Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 07:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Totalitarianism in the United States.
Except for party, how does this differ from 2017-19?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 07:32 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
What are you talking about?
Trying to make Washington, DC a state. Trying to lower the voting age to 16. Refusing to enforce immigration laws.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I know you're not going to like this, but the answer is obvious.

The Democrats are powerful primarily because of wealth and income inequality. The economy isn't fair and people are mad about it.

Republicans won't return to power until wealth is redistributed. The Democrats have been empowered by the people to redistribute wealth.

You can complain until you are blue in the face, but this is the reality. We have inequality almost as high as in the late 1920s. What followed after that? Forty years of Democratic rule until inequality bottomed out in the 70s.

You make a good point on the historic income inequality — but were you not paying attention to the last four years under Trump?
Trump and the R party represented the working class, not democrats anymore. America First was bringing back jobs for working class Americans, stopping the outsourcing of jobs, tax rewards for corporations bringing good paying jobs BACK to America instead of welfare handouts, Trump also created Opportunity Zones which brought industry and training into blighted areas — and it was working!

The working class benefitted more under Trump than under 8 years of Obama and dem control.
The democrats answer to i equality is to throw freebies to the poor instead of creating jobs and training.
The Dems need to keep people poor and dependent on government to get votes.
Have you not noticed that Wall Street is mostly democrats now — they support democrats,,not republicans.

Because the Dems control most of the information and education, much of America is not getting the truth.

Last edited by mountainrose; 02-11-2021 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-11-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
The democrat party is starting to behave like a domestic terror organization.
“Starting” to ????

Old 02-11-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
ID isn't happening because Democrats don't want it. Wonder why? Not really. I know why. They cheat.
This ^^^ illegals, dead people, felons, animals all coincidently seem to prefer voting for Dems...
How racist and insulting to blacks when Dems say they don’t want voter ID because it is too difficult for poor blacks.....

Old 02-11-2021, 07:39 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We are talking about the complete control democrats have accrued of this country.
They control vast majority of our media, the entertainment industry, our complete education system,
all of social media (where Americans get most of their info, culture, and entertainment) and now they even control the sports industry.

This is NOT healthy for a democracy. We need two parties for checks and balance. The democrats are upping their game at censuring, silencing, any group, business, individual that disagrees with their ideology — that’s what communists do....

The democrat party has become UNTOUCHABLE ——> they get away with riots, occupying and taking over cities, destroying businesses, denying freedom of speech, using the IRS to go after Republican groups, encouraging violence, ignoring rampant looting, allowing national monuments and statues to be destroyed, denying our national sovereignty and immigration laws, and they can rig a coup against an elected president of an opposing party and just get away with it....
Again, what are you talking about? All republicans need to do is improve their platform so that they are relatable to more people. If this thread is really about how the GOP is struggling today, that speaks to their failures.

Republican administrations have significantly more criminal indictments than democratic. The GOP needs to clean house and get rid of the corrupt in their ranks. They won't be a viable choice to many until then. I personally left the republican party because of that. That's the problem, not this silly notion that anyone is being 'silenced'.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:41 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
You make a good point on the historic income inequality — but were you not paying attention to the last four years under Trump?
Trump and the R party represented the working class, not democrats anymore. America First was bringing back jobs for working class Americans, stopping the outsourcing of jobs, tax rewards for corporations bringing good paying jobs BACK to America instead of welfare handouts, Trump also created Opportunity Zones which brought industry and training into blighted areas — and it was working!

The working class benefitted more under Trump than under 8 years of Obama and dem control.
The democrats answer to i equality is to throw freebies to the poor instead of creating jobs and training.
The Dems need to keep people poor and dependent on government to get votes.
Have you not noticed that Wall Street is mostly democrats now — they support democrats,,not republicans.
Trumpism is not Republican party orthodoxy. The orthodox Republican party is dead for now.

I did notice in the last four years how orthodox Republicans in Congress did nothing for Trump's agenda because they wanted it to fail.

As to the wage gains, I agree that Democrats face a reckoning from the working class because of their embrace of immigration and abandonment of the working class.

It's a jump ball at this point as to who builds a working class coalition, because of Trump. Before Trump, the ball was in the Democrats' court. However Republicans did their best to turn it over, because the Republican establishment would rather lose control of the country than lose control of their party.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:42 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Totalitarianism in the United States.
Nuh uh.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:43 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Mail in ballots shouldn’t be allowed. Too vulnerable to fraud. Eliminate the mail ins and you might have more than one party.
I volunteered as a poll worker last fall. Here is how we operated:

People voting in-person would come up, show us their ID, then we would check that their name was on the list of registered voters. If it was, we hand them a ballot, they fill it out and feed it into a machine.

Then a poll worker would come with a stack of mail-in ballots. These had been checked already for proper ID and signatures. We would then check them in just as though they were live people. If the name was on the list of registered voters, the inner envelope opened and the ballot was fed into the machine.

Really, little opportunity for fraud.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:44 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
We are talking about the complete control democrats have accrued of this country.
They control vast majority of our media, the entertainment industry, our complete education system,
all of social media (where Americans get most of their info, culture, and entertainment) and now they even control the sports industry.

This is NOT healthy for a democracy. We need two parties for checks and balance. The democrats are upping their game at censuring, silencing, any group, business, individual that disagrees with their ideology — that’s what communists do....
I absolutely agree that a lack of diversity of thought is unhealthy for democracy. But I don't see the Republicans as being quite as powerless as you do. After all, we just had a Republican president for 4 years. And the Republicans attempted and/or were successful at stonewalling/blocking almost every one of Obama's initiatives. I expect they'll do the same with Biden.

And, so it goes. The neverending American gridlock that accomplishes very little for the American people. Anything US politicians DO get done is usually for no one but themselves.

I doubt you'd be complaining if the American oligarchy were controlled currently by conservatives/Republicans, but I don't see one scenario any better than another.

In any case, you DO have more control than you think. You have your money and your time, two of the most invaluable resources. With those two resources, you can boycott most media, entertainment, social media, and the sports industry -- IF it bothers you that much and IF you have the self discipline. After all, it's not like you need these things to survive.

I'm a "liberal," and I ignore most most media, entertainment, sports, and social media because I think most of it is highly commercialized, divisive garbage. And I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything. If I can do it, surely you can, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies