Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 06:21 AM

7,242 posts, read 4,560,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The democrat party has become UNTOUCHABLE — they get away with riots, destroying businesses, denying freedom of speech, encouraging violence, denying our national sovereignty and immigration laws, and they can rig a coup against an elected president of an opposing party and just get away with it....

They have because the republicans IMHO are in collusion with them.

They simply do nothing to stop them - while pretending to.

We need to form another party even if it i means that we don't win for a while.

Take the long game.

The first step in solving any problem is admitting the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 06:23 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
Since no valid point was made in the OP and it does seem , to use an analogy, like putting a spark to tinder I'll play and let the flame jump up a bit. Personally I feel the Democrats have been angling to be THE Party ala the old Soviet union for quite some time. The Republicans have not countered this effectively until just recently and that counter came from one man. Donald Trump. And they stymied him just as much as the Dems, but despite that he still got things done. He secured the Southern border better than it's ever been, had us energy independent and we saw below $2,oo a gallon gas for the first time in decades, had our economy humming and we were seeing a deficit of people to fill jobs rather than the reverse, our troops were coming home rather than being re deployed time after time, need I go on?

But neither party could stand this. We citizens were getting far to self reliant particularly for the Dems likings but the Pubs ain't much better. The government MUST have control. Witness this "pandemic" panic, which killed the economy (as it was designed to) and of course Trump was blamed and everything he did that was positive was painted over in a deep shade of black. The Dem controlled cities let leftist riots rage out of control, put out mass numbers of executive mandates for the Covid crap and then with ONE riotous incident in DC by supposed "right wing Trump supporters" deployed 25000 troops in response. Where was that when Portland went up in flames and is still burning?

But hey, the Dems grabbed power. And they won't ever let go of it again. Not via the ballot box anyway which they also now control. The writing is bold and clear on the wall folks. TDS was the virus we should really have been worried about and it's still raging. Don't believe it? 37 executive orders in his first week from Biden. 37?! Oh yeah. We are saved. So why don't I feel that? Go figure.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:26 AM

18,480 posts, read 15,274,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
That is just not backed up by facts, we can have a more nuanced conversation, so Florida and a slew of other states allow universal mail in voting, those states have been won by republicans show more participation on mail in voting by GOP. My argument would be that there is a way to implement universal mail in voting sans fraud, now this is not to say that mailing a ballot to every person is a good idea regardless of safety measures you imposed.
I am 100% for voter ID as long as we have compulsory ID that is free and easy to obtain. We can easily fund elections so that we have a 2 week period of early voting. Really this is becoming a wedge issue with obvious solutions but no incentive to solve it, not unlike immigration and abortion, something designed to keep you in a team regardless of how badly they behave.
I think if you want to do the two week thing, that is reasonable. But as long as you make mail in ballots the norm, there is going to be a large portion of the population that doesn't trust our election results, to varying degrees. That is not a good thing, which should be obvious by now. There is just too much room for shenanigans.

Mail in ballots should be reserved for military overseas, and people with documented physical disabilities. Everybody else should have to vote in person and show ID. Do it over two weeks if you want. Hell, do it over whole a month if you want, but make sure all votes are real by making them come in person and show ID.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:29 AM

6,619 posts, read 5,019,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Since no valid point was made in the OP and it does seem , to use an analogy, like putting a spark to tinder I'll play and let the flame jump up a bit. Personally I feel the Democrats have been angling to be THE Party ala the old Soviet union for quite some time. The Republicans have not countered this effectively until just recently and that counter came from one man. Donald Trump. And they stymied him just as much as the Dems, but despite that he still got things done. He secured the Southern border better than it's ever been, had us energy independent and we saw below $2,oo a gallon gas for the first time in decades, had our economy humming and we were seeing a deficit of people to fill jobs rather than the reverse, our troops were coming home rather than being re deployed time after time, need I go on?

But neither party could stand this. We citizens were getting far to self reliant particularly for the Dems likings but the Pubs ain't much better. The government MUST have control. Witness this "pandemic" panic, which killed the economy (as it was designed to) and of course Trump was blamed and everything he did that was positive was painted over in a deep shade of black. The Dem controlled cities let leftist riots rage out of control, put out mass numbers of executive mandates for the Covid crap and then with ONE riotous incident in DC by supposed "right wing Trump supporters" deployed 25000 troops in response. Where was that when Portland went up in flames and is still burning?

But hey, the Dems grabbed power. And they won't ever let go of it again. Not via the ballot box anyway which they also now control. The writing is bold and clear on the wall folks. TDS was the virus we should really have been worried about and it's still raging. Don't believe it? 37 executive orders in his first week from Biden. 37?! Oh yeah. We are saved. So why don't I feel that? Go figure.
It feels that way because you been captured by narrative warfare, the side that started by offering you the most compatible worldview that the one you already held, has build a story for you with villains and heroes. Its shame that so many people listen to someone like Jordan Peterson but wont read Girard or any of the basis for his lectures to really see the whole elephant.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:32 AM

12,045 posts, read 6,584,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
They have because the republicans IMHO are in collusion with them.

They simply do nothing to stop them - while pretending to.

We need to form another party even if it i means that we don't win for a while.

Take the long game.

The first step in solving any problem is admitting the problem.
I think the R’s are just weak cowards and incompetent— it’s why so many R’s voted for Trump — it was giving the finger to the R party establishment.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:36 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,262,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Totalitarianism in the United States.
Would it be more fair if they lost on purpose? Maybe they should give their opponents a 3 point advantage? Or if they win they should hand over the office to a republican challenger every so often. Ya know, just to be fair and keep it more even.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:41 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,261,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
We are talking about the complete control democrats have accrued of this country.
They control vast majority of our media, the entertainment industry, our complete education system,
all of social media (where Americans get most of their info, culture, and entertainment) and now they even control the sports industry.

This is NOT healthy for a democracy. We need two parties for checks and balance. The democrats are upping their game at censuring, silencing, any group, business, individual that disagrees with their ideology — that’s what communists do....

The democrat party has become UNTOUCHABLE — they get away with riots, destroying businesses, denying freedom of speech, encouraging violence, denying our national sovereignty and immigration laws, and they can rig a coup against an elected president of an opposing party and just get away with it....
I know you're not going to like this, but the answer is obvious.

The Democrats are powerful primarily because of wealth and income inequality. The economy isn't fair and people are mad about it.

Republicans won't return to power until wealth is redistributed. The Democrats have been empowered by the people to redistribute wealth.

You can complain until you are blue in the face, but this is the reality. We have inequality almost as high as in the late 1920s. What followed after that? Forty years of Democratic rule until inequality bottomed out in the 70s.

So that's the future.

There is no future timeline where Republican policies that primarily benefit the rich are allowed to continue by the public. There is no future where inequality keeps growing on the same trend line as it has been for the past forty years. There is no future where a country with democratic elections allows a feudal system to grow in its midst.

If you want Republican rule to return earlier than that, you need to ditch the policies that benefit rich people. If you want someone to blame, blame the recent Republican Congress which only passed a tax cut and sat on its hands for every single other policy clamored for by the people and Republican voters.

You should blame business leaders who want more immigration precisely because it drives down wages and lowers the cost of training.

You should blame Wall Street for crashing the economy in 2007. That's when the Republican party died. Trumpism is something new and it's viable. The old Republican party won't be coming back for forty years or more.

So say goodbye to tax cuts, and worshipping business tycoons and Wall Street, and shipping all of the jobs overseas. Say goodbye to no increases in the real minimum wage for thirty years, and destroying labor unions, and destroying society in general for the sake of the almighty dollar.

The rich got everything they wanted for forty years and gave scraps to everybody else, including their coalition members in the conservative movement. They've made a lot of enemies and now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:43 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,705,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I think the GOP has destroyed itself.
So the entire premise of the thread is bogus.

US Senate: 50 Republicans
US House: 211 Republicans
Governors: 27 Republicans
States with a one party Trifecta: 23 Republican

We don't have one party rule. I'm guessing the OP and those supporting that concept simply don't know what one party rule is.

If we are talking about how we got to this point... we all know the answer. It was Trump. And he was rejected by 81M people and probably at least 3M of his own party's supporters (only 3M). Remember, Republicans lost the US House nationally by only 4M votes while Trump lost by 7M votes.

Trump was hyper-popular with some but there were just enough Republicans and right-leaning independents to oust him.

The GOP's problem today is they can't untangle themselves from Trump. Just look at senators like Lindsey Graham. On January 6th, he was saying he was done with Trump after the insurrection at the Capitol driven by Trump. And then he back-pedaled. He's a politician - of course he would.

Personally, I think the GOP will be just fine. Sure, they lost the Senate and the Oval Office. But given the disaster of a Presidency we just had for four years, one worse dereliction of duty after another dereliction of duty, Republicans made gains in the House and their guy still garnered 74M votes. If you can put a train wreck like that up for a vote and still get 74M votes, I assure you that Republicans don't need to change a thing to have a shot in 2022 or 2024. Just keep up demonizing Democrats since that worked wonders in 2016, 2018 and 2020. And I'm not being facetious about that. 2018 could have been a bigger bloodbath, but it wasn't. Same with 2020. That line of attack works, so they'll keep using it.

Voters will forget January 6th. They'll forget the bogus election fraud and Trump's unsuccessful "Stop the Steal" and Democrats successful "Stop the Steal." Republican voters that didn't vote for Trump will say "Republican politicians won't let this happen again" and will vote for the next (R) that comes along.

Old 02-11-2021, 06:44 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,537,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Thats pretty damn funny after all the crap the Repubs have been pulling for the last few decades.
What crap is that exactly?

Old 02-11-2021, 06:45 AM

13,639 posts, read 4,950,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Democrats have been running the show for awhile. Even while trump was in office
How do you figure? They held the Presidency and the Senate, plus an increasing share of the Judicial branch. A majority of state governments were run by Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies