Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 02:16 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,637,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm 76, and I've quarantined for over a full year now, only because I don't want to die from Covid.
I just got my first shot 2 days ago, and and scheduled to receive the second next month.

For me, that means I'll be able to hit the road and take the extended road trip I planned to take a year ago at last.

It also means I will actually be able to spend time with all the friends and relatives I want to see on that trip, and I can go out and do some sight-seeing, shopping, and just hanging out with others in public places without worrying if I'll end up on a ventilator as soon as I come back home.

Not worrying about the virus also means I'll be able to begin doing a lot of things I've wanted to do at home, too. I want to replace my old worn-out carpet, for example, and some other fixit stuff.

I also may have some very important family business coming up this year in our state capital. If I'm fully protected, I can leave, go there, and engage in it for as long as it takes with no worries.

For over a year, I've put all that off. For good reason.

I have lost 2 relatives and 4 friends to Covid so far. Some took all the precautions they could, and others did not.

No one had to coerce me into getting vaccinated. I was eager for it and jumped on the first opportunity that came my way.

When I served in the Navy, I was on a ship that always sailed alone and was quite often the only US vessel in the waters. The crew was vaccinated frequently for diseases I never knew existed, and the vaccines always worked. We never had a strange disease catch a member of the crew wherever we went.
My experience made me a believer, and I've kept up my vaccinations ever since.
This is the FIRST of many vaccines. I'm not saying wait for better vaccines to come out, but in my life experiences, first is not always the best. Testing and development are sure to bring more effective and safer vaccines in the near future. Medical technology changes very fast. What is good this year, will be obsolete next year. People have to weigh their options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 02:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 456,305 times
Quote:
I'm 76, and I've quarantined for over a full year now, only because I don't want to die from Covid.
I just got my first shot 2 days ago, and and scheduled to receive the second next month.

For me, that means I'll be able to hit the road and take the extended road trip I planned to take a year ago at last.

It also means I will actually be able to spend time with all the friends and relatives I want to see on that trip, and I can go out and do some sight-seeing, shopping, and just hanging out with others in public places without worrying if I'll end up on a ventilator as soon as I come back home.

Not worrying about the virus also means I'll be able to begin doing a lot of things I've wanted to do at home, too. I want to replace my old worn-out carpet, for example, and some other fixit stuff.

I also may have some very important family business coming up this year in our state capital. If I'm fully protected, I can leave, go there, and engage in it for as long as it takes with no worries.

I have lost 2 relatives and 4 friends to Covid so far. Some took all the precautions they could, and others did not.

No one had to coerce me into getting vaccinated. I was eager for it and jumped on the first opportunity that came my way.

When I served in the Navy, I was on a ship that always sailed alone and was quite often the only US vessel in the waters. The crew was vaccinated frequently for diseases I never knew existed, and the vaccines always worked. We never had a strange disease catch a member of the crew wherever we went.
Are you really a healthy 76? Your chances of dying are extremely slim If you ever caught it

Old 02-11-2021, 03:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Based on what, though?

I don't get it.

The vaccine does not PROTECT you, and apparently just gives whatever "protection" from not contracting a serious illness only lasts for three months.

Are you going to get vaccinated every four months, and are you okay with getting a less severe case?
According to the instruction sheet I got from Moderna, the vaccine does prevent Covid-19. This is from Moderna's own testing and studies; all the vaccines haven't been approved yet, but were authorized for the emergency use in the pandemic.

In other words, the vaccines have been tested, but not yet officially reviewed and fully approved. It's all based on what's known so far.

What's known so far about the disease is it can be lethal. So if I took too great a chance by getting vaccinated, I'll come back to this and let you know what happened to me from the vaccination.

But if I don't, then nothing happened. I was far more worried about Covid than Moderna or Pfizer.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:31 PM

7,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Mike, I am more worried about Covid than the vaccine also. A good friend of mine died.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:40 PM

606 posts, read 354,696 times
Quote:

Congratulations! You’ve acted responsibly for yourself and others for an entire year, and now can look forward to resuming life in a couple of months. I’m happy for you and all the elderly that can go on without fear of catching COVID-19.

And even though we don’t have definite data, your ability to transmit is most likely minuscule since your chances of catching it have dwindled. And if you do catch it, your infection will be mild and your viral load won’t develop to a level where you will be able to spread it much if at at all.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
If everyone can make the decision then why can't everyone, vaccinated or not, just go get on with their lives if they don't feel at risk? Why would anyone have to quarantine? As far as I know vaccinated people can still carry it and pass it on to others so I don't understand why any freedoms should be allowed to them that aren't allowed to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies