Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 11:07 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not exactly saying it offends me personally as a white person, but that it is about scapegoating and oppressing white Americans and being a white American it does make things more difficult for me in principle. It's the principle of the matter I object to that interest groups are presenting a false narrative to constrain and get a leg up on white Americans.

The left is constantly engaging in one sided anti-white racism and claiming to be the anti-racists in charge of stamping out racism.
Whites are the only race which can be openly bashed and nobody is punished for it.

People talk about white racism on TV news and on social media. But remove "white" and replace it with "black" or "Jew." You will be unemployed in a matter of hours at the most.

This is why the ranks of the alt-right have increased in number, and the longer it continues, the more they will swell. This has nothing to do with the morality of the alt-right's claims or the veracity of their beliefs; it has to do with the simple fact that the way human nature operates is: if you are part of a group that is repeatedly and consistently bashed as racist for no other reason than you are what you are (born white), it is impossible that at least some members of that group will not end up embittered. The alt-right is a perfect venue for embittered, formerly non-racist white people.

I do not defend this phenomenon, but I recognize it and accept that it is happening. The left claims it's not true and that whites only can be racist - it is yet one more, out of numerous, examples of the left's arrogance and pride and refusal to consider that its platform and positions and claims result in backlash.

Every single nonwhite person who at some point between now and the future is treated with racism by a white person who became racist because of this can blame the left for this. While of course any such white person would be wrong to act out his/her racism, if that person was not racist until the left's incessant bashing of white people began and continued, then the left is partially to blame.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Stop it with the Asians comparisons. Why do Koreans do better than the Chinese and they in turn outperform the Filipinos? Why do Cubans and Nigerians outperform Filipinos?

Some countries we are getting their more upwardly mobile regardless of wealth and education, some or all of the above and most are a mixture. The standing of their group in this country also has bearing on lower level comers excelling more the higher their overall group is doing. No to mention distance and difficulty getting here as factors on who makes it. How well African immigrants do here is quite telling in this regard.

Asians in general are more upwardly mobile + more educated and financially secure + melting into an already successful group class + difficulty getting here weeds out the less success oriented. Hispanics for the most part are only upwardly mobile, but even that is watered down due to the ease in getting here.

Trumps clamp down would have likely increased the quality of Hispanic migrants coming in.
If Asians come from cultures that prize hard work, education, literacy, erudition, and superior academic achievement as you say, do you think it's unfair to make Asian high school graduates score hundreds of points higher on the SAT than black high school graduates if the former are to have a chance of being accepted to the high-tier university of their choice?

Old 02-16-2021, 11:17 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
Then if culture and peer pressure (say, among teenagers) is what keeps blacks and Hispanics from the academic, financial, and professional success Asians and whites achieve as groups, then why does the charge of racism exist?

As others (including some who are black themselves) have pointed out in this thread and on C-D, there are black immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean who have cultural backgrounds which are noticeably different from that of many black Americans. They come here generally with their family units intact, value education, quietly study and apply themselves, and make their way up on the socioeconomic ladder. This has been the case to the extent there has been strife (not of the violent kind, but some tension, rather) between these black immigrant groups and black Americans.

Ethnically, racially - these blacks from the Caribbean and Africa are no less African than black Americans. Why does the racism that the left claim holds black Americans down appears to magically lose its power when it comes to black immigrants from the Caribbean and from Africa?
I agree it shouldn't. IMO this is happening due to the current "victim culture" few have the guts to resist. I am seeing diametrically opposed opinions from elderly blacks versus younger blacks and the fashionable woke whites of today. This isn't "me" seeing anything through a white lens, I am LISTENING to these older blacks and the differences are stark.

I live in a predominately white rural state that has produced a surprising amount of influential blacks for it's small size. To name a few; Carter Woodson who started BHM, Booker T. Washington, Henry Louis Gates Jr. and more recently Katherine Johnson. She passed away recently at age 101 and was one of the NASA mathematicians with the space program featured in the movie "Hidden Figures".

She was educated during segregation yet didn't let that negatively influence her. In fact, she along with two other black men broke barriers as they were brought into a graduate program at the state's segregated University due to their abilities.

Here are her own words so others can judge for themselves. Her sentiments are very similar in nature to the non famous blacks I know of that generation. This current generation and the media are trying to flip the script and I am just not having it. In fact it is dishonoring blacks who went through a struggle in life to forget and to dismiss their words. The people of today could learn a lot from them. Why were past generations less likely to have a chip on their shoulder? Things are so much easier today. Hmmm...

“I don’t have a feeling of inferiority. Never had. I’m as good as anybody, but no better.”

https://wearetechwomen.com/inspirati...mathematician/

She was so humble when she found out they were naming the NASA facility after her. Maybe I am getting sentimental in my older age, but I am afraid of people like her and my older black friends being replaced with a new generation of blacks who are being taught to hate whites. It's really a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgW2kpNQ7BY

Old 02-16-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
I agree it shouldn't. IMO this is happening due to the current "victim culture" few have the guts to resist. I am seeing diametrically opposed opinions from elderly blacks versus younger blacks and the fashionable woke whites of today. This isn't "me" seeing anything through a white lens, I am LISTENING to these older blacks and the differences are stark.

I live in a predominately white rural state that has produced a surprising amount of influential blacks for it's small size. To name a few; Carter Woodson who started BHM, Booker T. Washington, Henry Louis Gates Jr. and more recently Katherine Johnson. She passed away recently at age 101 and was one of the NASA mathematicians with the space program featured in the movie "Hidden Figures".

She was educated during segregation yet didn't let that negatively influence her. In fact, she along with two other black men broke barriers as they were brought into a graduate program at the state's segregated University due to their abilities.

Here are her own words so others can judge for themselves. Her sentiments are very similar in nature to the non famous blacks I know of that generation. This current generation and the media are trying to flip the script and I am just not having it. In fact it is dishonoring blacks who went through a struggle in life to forget and to dismiss their words. The people of today could learn a lot from them. Why were past generations less likely to have a chip on their shoulder? Things are so much easier today. Hmmm...

“I don’t have a feeling of inferiority. Never had. I’m as good as anybody, but no better.”

https://wearetechwomen.com/inspirati...mathematician/

She was so humble when she found out they were naming the NASA facility after her. Maybe I am getting sentimental in my older age, but I am afraid of people like her and my older black friends being replaced with a new generation of blacks who are taught to hate whites. It's really a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgW2kpNQ7BY
Thanks for sharing this; I will watch it at some point in the near future. I'm glad this woman has this mentality. Ditto for someone like Thomas Sowell. Are you familiar with his work? I consider this man a national treasure; he's my intellectual hero right now. I want to read all of his books before I die.

The left is out of control, and this focus on victimization and unequal treatment (quotas, affirmative action, wokeism) is going to have a backlash - one which will see more people despise/hate/dislike nonwhites than there would have been without the current culture you speak of.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:34 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
Whites are the only race which can be openly bashed and nobody is punished for it.

People talk about white racism on TV news and on social media. But remove "white" and replace it with "black" or "Jew." You will be unemployed in a matter of hours at the most.

This is why the ranks of the alt-right have increased in number, and the longer it continues, the more they will swell. This has nothing to do with the morality of the alt-right's claims or the veracity of their beliefs; it has to do with the simple fact that the way human nature operates is: if you are part of a group that is repeatedly and consistently bashed as racist for no other reason than you are what you are (born white), it is impossible that at least some members of that group will not end up embittered. The alt-right is a perfect venue for embittered, formerly non-racist white people.

I do not defend this phenomenon, but I recognize it and accept that it is happening. The left claims it's not true and that whites only can be racist - it is yet one more, out of numerous, examples of the left's arrogance and pride and refusal to consider that its platform and positions and claims result in backlash.

Every single nonwhite person who at some point between now and the future is treated with racism by a white person who became racist because of this can blame the left for this. While of course any such white person would be wrong to act out his/her racism, if that person was not racist until the left's incessant bashing of white people began and continued, then the left is partially to blame.
I do think the left is trying to antagonize white people to react so the left will have something to point to and a lame excuse to crack down on whites. Plus I think most of the left is just plain demented and malevolent.

I think most of the effect the left is creating is encouraging and increasing non-whites to act racist toward whites, from counter voting out of spite, to committing violence against whites to various forms of discrimination.

Old 02-16-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I do think the left is trying to antagonize white people to react so the left will have something to point to and a lame excuse to crack down on whites. Plus I think most of the left is just plain demented and malevolent.

I think most of the effect the left is creating is encouraging and increasing non-whites to act racist toward whites, from counter voting out of spite, to committing violence against whites to various forms of discrimination.
There have been black crimes against whites for years which happened particularly because the victim was white (such as a few "This is for Trayvon!" assaults as well as rapes of white women because of slavery).

But even if the left weren't doing this, statistics show that black-on-white crime is several times higher than white-on-black crime. One may not know because of the MSM, but for all the talk of white crimes against nonwhites, it is far likelier for a white person to become the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by a black person than the other way around. This must also include the statement that not every such interracial crime happens because the perpetrator was racist - but sometimes, race does play a role.

There have also been black-on-Asian crimes recently, with some nonagenarian Asians being targeted by young black men in California, and some Asian senior citizens have died. It's the knockout game's latest variation.

EDIT: to avoid all misunderstandings, I will clarify that however troubling black crime statistics, the percentage of the black community which does these crimes is very small.

Last edited by Sprawling_Homeowner; 02-16-2021 at 12:03 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
There have been black crimes against whites for years which happened particularly because the victim was white (such as a few "This is for Trayvon!" assaults as well as rapes of white women because of slavery).

But even if the left weren't doing this, statistics show that black-on-white crime is several times higher than white-on-black crime. One may not know because of the MSM, but for all the talk of white crimes against nonwhites, it is far likelier for a white person to become the victim of a violent crime perpetrated by a black person than the other way around. This must also include the statement that not every such interracial crime happens because the perpetrator was racist - but sometimes, race does play a role.

There have also been black-on-Asian crimes recently, with some nonagenarian Asians being targeted by young black men in California, and some Asian senior citizens have died. It's the knockout game's latest variation.
Yep, all that is true but the media doesn't let the public know it. Instead the media pushes a completely opposite false narrative.

I saw a news story about the attacks on some Asians in CA and elsewhere, and it never mentioned the perpetrators are black. The story blamed it on Trump (a proxy for white people) saying "China virus" as if the perpetrators were Trump supporters or listen to him lol. The article gave the false impression it was white Trump supporters attacking Asians

Although to be fair yesterday and I think it was on MSN home page I saw a story of about an 18 year old white female in Colorado beat to death by her ex-bf in a parking lot, and it did show the picture of the black perpetrator and Hispanic accomplice. I was surprised but maybe MSN sourced it from a non leftist or local media. Usually these stories never make it beyond a local story.https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/02/...death-assault/.

Last edited by mtl1; 02-16-2021 at 12:18 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 12:32 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
1) Those who only skim the surface refer to people on the extreme/far/dissident right as "white supremacists" when the accurate term is "white nationalists."
2) And while there are those within that ideological sphere which do think nonwhites are innately, naturally, and irreversibly inferior to whites, that's not all of them.
1) Exactly.
2) These so-called White-Supremacists almost invariably believe that East Asians have higher average IQ's and lower crime-rates, among other things. Thus White-Supremacists are really Asian-Supremacists(at least per the left-wing definition).

I hate that race has become this stupid obsession with intelligence. I don't think racists, regardless of what color, are driven by concerns about intelligence. Not that intelligence is unimportant, but intelligence isn't the reason people are racist. Even if intelligence was equally-distributed, almost nothing would change.

If racism was honestly about intelligence, then those who believe in Asian intellectual superiority would want to marry Asians. Thus it would be Asians fighting against miscegenation instead of white people.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
1) Exactly.
2) These so-called White-Supremacists almost invariably believe that East Asians have higher average IQ's and lower crime-rates, among other things. Thus White-Supremacists are really Asian-Supremacists(at least per the left-wing definition).

I hate that race has become this stupid obsession with intelligence. I don't think racists, regardless of what color, are driven by concerns about intelligence. Not that intelligence is unimportant, but intelligence isn't the reason people are racist. Even if intelligence was equally-distributed, almost nothing would change.

If racism was honestly about intelligence, then those who believe in Asian intellectual superiority would want to marry Asians. Thus it would be Asians fighting against miscegenation instead of white people.
The granularity you and I have alluded to on what the definition of "white supremacy" is as opposed to white nationalism in the United States in 2021 is a level of attention to detail that many if not most people ignore, whether because they think it makes no difference (which highlights their ignorance) or because they know this distinction exists but choose to ignore it (which highlights their preference for narratives over truth).

One of the more amusing anecdotes I've read about the ostensible effect of "white supremacy" affecting the underwhelming performance of certain non-Asian students in exams and in schools was a phone call between a white nationalist and a black person. The former has repeatedly and openly admitted that east Asians have higher IQs than whites.

The black person, a woman, was an activist with the NAACP, has previously claimed discrimination against black students starts at the kindergarten level.

The woman from the NAACP couldn't answer the white nationalist's question about Asians being 2/3 of incoming classes at a certain prestigious high school. He pressed, and she said, "I'm not here to get into a back and forth about Asians" and hung up the phone.

The woman was Charisse Glassman. The white nationalist was Jared Taylor.

I want to know - if discrimination is the reason that blacks and Hispanics underperform vs. whites and Asians and if this has been the case even after decades of remedial action including affirmative action and investment, why are the discriminators making exclusions for Asians, to the extent Asians outperform whites at the public school level, in universities, and beyond?

Let it be known that while Taylor is willing to acknowledge the high IQs of Asians, he does not want them in America. There is an on-the-record video exchange Taylor has with an Asian person; Taylor tells the Asian man the presence of Asians in the U.S. is a contributing factor to the dispossession of whites in America and says indirectly that he wants all Asians to leave.

The media will never show such facts.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,591 times
Quote:
Thanks for sharing this; I will watch it at some point in the near future. I'm glad this woman has this mentality. Ditto for someone like Thomas Sowell. Are you familiar with his work? I consider this man a national treasure; he's my intellectual hero right now. I want to read all of his books before I die.

The left is out of control, and this focus on victimization and unequal treatment (quotas, affirmative action, wokeism) is going to have a backlash - one which will see more people despise/hate/dislike nonwhites than there would have been without the current culture you speak of.
There is much info and quite a few videos about Katherine online. I have never once heard her say or even hint about the concept of white privilege holding her back. Night and day difference from the message being beat into our heads today.

I was not familiar with Sowell until this thread. Thanks, I will look into his work.

The media is doing a disservice to us all by ignoring so many blacks too with a different opinion. I guess if they can make up new terms every day, so can I...I hate how they are "woke washing" our history.

I was not familiar with the other native from my state I mentioned but his Wiki looks interesting too. (he was also the professor who had the "beer summit" with Obama and a police officer after a case of mistaken identity at his home. Oh the days of innocence from 2009...that cop would have been fired and "canceled" immediately if that happened today. ) He says this:

While Gates has stressed the need for greater recognition of black literature and black culture, he does not advocate a "separatist" black canon. Rather, he works for greater recognition of black works and their integration into a larger, pluralistic canon. He has affirmed the value of the Western tradition, but has envisioned a more inclusive canon of diverse works sharing common cultural connections:

"Every black American text must confess to a complex ancestry, one high and low (that is, literary and vernacular) but also one white and black ... there can be no doubt that white texts inform and influence black texts (and vice versa), so that a thoroughly integrated canon of American literature is not only politically sound, it is intellectually sound as well."[6]

Gates has argued that a separatist, Afrocentric education perpetuates racist stereotypes. He maintains that it is "ridiculous" to think that only blacks should be scholars of African and African-American literature. He argues, "It can't be real as a subject if you have to look like the subject to be an expert in the subject,[13] adding, "It's as ridiculous as if someone said I couldn't appreciate Shakespeare because I'm not Anglo-Saxon. I think it's vulgar and racist whether it comes out of a black mouth or a white mouth."

He also wrote an Op Ed called "Ending The Slavery Blame Game";

The enemy of individuality is groupthink, Gates says, and here he holds everyone accountable. Recently, he has enraged many of his colleagues in the African-American studies field—especially those campaigning for government reparations for slavery—by insistently reminding them, as he did in a New York Times op-ed last year, that the folks who captured and sold blacks into slavery in the first place were also Africans, working for profit. "People wanted to kill me, man," Gates says of the reaction to that op-ed. "Black people were so angry at me. But we need to get some distance from the binary opposition we were raised in: evil white people and good black people. The world just isn't like that."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Louis_Gates_Jr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies