Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2021, 09:51 AM

1,050 posts, read 444,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I come here to learn. So teach me mr. expert. I happily admit when I don’t know about a subject. I think you are an expert and opine on constitutional law as well. Another legal category I have much to learn about. I do have a legal background btw but am far far from an expert on these specific topics.
I'm not an expert either, but see my post at 103.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 10:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,909,227 times
Good news! With the newly announced House select committee to investigate Jan. 6., we can get to the bottom of the Ashli shooting!

This should help.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:28 AM

24,537 posts, read 13,035,277 times
Quote:
Clearly everyone else on this post has much more experience suing federal officers. You should bow to their vast knowledge on the subject. One case? Hmfff. They've been served as counsel on dozens. You could learn a thing or 2 or 3 from these folks
Quote:
I come here to learn. So teach me mr. expert. I happily admit when I don’t know about a subject. I think you are an expert and opine on constitutional law as well. Another legal category I have much to learn about. I do have a legal background btw but am far far from an expert on these specific topics.
The poster you were propping up stated the family was "suing a federal officer". Even when it was suggested to that poster that they should actually look to see who it is being sued and why, that poster kept doubling down about the family "suing a federal officer". Then, you popped in and basically (and wrongfully) agreed that a federal officer was being sued. Weird that you and the other poster would think someone's parents would name their kid "District of Columbia" or "Capitol Police", like you two believe that is what that officers name is.

At least I know enough to actually look things up, unlike you two.

And, save your snark, unless you're a troll.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:48 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,292,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The poster you were propping up stated the family was "suing a federal officer". Even when it was suggested to that poster that they should actually look to see who it is being sued and why, that poster kept doubling down about the family "suing a federal officer". Then, you popped in and basically (and wrongfully) agreed that a federal officer was being sued. Weird that you and the other poster would think someone's parents would name their kid "District of Columbia" or "Capitol Police", like you two believe that is what that officers name is.

At least I know enough to actually look things up, unlike you two.

And, save your snark, unless you're a troll.
I'll count on you to set me straight if you think you are the best of all the posters to learn from.
I have a few judges in my family and I often ask them about such stuff. I've also worked with senators in drafting (groundbreaking) federal and state law and have testified on legislation so know a little about that- but I am no way a constitutional expert- although I have worked with them in DC and am humbled. I also have a pretty good understanding of tax law and my state's family law from previous jobs.
May I ask what your background is? I wasn't propping up anyone.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I'll count on you to set me straight if you think you are the best of all the posters to learn from.
I have a few judges in my family and I often ask them about such stuff. I've also worked with senators in drafting (groundbreaking) federal and state law and have testified on legislation so know a little about that- but I am no way a constitutional expert- although I have worked with them in DC and am humbled. I also have a pretty good understanding of tax law and my state's family law from previous jobs.
May I ask what your background is? I wasn't propping up anyone.
And yet, you don't bother looking anything up to know what's going on before you say something.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:57 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,292,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
And yet, you don't bother looking anything up to know what's going on before you say something.
I no longer have access to nexuslexus legal.
Thank goodness you do.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I no longer have access to nexuslexus legal.
Thank goodness you do.
^lame excuse

Old 06-24-2021, 11:36 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
More of the insurrectionists should have been shot and killed that day...that said, she got what she deserved...there was no legit reason for any one to be at the capital that day other then the elected officials who were doing their constitutional duty.
Should the police have shot and killed the insurrectionists in Lafayette Park attempting to breach the White House? Should the police have shot and killed the insurrectionists invading a police station in Minneapolis? Should the police have shot and killed the insurrectionists attempting to burn down a federal building in Portland?

The Left went ape doo doo when the police in DC used pepper pellets to move the crowd in Lafayette Park after the refused to comply with orders to move, but somehow they should have slaughtered protestors because you disagree with them politically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If I engage in entering a building without permission to do so, I understand I may be killed doing so.
So you'd be okay with shooting to kill all those looters in Minneapolis, Seattle, Santa Monica, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PesachSeder View Post
The officer hasn't been identified? To bad because I feel he deserves a medal and a $1M bonus.
Hey and I feel Derek Chauvin deserves a medal and a TWO million dollar bonus for eliminating a multiple felon like George Floyd, but he isn't getting a medal is he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
You do, in Texas, have the right to shoot to kill someone who illegally breaches your home while you're inside and won't back off when you shout at them not to come in. You can shoot to kill. It's called the Castle Doctrine, and you don't have to see a weapon on the invader.
Not sure why you single out Texas, but even in TX people are held accountable. A 74 year old man who shot a home invasion burglar in TX just a few days ago will be facing a grand jury. Another elderly TX man who shot and killed an intruder in 2019 has been charged with murder. So apparently there isn't anything automatic about TX.

Quote:
She DEFINITELY had the intent to enter, aggressively and against the will of the Capitol Police, and was part of the mob bent on capturing Pence and overturning a just election.
You have no idea what her intent was. If you have seen the private videos people took you see several policemen blocking the doors then they moved away calmly. One of those officers was standing next to Babbitt when she was shot. Whomever shot Babbitt was incredibly irresponsible for shooting with a fellow LEO so close by. There were also tactical officers in the crowd and regular officers and none of them seemed in any kind of a panic over the protestors. Only this single officer drew and fired a weapon. The public deserves to know why; his background and training.

Quote:
That's why the cop who justifiably shot her isn't being charged, or even named. Justified shooting.
This is the United States. We don't have secret proceedings.

Quote:
This is a building he was hired to protect, and she was breaking in while being told to stay out,
Really? Who was telling her to stay out? The man who shot her never said a word, he just started shooting. Certainly the police officers right next to her didn't tell her to not go through that door window, so who was it telling her to stay out?

Quote:
I shudder to think of what could have happened, had she not been killed trying to come through that window with hundreds behind her.
There were maybe 20 or 30 protestors with her in that section. She could have been arrested. Or the favorite rubric of the Left, "he could have shot her in the leg". Why weren't the police officers and SWAT officers on the same side of the doors attempting to stop her or clear the room?

Quote:
She got what was legally coming to her. A gunshot wound.
Really? The legal punishment for trespass is execution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you on the non-threatening part. A mob conducting a B&E in progress was about to force their way through that door against a lone officer.
He wasn't alone. There were a ton of officers there including heavily armed ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Too bad none of the "legal team's" questions will be answered because the GOP blocked a bipartisan investigation for this.
They didn't block an investigation of the Ashli Babbitt shooting, they blocked a useless partisan attempt to keep a narrative going and put on a Soviet style show trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So if you all want to know who the shooter was, why did your party vote against having a bi-partisan commission to investigate?
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
One would think a bipartisan investigation would be a good thing then, huh?
If you think it was going to be an independent, fair "bipartisan" investigation then I'd invite you to become an investor in my Los Angeles To Catalina Bridge Company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It was on video, released in real time.
The videos that have been seen are all from private parties like Jayden X, not Capitol Building surveillance video or LEO body cams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
First, it's Capitol. Second, I love how we just minimize that people broke into the seat of government and it's just "running around the Capital [sic]"
I don't hold the Capitol in any higher esteem than I do police stations, other federal buildings, mosques, churches and private property. I don't think any should be violated, but apparently huge swaths of the Left do.

Quote:
Third, just like Floyd, if she had complied she would still be here today.
But Babbitt, unlike Floyd doesn't have shrines and statues being dedicated to her; her family hasn't been given $27million in wrongful death compensation and her killer has not been tried for her murder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Our sources are 180 degrees apart.
Well yes, but his source is the Washington DC Medical Examiners office. Your source is the NY Times that apparently is very challenged in sorting facts these days.

Quote:
If you equate breaking and entering the United States Capitol with breaking and entering "all over the country" then that is a sad commentary.
It's a sad commentary that you apparently think it is okay to violate police stations, other federal buildings, mosques, churches and private property.

Quote:
Ashli Babbitt's death could have been prevented. She knew what she was getting into and chose to proceed. She was warned not to enter the area....
Who was it that warned her? Do you have links of her being warned? Love to see them.

Quote:
But keep deflecting to "breaking and entering all over the country". This is why supporters of President Trump are marginalized and not taken seriously. They literally sell their morals and values to further his cult of personality.
Keep deflecting about months of violent protests and pretending they were "mostly peaceful". Why do supporters of the BLM movement, of the antifa movement, of looting, burning and in the cult of the "1619 Project", Critical Race Theory and Defund The Police excuse all the violent, insurrectionist behavior?

Old 06-24-2021, 12:00 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,049,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, that is some alternate reality right there.
You obviously weren't watching what was going on in real time.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:07 PM

5,365 posts, read 3,264,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Keep deflecting about months of violent protests and pretending they were "mostly peaceful". Why do supporters of the BLM movement, of the antifa movement, of looting, burning and in the cult of the "1619 Project", Critical Race Theory and Defund The Police excuse all the violent, insurrectionist behavior?
Cute story but I hold the BLM and ANTIFA thugs in the same regard as Ashli Babbitt and the "stop the steal" morons who stormed the Capitol. Unlike the mindless sheep who wear red hats, I don't excuse one and not the other.

There's no deflection from me. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Much like George Floyd, she should have complied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies