Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2021, 06:44 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Americans voted for this.

Too late to have buyers remorse now.

Antifa/BLM are ready to loot and riot if the student loans don’t get forgiven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 07:02 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I agree.
Colleges and hospitals are two of the biggest extortion rackets going.
I personally don't think they need to be "free", they just need to be held accountable for what they're charging people. Maybe then the cost would reflect actual value. Also, people shouldn't be able to borrow their entire existence while in college. That's just reckless.
The issue is in the favor of these extortionists: they have everyone believing you'll die without medical care every time you get the sniffles and you'll be homeless without a college degree.
We actually buy into this nonsense and willingly sell our firstborn to attain them. We're gullible and those institutions take full advantage.

The woman in the article could make 28k a year as a Walmart greeter, so either she had hideously poor guidance or she's just not too bright.
But yeah, instead of the feds forgiving these loans, let the colleges eat the crap they've been feeding people. Same goes for hospitals in my opinion.
The whole reason we have such high tuition is due to government loans. Not defending these costs but the root of the problem is easy government money. Hospitals are completely different and their costs and reimbursement system is very complex. But if you turn off the government gravy then tuition will drop.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 02-14-2021, 10:34 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Trump signed a bill waiving student loan payments as part of the stimulus package. No one has been required to pay student loans for some time.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The whole reason we have such high tuition is due to government loans. Not defending these costs but the root of the problem is easy government money. Hospitals are completely different and their costs and reimbursement system is very complex. But if you turn off the government gravy then tuition will drop.
Tuition was just as high prior to student loans with the exception of a short period of time in the 1900s. There's nothing wrong with tuition rates.

There's a larger problem with the abundance of low quality universities.

Old 02-14-2021, 10:45 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Depends. I have one son who still has a marginal student loan. He looks to refinance all the time and it rarely would pay.

right now an unsecured loan would be 9% --- student loans have never been 9 percent.
My son has saved thousands in paying interest to the government when he refinanced.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:42 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So if school A gets 50K from you by lying to you, you should be responsible for that 50K, and not them?

Thats...sort of a weird viewpoint. I think that the government should go after them for it, not the student who got defrauded.
How do we determine whether or not a school is guilty of lying to a student?

Not a bad idea if a school is guilty, but I wonder how we determine guilt.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:27 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It was quite a while ago that I was in college in the welfare reform workshops. There was never any charts showing anything like that. Instead, we had case workers steering us to particular selections. Majors such as psychology and nursing was discouraged. Some went that route anyway and flunked out.

They were not there of their own freewill. Welfare reform demanded that they go to college full-time and participate in the workshop or they work a job so many hours a week. Daycare was open 6:30am to 6pm M-F. Jobs required you to be available nights and weekends. Many were forced to go to college or lose the benefits, and many didn't have the mind for college. They ended up with thousands in debt to comply with welfare reform that started in the late 90s.

I graduated with honors and still couldn't get a job. No one wants to hire someone who is sick most of the time. I have almost four degrees. I will still never be employed. I am not allowed to have an income.

Welfare reform hurt a lot of people the way it was conducted. Case managers were trying to get as many in college as possible. There was a rumor that the state got more federal money for each one they got into college. Since pell grants didn't even cover the tuition, every one of them ended up with loans. Case managers were like 'don't worry about it' and how much we would make when we had our degrees. The government put who knows how many single mothers in deep debt.
Why in the hell would anyone listen to welfare case managers? They're bottom of the barrel government employees. Likely loaded up with useless low-demand liberal arts degrees.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:00 AM

1,742 posts, read 959,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Universities have a guaranteed income stream with the ready availability of government backed student loans. They have little to no incentive to reign in costs and spending. It’s well documented that there has been an explosion of non-teaching, administrative positions for the last several years. Many universities have spent enormous sums on near luxurious amenities for students, none of which enhance academic excellence. Many universities are sitting on billions of dollars of endowments. Let them dig into some of those funds to forgive the student loans of their students.

The government should stay out of the student loan business altogether. If universities think their degrees are so worthwhile and potentially economically lucrative, let them lend the money and get paid back from their students future income.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Trump signed a bill waiving student loan payments as part of the stimulus package. No one has been required to pay student loans for some time.
Trump and Republicans in office last year were quite happy to play along.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Trump and Republicans in office last year were quite happy to play along.
As did democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies