Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:45 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many of us are moderates who vote both parties and don't want extremists. This is our country should be. Our country can't move forward when we have extremists not willing to compromise for the good of all of us. So no, that is not progress at all.
Opposing extremism isn't progress, even though you just said you don't want extremists? Right, the extremists are all Democrats.

And, no, you have never voted for a Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 10:56 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Opposing extremism isn't progress, even though you just said you don't want extremists? And, no, you have never voted for a Republican.
I oppose any extremist and will never vote for them. As a moderate I have voted for both parties. Moderates do that you know. Ask any moderate here. They will tell you the same thing. We don't necessarily vote party lines all the time. We vote for who we think will be the best for our state and the country.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:53 AM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The Republicans currently ARE in the middle. Trump wasn't extreme on anything.

Except his personality.
The middle in this country is hardly represented in congress and not in the white house. Romney, Manchin, Cheney and Collins are about it in the senate.The fact that anyone would think Trump was in the middle tells you how far right things have gone for the GOP. Biden most certainly is not in the middle. Only his personality.

Trump was a nationalist not in the middle nor really the far right. Although he had some far right and far left views. Immigration and abortion he was far right. His views on the military and bringing troops home and intel agencies were far left. As well as wanting the government to regulate Big Tech. Very left wing. And a bold plan for infrastructure which he never got to is also left wing.

Otherwise it was just whatever he thought his base wanted to hear. Much of his base was probably in the middle but they were swayed by Trump attacking anything perceived far left or deep state.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Former Reagan administration officials in talks to form third party. Names under consideration include the Integrity Party and the Center Right Party.

If it is decided instead to form a faction, one name under discussion is the Center Right Republicans.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2AB07P
Reagan officials? They should name it the "how to triple the debt in 8 years" party.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:41 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The middle in this country is hardly represented in congress and not in the white house. Romney, Manchin, Cheney and Collins are about it in the senate.The fact that anyone would think Trump was in the middle tells you how far right things have gone for the GOP. Biden most certainly is not in the middle. Only his personality.

Trump was a nationalist not in the middle nor really the far right. Although he had some far right and far left views. Immigration and abortion he was far right. His views on the military and bringing troops home and intel agencies were far left. As well as wanting the government to regulate Big Tech. Very left wing. And a bold plan for infrastructure which he never got to is also left wing.

Otherwise it was just whatever he thought his base wanted to hear. Much of his base was probably in the middle but they were swayed by Trump attacking anything perceived far left or deep state.
The winning 3rd party will be the one that finds a way to focus the anger at government from the left and the right into common ground. I do not see a lot of difference between the far left and far right.

The trashing the Capitol, IMO, was kinda of a sacrilege. No way could I place that on the same level as trashing a retail establishment.

Both teams think they are getting screwed. But still keep electing the same people to congress. That's where the change change will happen. A POTUS can't do much without the help of congress.

Both sides need to get real. The delusions get stronger by the day.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:50 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I think it's a dumb idea. It will almost guarantee that Republican's will be forever a minority party with two factions.

Better yet, become an Independent. My husband and I are registered Republican's but are not affiliated with that party any more. We are Independents now and could vote either party. Country first! This tribal nonsense has to stop.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:31 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
Richard Haass leaves the Republican Party

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...n-quitting-gop

Drip........drip........drip....

Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 AM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
How many "principled conservatives" actually exist?

I don't see many by my count. I agree that Trump isn't one, but neither are they.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Richard Haass leaves the Republican Party

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53...n-quitting-gop

Drip........drip........drip....
Isn't Haass the guy who was upset that Trump wanted to pull out of Syria, reduce military presence in other countries, and make other countries put more in for NATO?

I think both parties should move away from Haass.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
The trashing the Capitol, IMO, was kinda of a sacrilege. No way could I place that on the same level as trashing a retail establishment.
I agree the capitol rioters are idiots that should be prosecuted, but I can't agree that what the left did was any less of a crime.

Literally hundreds of riots over the course of months leading to a spike in murders. Looting, arson, vandalism that totaled several billion dollars in damages. Much of the destruction in innocent neighborhoods and to innocent small businesses. Small businesses attacked if they didn't have a BLM poster up.

And all the while we have Democrats encouraging them, helping bail them out, saying it is mostly peaceful, and calling it a summer of love.

Political riots have become normalized and we must condemn all in strong words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies