Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 06:09 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
That may be, but the great mixed native forests are almost gone replaced by one crop like Douglas fir or poplar.

Perhaps the air and water quality has improved but water is becoming scarce. The Colorado River no longer enters the Sea of Cortez.

More and more people adds up to more buildings, infrastructure, and resource use. Infinite growth is bad for humans and the environment. As my favorite Greenie Edward Abbey said, “Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”

And, you still haven’t answered my question.
Myself and others do not see allowing more immigration to be mutually exclusive of being pro-environment. That one can triple or even quadruple the US population over the past 100 years and have the same amount of forest land as well as cleaner air and water over that time span demonstrates that these goals are indeed not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, on a global scale, Person X moving from one nation to another does not increase the stress on the environment, it just moves it around. Advanced economies like the US are more capable of ameliorating impacts on the environment (we are more willing to pass strong environmental regulations, etc. than are developing countries), so it might be a net benefit to the environment to have them move here. Also, their birth rates go down once they move to advanced economies, so they will produce fewer offspring. Both of those will compensate for whatever additional material resources they consume in an advanced economy.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:10 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I help poor Americans also. But yes, I am rich. And smart. And well educated. And don't have to work anymore..
Well...good for you

You are also out of touch when it comes to the deleterious effects of illegal immigration.

Are you saying that just because others aid and abet illegal aliens, that makes it okay for you to do so?

You don't care that by aiding abetting illegal aliens, you are helping take away resources that can go to help Americans who have been displaced in the workforce by illegal aliens.

Charity starts at home. That means we help our own citizens first and foremost. If there is anything left over after doing that, then we help legal immigrants.

BTW, I know that this will come as a shock to you but I wasn't anywhere near the Capitol on January 6th. Stereotype much, do you?

Old 02-13-2021, 07:16 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Myself and others do not see allowing more immigration to be mutually exclusive of being pro-environment. That one can triple or even quadruple the US population over the past 100 years and have the same amount of forest land as well as cleaner air and water over that time span demonstrates that these goals are indeed not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore, on a global scale, Person X moving from one nation to another does not increase the stress on the environment, it just moves it around. Advanced economies like the US are more capable of ameliorating impacts on the environment (we are more willing to pass strong environmental regulations, etc. than are developing countries), so it might be a net benefit to the environment to have them move here. Also, their birth rates go down once they move to advanced economies, so they will produce fewer offspring. Both of those will compensate for whatever additional material resources they consume in an advanced economy.
In my neighborhood in the PNW, acres and acres of forests have been logged being replaced by mega mansions. The large trees have been supplanted by sprawling homes, concrete and grass. The wetlands are gone and the water table is dropping. We are the only household in our community that has not cut down trees. Ours are old second growth evergreens that stand alone to fight noise, wind and provide shelter for animals.

Overpopulation is never good for any living thing. But, if you love living amongst the teeming masses, maybe you should try Bangladesh and view the human misery.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times
Quote:
They will not be eligible to vote by the next election. There goes that theory.
Response: Opinion

They did pretty good with this election.......................................... .........arrrrrrgh!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:37 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,110,011 times
Quote:
In my neighborhood in the PNW, acres and acres of forests have been logged being replaced by mega mansions. The large trees have been supplanted by sprawling homes, concrete and grass. The wetlands are gone and the water table is dropping. We are the only household in our community that has not cut down trees. Ours are old second growth evergreens that stand alone to fight noise, wind and provide shelter for animals.

Overpopulation is never good for any living thing. But, if you love living amongst the teeming masses, maybe you should try Bangladesh and view the human misery.
Agreed! I have family in Portland and just south of there it doesn't even look like Oregon anymore. The trees have all been cut down for farmland.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
That may be, but the great mixed native forests are almost gone replaced by one crop like Douglas fir or poplar.

Perhaps the air and water quality has improved but water is becoming scarce. The Colorado River no longer enters the Sea of Cortez.

More and more people adds up to more buildings, infrastructure, and resource use. Infinite growth is bad for humans and the environment. As my favorite Greenie Edward Abbey said, “Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell.”

And, you still haven’t answered my question.
Excellent post!

As I mentioned upthread, when we first moved to the area where now are, back in the 80s, we used to have lots of farmland not far from our home. Then exponential growth kicked in and has been relentless. Over the years, the farms have disappeared only to be replaced by subdivisions. If we want to see farmland, we have to drive farther away.

I wasn't aware of that fact about the Colorado River---that's very sad.

Many times, the water level in Lake Mead has fallen shockingly low---and what has the Las Vegas Metro area done about that? They ignored it and kept building more and more housing and hotels. At the very least, they could have put a moratorium on new construction given that the water supply was critically low. There are many parts of the country where I fear the day will come and someone turns on the shower only to find there is no water

Old 02-13-2021, 07:57 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,249,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...good for you

You are also out of touch when it comes to the deleterious effects of illegal immigration.

Are you saying that just because others aid and abet illegal aliens, that makes it okay for you to do so?

You don't care that by aiding abetting illegal aliens, you are helping take away resources that can go to help Americans who have been displaced in the workforce by illegal aliens.

Charity starts at home. That means we help our own citizens first and foremost. If there is anything left over after doing that, then we help legal immigrants.

BTW, I know that this will come as a shock to you but I wasn't anywhere near the Capitol on January 6th. Stereotype much, do you?
As I said I am very lucky. I do not take my good fortune lightly. I don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. That is unless I'm arrested (haha).

I see far more than you give me credit for and I don't believe I am out of touch. I work with those who have the energy and desire to change their circumstances - no matter if they grew up in an American ghetto or crossed the border illegally. . It is not an easy thing to do, Having heard hundreds of stories, and I love to hear the background, the ones that resonate, are those those that have made the biggest effort to change their children's trajectory against great odds. You would be surprised to learn just how hard it is to do.

I don't care where you were, or who you rooted for on January 6. I just hope you have the capacity to help a fellow human who is just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family.
if you are in a desperate situation, I can only hope you cross paths with someone like me who can change your life for the better. No payback necessary. Your success is my reward.
And I make no excuses for being rich. I really like being rich.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:

On a local scale, yes of course, trees get felled to make way for houses. But on a larger scale, there has been no change in the amount of forest in the US in 100 years.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
As I said I am very lucky. I do not take my good fortune lightly. I don't have to justify it to you or anyone else. That is unless I'm arrested (haha).

I see far more than you give me credit for and I don't believe I am out of touch. I work with those who have the energy and desire to change their circumstances - no matter if they grew up in an American ghetto or crossed the border illegally. . It is not an easy thing to do, Having heard hundreds of stories, and I love to hear the background, the ones that resonate, are those those that have made the biggest effort to change their children's trajectory against great odds. You would be surprised to learn just how hard it is to do.

I don't care where you were, or who you rooted for on January 6. I just hope you have the capacity to help a fellow human who is just trying to make a better life for themselves and their family.
if you are in a desperate situation, I can only hope you cross paths with someone like me who can change your life for the better. No payback necessary. Your success is my reward.
And I make no excuses for being rich. I really like being rich.
Those I help won't be illegal aliens. I help American citizens who are in need. They come first and foremost.

You don't get how much devastation illegal aliens have caused to communities and schools. You never will know as you don't have illegal aliens living anywhere near you.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:53 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Gee, I wonder where I've supported Biden's move -- anywhere on this thread?

Lose the adolescent snark.
Sorry, I misread your post. I haven’t read the whole thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies