Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 03:34 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So...you are friends with illegal aliens? IOW, you aid and abet them. The term "honest illegal alien" is an oxymorom. Think about it.
Man, get outta here. You have no idea who is legal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
OK, since you persist in taunting, how's this: I would like to see an America that resembles India. That would take a population of about 3-5 billion.
Why would anyone want that?

Old 02-13-2021, 03:35 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Immigrants are a net benefit. Illegal immigrants are a greater benefit since they get less government subsidies. During Trump's administration as immigration was targeted our federal deficit soared.
Once they birth an anchor baby, said baby is eligible for all sorts of freebies. The family can even get Section 8 housing. IOW, the whole family benefits as a result.

The federal deficit soared under Trump's predecessor, also.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
OK, since you persist in taunting, how's this: I would like to see an America that resembles India. That would take a population of about 3-5 billion.
And, if you think that if the US has 3-5 billion people, we won't end up looking like India, then you are really naive.

Just try to imagine what it would be like on our roads. Just try to imagine having to compete for potable water.

How despicable that you wish such a future on the US! My suggestion to you is to move to India and see how that works out for you.

BTW, no one is "taunting" you. You were the one who was cheering on increasing our population. As a result, you should have expected such questions as to how many will be too many for you.

Last edited by BOS2IAD; 02-13-2021 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-13-2021, 03:41 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Is that why you were looking to send your kid(s) to Dalton instead of the local schools?

The city is unique in that real estate prices are never going down, in any neighborhood, for any sustained length of time. I worked for a very long time in the old Studebaker building on 131st. As Columbia University continues to gobble up real estate, they'll push more and more lower- and middle-income families out of the lower part of Washington Heights, the same way the north end of Central Park changed and became gentrified (or re-gentrified). Sort of the opposite of what the premise of this bit of thread is about, actually, but that doesn't negate the fact that too many immigrants can bring decline.

All you have to do is look at Wiki for a quick history and to see how Washington Heights changed. The early immigrants - Irish, German-Jews, Greeks - are from a different era, and not what we're talking about in this thread. More relevant is what happened with immigration of the Latino population - mostly Dominicans - when they first moved in. While the area is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 1980's, with the crack epidemic, and while it might have cultural appeal, the schools went into serious decline, and haven't recovered much.

The current school situation? In 2019 the graduation rate for English Language Learners in the district's schools was 52%, and only 69% for males, regardless of language. 29% of the adults in the district don't have a high school diploma. So while those middle-income (and former immigrant) families living there up until the 1980's (roughly) weren't literally, physically pushed out, they experienced a lowering of their standard of living to the point that if they could move, they did.

The Migration Policy Institute says: "Immigrants from the Dominican Republic were more likely than the overall foreign-born population in the United States to live in poverty, be Limited English Proficient, and have gained U.S. citizenship; they were less likely to have a college degree or to be uninsured." So the good news (if you want to call it that), is that more are becoming citizens, but that same less-educated, poverty-stricken population is now spreading to communities like Hazleton without changing their mindset/culture/situation in order to avoid creating similar problems in their new areas.

That's without making a distinction between legal and illegal immigrants, with illegal immigrants being even less likely to have the education, skills, and language necessary to integrate into a community successfully.

(Side note, I'm not trying to single out Dominican's, specifically, but that's the demographic in the area we're discussing.)
Hey my parent grew up on Cabrini. I have a very very long association with that neighborhood. I've been visiting it for over 50 years, have worked there, have young adult kids who lived there, have walked almost every street. I certainly don't need to look at wiki to get a history of that neighborhood. You do know there is a pretty vibrant gay as well as orthodox jewish community up there now (not illegal or immigrant).
I wouldn't send my kids to school in washington heights or most public elementary schools in NYC. That doesn't mean that immigrants ruined the schools. As you well know, the schools in NYC are bad for a ton of different reasons - illegal immigration is not the root cause for the failure of the public school system.

Also, I would not consider 131st washington heights, but that's me.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Yes, and I've even given them money and clothes and tons and tons of advise.
Do you want to arrest me for being an awful person and breaking the law - which law is that exactly?
Look it up.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Look it up.
I have no idea what law I would be breaking.
Please tell me.
You seem to be well versed in all things about undocumented breaking laws.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:53 PM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Yes, and I've even given them money and clothes and tons and tons of advise.
Do you want to arrest me for being an awful person and breaking the law - which law is that exactly?
But how much have you given to our children that are cold and hungry. Do they not matter? Until there are no hungry children in this country, or even your own town....how can you justify not feeding them???

Old 02-13-2021, 03:56 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
But how much have you given to our children that are cold and hungry. Do they not matter? Until there are no hungry children in this country, or even your own town....how can you justify not feeding them???
Oh please, you people don’t give a rats crap about the less fortunate in this country. You guys keep trying to pedal this lie, we ain’t buying it.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:57 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
It wouldn't be any different under the Republicans. Illegals have been pouring into the US for DECADES. It's old news. And NO president has been committed to stopping it. Even Trump, for all his talk, did very little. He was all bluster and little muster.
Unfortunately, you're correct.

Neither side has the spine to protect the border. Every President, administration after administration for decades now, has said it's important that we do so, and none have done it, instead, caving to the special interests groups and ruling class that wants unbridled immigration. Trump was able to stem the tide some, that is all. He caved as well. Biden is just doing what they are instructing him to do.

Now, we are opening the floodgates. And it won't just be people from Honduras, Mexico, etc.

They recently caught Iranians coming in, and there is a huge amount of South Africans coming (don't you wonder how they make that trip? Someone is paying for their transport).

This, in light of all the security procedures we have to agree to endure due to the Patriot Act, and in the middle of a supposed Pandemic. As a country, we will get exactly what we allow and deserve.

Old 02-13-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Who are you to tell me how I should be giving and to whom. I give to who I choose, thank you.
Rest assured my own children were taken care of (well) and are carrying on the family tradition of philanthropy and giving back. It is a legacy that I am proud of. They are choosing who to give to based on their own values.
The people in my own town do not have hungry children. This I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies