Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 08:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 3,783,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Odd that you would make this statement as a number of SMBs and corporations are looking to the state/federal government to mandate vaccinations to absolve themselves of making tough decisions that may result in twitterlike backlash.

Also odd that you are probably the first person in my nearly 2100+ posts that called me a liberal.
I don't represent those small businesses or corporations. Everyone lobbies for something.

I'm just calling things based on observation. People who liked Trump's liberal policies are liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:01 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,290,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
until every airline does it.
Not a single airline will ever mandate vaccination. You’ll see some international countries require or for entry but yeah, I can guarantee you no airline is willingly going to eliminate like half of their flying base

Old 02-20-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Not a single airline will ever mandate vaccination. You’ll see some international countries require or for entry but yeah, I can guarantee you no airline is willingly going to eliminate like half of their flying base
I think we will reach well above 50% of the population in vaccinations.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,849,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Interesting question.

There's been some really interesting cases on this. Particularly local governments that forced small retail businesses to shut down while allowing large retail stores (like Walmart) to stay open. This favored large retail outlets over small businesses. I find this to be unfair treatment and in violation of business owners' rights.

Now if you go by the when the bill of rights was created, the framers did not intend for The Constitution to apply to state and local government. But things have most certainly changed since then. Particularly the fourteenth amendment which said that some parts of the bill of rights may be enforced against the state and local governments. However, it didn't indicate which rights. In 1926 a key supreme court ruling set precedent for just this. And when I say "just this", I mean Justice. That is Liberty and Justice.

So there you have it. A federal judge would have to rule that the shut down was in violation of liberty or justice. Like the initial example with small retailers and large retailers, it's straight forward in terms of justice. But statewide shutdowns and whether this violates liberty or justice is up for interpretation by federal courts. We'll have to see where this goes.
Generally small businesses that sold essential goods were allowed to stay open. It was my general impression that it was the goods sold, not the size, of the business that was the primary guiding factor. Though I do wonder why more sellers of non essential goods didn't diversify their products and sell essential goods along with non essential goods like Walmart.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I think we will reach well above 50% of the population in vaccinations.
60 is the best we are gonna get I think

Old 02-20-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
60 is the best we are gonna get I think
Unless we start paying people to get it.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Unless we start paying people to get it.
You’d have to pay most people something beyond reason I think. I would consider it for 100,000 or more

Old 02-20-2021, 09:10 PM

Quote:
You’d have to pay most people something beyond reason I think. I would consider it for 100,000 or more
Most people would do it for far less.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 PM

4,949 posts, read 2,211,773 times
Quote:
I don't represent those small businesses or corporations. Everyone lobbies for something.

I'm just calling things based on observation. People who liked Trump's liberal policies are liberal.
Yup, unless you have financial interests, you don't give a rip. The mission statement of every lawyer.

It doesn't bother me if you misidentify me as a liberal. I would rather be a liberal than lie to myself about my ideology while supporting an infringement of individual freedoms.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
You aren't most people. A homeless guy would do it for $20 a typical college student for maybe $500.

People sell their own blood and plasma.

Make vaccination s requirement to get that $1400 and we got 90%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies