Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 12:32 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
As anyone with a working brain would expect, these losers ALWAYS blame someone and/or something else for their bad decisions and clueless choices made.
I'm 71 & retired but still have a mortgage balance; I should damn well be forgiven what I owe, right??

Oh you got to retire? Thats nice. this generation will be lucky to have a quality job long enough to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 12:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
As anyone with a working brain would expect, these losers ALWAYS blame someone and/or something else for their bad decisions and clueless choices made.
I'm 71 & retired but still have a mortgage balance; I should damn well be forgiven what I owe, right??
This thread is not about mortgages. To discuss "losers" with mortgages in retirement, I suggest you start your own thread in order to keep this one on topic.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:02 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WandererAndTraveler View Post
Student loan debt cannot be discharged by Bankruptcy whether it's chapter 7 or 13. Even if you borrowed it from the bank as opposed to the government, you still cannot discharge it. You're stuck with it.
Not true. It's much harder. You have to file extra paperwork and prove that repaying the loans is an undue hardship to the judge.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Oh you got to retire? Thats nice. this generation will be lucky to have a quality job long enough to retire.
Working smart and hard pays off.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:56 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
But they drop out of college at a much higher rate. Many do complete it, but community college students drop out at a significantly higher rate than those who start at universities.
Not true if you’re talking about comparing students who enter university as freshman vs those who transfer in as juniors from community college. That’s because there’s a big attrition rate after freshman year, and the transfers have already moved beyond that point.

Universities know that community college graduates with a B average are more likely to graduate than an entering freshman, who hasn’t proven himself with any post- high school level work. That’s why universities are so generous with transfer scholarships: they know the holder of an A.A. degree is a good bet.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Not true if you’re talking about comparing students who enter university as freshman vs those who transfer in as juniors from community college. That’s because there’s a big attrition rate after freshman year, and the transfers have already moved beyond that point.

Universities know that community college graduates with a B average are more likely to graduate than an entering freshman, who hasn’t proven himself with any post- high school level work. That’s why universities are so generous with transfer scholarships: they know the holder of an A.A. degree is a good bet.
The largest attrition rate is actually after senior year...

Old 02-20-2021, 01:59 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Many schools don't allow transfer students at all. My undergraduate school did not, for example.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:01 AM

1,411 posts, read 565,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This thread is not about mortgages. To discuss "losers" with mortgages in retirement, I suggest you start your own thread in order to keep this one on topic.
Gee, not about mortgages; I must have missed that.
But I'm really impressed you are a lawyer.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:22 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I see this false argument a lot and I always have the same thoughts.

You don't get a free ride for being childless.

When you near retirement who is going to buy your house that has appreciated in value? Not your kids that you raised and spent money on.

When you are 80 and need treatment for a medical condition what young doctor will treat you? Not your kids. But kids or grandkids from your peers who spent money raising those kids to be useful members of society.

It's find if folks choose to not have kids as long as the gap is filled through others that have more than 2 or the gap is filled through immigration. The goal should be a stabilized population. But I believe it is false to say that childless adults don't benefit from the kids raised by other adults.

1. I live in CA, and have no plan on selling my house when I retire. My nonexistent kids can do whatever they want with it when I am gone.

2. What if I die before retirement? lol.

Although your examples are a little off, I overall agree with you 100%. That was my point. I also think this same logic applies to the people who are now saying "if student loans get forgiven, do I get my mortgage paid, etc".

Old 02-21-2021, 02:48 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,613,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
1. I live in CA, and have no plan on selling my house when I retire. My nonexistent kids can do whatever they want with it when I am gone.

2. What if I die before retirement? lol.

Although your examples are a little off, I overall agree with you 100%. That was my point. I also think this same logic applies to the people who are now saying "if student loans get forgiven, do I get my mortgage paid, etc".
I certainly didn't cover all scenarios. My point that I think you agree with is just that society in general depends on their always being younger people coming up the working ranks. Whether it is first responders, medical professionals, pro athletes or actors/musicians for entertainment, trades people, service people etc. Childless or not few would want to live without them. And they have to be conceived and raised from 0 years to 18 and their is a large cost associated with that.

I don't want to come off as against folks that choose not to have kids. Far from it. We certainly need to stabilize our growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies