Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2021, 08:37 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

It's sickening to see all the posts defending Disney on this. They rehired James Gunn, who made actual inflammatory comments on Twitter...It's obvious the rules are different for some.

It's okay. This too shall pass, and when the pendulum swings back, and it always will the same people defending now, will be the ones whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 08:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's sickening to see all the posts defending Disney on this. They rehired James Gunn, who made actual inflammatory comments on Twitter...It's obvious the rules are different for some.

It's okay. This too shall pass, and when the pendulum swings back, and it always will the same people defending now, will be the ones whining.
Who says they won't rehire Carano once this all settles down? There's obviously precedent.

I'm defending an employer's right to cease to employ someone as long as it's within the boundaries of applicable law. That's not going to change anytime soon, regardless of whose head is on the chopping block.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:45 AM

6,666 posts, read 2,972,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i just looked at her posts (probably not all of them) and i do not think they were legitimately offensive to anyone. seems like she was dropped for being a republican.
She was dropped because Disney didn't wanna deal with an angry mob.

Disney doesn't have to condone or agree with the angry mob to worry about their money being jeopardized.

Do I like it? No,...I think it's petty and obviously one sided and hypocritical.

But Disney riding that PC money train until they can't .

Old 02-12-2021, 08:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If your employer requests that you stop doing something and you continue to do it then yes you are forcing their hand to do something about it.

It's equivalent to getting "written up"
And as I keep pointing out to you while you stick your fingers in your ear and shout "LA LA LA LA!," she didn't say what Disney disingenuously claims she said.

So I'll ask a third time in case you'll actually have the intellectual honestly to face the question head-on instead of using your circular argument: Is there any responsibility for that employer to act in good faith and not grossly mischaracterize what you said as an excuse to fire you, or should they be free to do that too?

Or if you don't want to answer that, you can just admit, like Disney, you're an intellectually dishonest neo-McCarthyite and be done with it.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Who says they won't rehire Carano once this all settles down? There's obviously precedent.

I'm defending an employer's right to cease to employ someone as long as it's within the boundaries of applicable law. That's not going to change anytime soon, regardless of whose head is on the chopping block.
Good point. And yes, they might have been within the boundaries of law, but i was clearly a biased decision. Some see it, some don't. It is what its.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
She was dropped because Disney didn't wanna deal with an angry mob.

Disney doesn't have to condone or agree with the angry mob to worry about their money being jeopardized.

Do I like it? No,...I think it's petty and obviously one sided and hypocritical.

But Disney riding that PC money train until they can't .
Exactly.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:56 AM

585 posts, read 495,481 times
I’m just curious how Disney and others who think Gina should be fired defend this?
I can’t think of how it’s any different?
https://nypost.com/2021/02/11/fans-r...no-firing/amp/

Old 02-12-2021, 08:58 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol it's not about her being wrong. She worked for a company that has a brand, they asked her to chill because it was in violation of that brand. She didn't so she got fired.

Why is this even an issue. I work for a major international fortune 100 company. I start posting stupid stuff on social media, i will be canned.

Every january i have to sign a "standard of business ethics and responsibilities". Tells me exactly what i can and cannot say

Old 02-12-2021, 08:58 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Sorry, Gina. There are consequences for saying stupid stuff on the internet. You might feel like people do not like your opinions, but it’s a far cry from how we Jews were treated by the Germans.

It’s a shame, I liked her on The Mandalorian.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ia-controversy
The only stupid ones are those who think what she said is offensive and that free speech is a bad thing. Don't like what someone says, have a discussion vs a cover up.

An actress said something. Oh no the sky is falling.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
And as I keep pointing out to you while you stick your fingers in your ear and shout "LA LA LA LA!," she didn't say what Disney disingenuously claims she said.

So I'll ask a third time in case you'll actually have the intellectual honestly to face the question head-on instead of using your circular argument: Is there any responsibility for that employer to act in good faith and not grossly mischaracterize what you said as an excuse to fire you, or should they be free to do that too?

Or if you don't want to answer that, you can just admit, like Disney, you're an intellectually dishonest neo-McCarthyite and be done with it.
Is this true ? It should be easy enough to verify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies