Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 06:05 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I was a member from 1981 until 2004. By that time, I got tired of the damned phone calls, soliciting donations and the fear mongering.
If it makes you feel any better, your contributions probably helped fund the gun safety class I took.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 06:08 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
It is time to reign in the use of Executive Orders, that's for sure. Obama and Trump relied on them way too much and it looks like Boden is trying to follow in their footsteps. EOs are oversused, and they need to be brought back to the appropriate use of them, regardless of their topic.
So far bidens used them to mostly undo Trump era things. Live by the EO, die by the EO. I agree though, Obama abused them with DACA, and Trump...went wild with them. But they are not how you drive change. You drive real change through the house and senate.

Its not the number of EO's either, its the type. EO's naming a post office? Sure. EO's clarifying congressional directives? Sure....but carefully. EO's creating fake emergencies in order to bypass congress and fund a border wall that will never actually be completed? Or creating something like DACA? Not so much.

While I agree with DACA in principle for example, and while others agree with the wall nonsense, it needed to go through congress.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If it makes you feel any better, your contributions probably helped fund the gun safety class I took.
LOL the donations were always to combat some extreme con spiracy like the UN was going to take our guns, or the Dems were coming for our hand guns.

I remember when the NRA was about Gun safety and was semi-sane.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
LOL the donations were always to combat some extreme con spiracy like the UN was going to take our guns, or the Dems were coming for our hand guns.

I remember when the NRA was about Gun safety and was semi-sane.
You're right. They used to emphasize gun safety, responsible gun ownership, and penalties for people using guns for criminal activities until they got hijacked by the fringe right-wing decades ago.

https://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/

Old 02-13-2021, 08:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
It is time to reign in the use of Executive Orders, that's for sure. Obama and Trump relied on them way too much and it looks like Boden is trying to follow in their footsteps. EOs are oversused, and they need to be brought back to the appropriate use of them, regardless of their topic.
^^^ This. Executive orders have NO place as to public policy. Mayor, governor or president, no one individual should be making decrees that apply to we the people. I have no respect nor intent to comply with ANY "executive order" from any executive. Executive order is not law. And law enforcement certainly should not even be thinking about enforcing executive decree.

There's a word for that. It's called dictatorship. Now, that being said Trumps executive orders as to enforcement of immigration policy on the Southern border is an example of proper use of executive authority in enforcement policy. Illegal border crossers are NOT citizens of the US. ICE and the USBP are federal officers under command of the president. Border security is one place executive decree is permissible.

But firearms ownership by US citizens is neither a permissable nor even remotely Constitutional place for application of executive authority. Because that authority does not exist. CrowGirl is very correct. Executive power needs to be reined in hard. That horses head needs pulled around into the stirrups.

Old 02-13-2021, 08:57 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
^^^ This. Executive orders have NO place as to public policy. Mayor, governor or president, no one individual should be making decrees that apply to we the people. I have no respect nor intent to comply with ANY "executive order" from any executive. Executive order is not law. And law enforcement certainly should not even be thinking about enforcing executive decree.

There's a word for that. It's called dictatorship. Now, that being said Trumps executive orders as to enforcement of immigration policy on the Southern border is an example of proper use of executive authority in enforcement policy. Illegal border crossers are NOT citizens of the US. ICE and the USBP are federal officers under command of the president. Border security is one place executive decree is permissible.

But firearms ownership by US citizens is neither a permissable nor even remotely Constitutional place for application of executive authority. Because that authority does not exist. CrowGirl is very correct. Executive power needs to be reined in hard. That horses head needs pulled around into the stirrups.
So EO's are OK if they align with your ideology but not OK otherwise? Personally I am fine with EO's no longer happening. But both sides are fine with EO's when it fits their ideology and not going to end it when they are in power.

There are some checks and balances on EO's. Congress can step in and say no and so can the federal courts. The DEMS have congress so that won't work. So if Biden goes too far with Second Amendment EO's it will go to the SCOTUS and hopefully be shot down. We have a country now that is run by EO's. Little gets done in congress and its up to the courts to decide what stands. Trump did many things wrong but the SCOTUS is one good thing he did.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:45 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Man the NRA was such a disappointment. And they used to do actual good work, I took some NRA classes when I was a teenager. They turned into scam group that used money to enrich themselves. To a obscene degree. A sad end for a group that could have been a force for good.

The NRA gave it up in 1934.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:08 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So EO's are OK if they align with your ideology but not OK otherwise? Personally I am fine with EO's no longer happening. But both sides are fine with EO's when it fits their ideology and not going to end it when they are in power.

There are some checks and balances on EO's. Congress can step in and say no and so can the federal courts. The DEMS have congress so that won't work. So if Biden goes too far with Second Amendment EO's it will go to the SCOTUS and hopefully be shot down. We have a country now that is run by EO's. Little gets done in congress and its up to the courts to decide what stands. Trump did many things wrong but the SCOTUS is one good thing he did.
My "ideology" has nothing to do with this. I merely gave an example where executive order is actually proper. And the example I gave is of existing law being enforced applied to foreign nationals attempting to cross into the US by illegal means. That is an example of presidential executive authority acting as Commander in Chief in the interests of national security threatened by foreign nationals.

Not a dictatorial decree attacking the rights of US CITIZENS, in defiance of our Constitution. That is an ideologically driven agenda, in violation of existing law acting against US citizens. Not enforcement of existing law to stop illegal encroachment on our border by foreign nationals. I thought I was clear in the distinction. And it was not my intent to make any pro Trump statement of ideology. Just an example of proper use of authority as CoC.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting, a group standing up to Slow Joe’s leftist agenda.....More power to them.

Second Amendment Foundation Vows To Sue Over Biden EOs

We don’t know specifically what they’re going to look like, but we know that Joe Biden’s first executive orders on firearms coming, perhaps in just a matter of a week or two. Gun rights organizations are getting out in front of the impending attack on the right to keep and bear arms with a pledge to litigate any executive action that treads on Second Amendment territory.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2...den-eos-n40996
This will go nowhere. Law does no longer apply in this country.
Possible outcomes:
1. No lawsuit will be filed at all, as some or all head officers will get calls from FBI/CIA/NSA with "recommendations" to shut up or else.
2. If SAF officials turn out to be too stubborn/naive/brave, the next step will be that all out of sudden they will be charged with imaginary crimes - ranging from tax evasion to treason, like quite a few naive truth fighters before them.
3. If, because of some oversight, lawsuit will still make it to the court, it'll be dismissed immediately for gazillion reasons - judges are people too, they have families, and plenty of pain points FBI/CIA/NSA can press.

Oh, and of course mass disinformation media will put piles of dirt lies onto SAF during the whole process.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Let me get this straight...the '2nd Amendment foundation' threatens to sue over Govt executive orders (relating to infringing upon the rights of American citizens)...?!!! LOL

I do not think 'suing them in court' was what the founders had in mind, should the Govt ever attempt to infringe upon our rights!!! LOL

American citizens taking up arms, is to be used to stop such a thing!!! DUH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies