the urge to blast out that droning anthem every sporting event unless we were playing a different country, in you know, one of those sports that other countries actually play.
With all due respect, I do not compare what we do as Americans with any other country, even allies such as the UK.
Also and no offense intended, but reverence for an individual based on their bloodline is not the same thing as honoring fellow average Joe's, who bled on the battlefield. But remember, us Yanks are not fans of the monarchy like you Brits are.

I don't know about you, but I have flown the American flag at my house more years than not. I take pride in our country and always have. I also honor and respect those who went to war and never came back, as well as the ones who did, but were maimed physically and emotionally.

Additionally, I do not look at this as a right/left issue, nor should it be.
However it does seem that most of those who are either ambivalent, or actually opposed to the national anthem being played are on the left.
I am really not sure why, as they should have just as much pride, reverence and appreciation as someone on the right.
I have voted for both parties in the past, and would still vote for a (D) if there are any still out there who are moderate, reasoned and pragmatic.
Sadly that is becoming harder to find these days.
But that is still no reason for those on the left to not honor our flag and what it represents.

`

Old 02-10-2021, 09:35 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,526,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Any thing to get attention.
Looks like you’re not comprehending. Try again. People didn’t notice. But now that it’s been pointed out by the OP.......OUTRAGED!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2021, 09:37 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,540,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
But remember, us Yanks are not fans of the monarchy like you Brits are.
Oh, please. I'm a Republican (in the old sense of the word, the family can rot as far as I'm concerned.). Interestingly, when England play separate from Scotland and Northern Ireland, say in cricket matches against India or Australia we play Jerusalem, not God Save the Queen.

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I have flown the American flag at my house more years than not. I take pride in our country and always have. I also honor and respect those who went to war and never came back, as well as the ones who did, but were maimed physically and emotionally.
Likewise, I also have a flag outside. The flag outside our houses is not the same as having a mandatory anthem before every sporting event.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:43 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,738,615 times
I vote we send Cuban over the Russia. That's where he belongs.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Here comes the posters who don't watch the NBA, yet say they're outraged about this and will loudly proclaim they won't watch any more. Lol

National Anthems in the NBA & NHL were always weird with how international the sport is. Then you have the whole strict cultural ritual around the national anthem as of late. Everyone must stand, take off your hat, place your hand on heart, look serious, stare at a piece of cloth while someone sings a song.

If someone doesn't follow the rules exactly then a large group of people will become so offended that they will publicly denounce you and announce to everyone they no longer will support you or the sport (but will tune in next week anyways).

I was in a school working a couple years ago & forgot students still have to do the pledge of allegiance. It felt so corny & out of place like the national anthem. I guess I never actually thought about the words as a kid, but it's weird they're making kids pledge allegiance to a flag. A flag?!

Why is honoring the flag and what it represents "weird"?
You sound like either a rebel or the "too cool for school type". But there are always critics and malcontents who want to stop XYZ because something in it might offend them.

Many a school no longer mandates the Pledge of Allegiance, and maybe in some part, that contributes to the attitude of those who do not feel as patriotic as we once were.
Some may call it indoctrination, but better to be indoctrinated into respecting our way of life and freedom, rather than wanting to knock our country for not being perfect.

Another thing the pledge does is remind kids we are not a democracy, rather a republic. It also tries to inspire us to think of a greater cause than ourselves, and that we are all in this together.
Considering how divided our country currently is, anything that can help instill some unity would be very welcome.

`

Old 02-10-2021, 09:54 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,252,042 times
I don't know, I try to steer clear of outrage over things. But, this is a country that has allowed Mark Cuban to become a billionaire and let's these players play a kids game for a kings ransom as a job. Does it really hurt anyone to stand for the National Anthem before the game for 2 minutes? Even if you think it's weird to do, does it really hurt anyone?

Not that it matters, but my friend who visited from Germany went to a Cavs game with me once and she thought it was the coolest thing we did that before things. Her opinion doesn't matter in scheme of things, nor does mine, but I thought it was nice someone from another country thought it was really cool we took a few minutes before a game to do that.

Will I get ripped for this reply? Something tells me yes. LOL.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Oh, please. I'm a Republican (in the old sense of the word, the family can rot as far as I'm concerned.). Interestingly, when England play separate from Scotland and Northern Ireland, say in cricket matches against India or Australia we play Jerusalem, not God Save the Queen.

Likewise, I also have a flag outside. The flag outside our houses is not the same as having a mandatory anthem before every sporting event.
I never implied a flag outside the house was the same.

The English play Jerusalem? I didn't think you guys were Jews, rather CoE adherents.

As to being a Republican in the old sense, you mean like an Irish Republican?

`

Old 02-10-2021, 10:08 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,540,569 times
Quote:
I never implied a flag outside the house was the same.

The English play Jerusalem? I didn't think you guys were Jews, rather CoE adherents.

As to being a Republican in the old sense, you mean like an Irish Republican?

`
Jerusalem is a hymn by William Blake, quite rousing but linguistically, fairly confusing.

All for Irish Republicanism too, peaceably achieved. But if we're going to start apologizing for English imperialism, we'll be here all day.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:20 AM

41,885 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Contrived elitism at its finest right here.
Whoosh!

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I have flown the American flag at my house more years than not.
That doesn't make you any more of a patriot than anyone else.

Mark Cuban is responsible for employing hundreds of people. The Mark Cuban personnally and the Dallas Mavericks and their foundation both donate millions of dollars each year to charity. Is that not patriotic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.