Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 11:32 AM

19,394 posts, read 6,434,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
it that’s where God has called you then go for it.

I’m free to shop where I please. A website telling me which companies to use doesn’t help or hurt anyone. I decide where I spend my dollars.

but yes, please start this boycott and promote it using your real name. I’m sure you will get a ton of support.
Of course I have no interest in doing that. It was to make a point how racist it would be.

Sorry, but companies should not be favoring certain businesses over others because of skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,549,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I take back what I said, that this is racism. I don't think it is. It is more of an example of exclusivity and division.
did Google stop you from searching for any other business?

Do you get upset when companies have discounts for vets or senior citizens?

Google isn’t the only game in town either. Just use a different browser if it really upsets you or maybe this is just for show and you guys aren’t really upset?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:35 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I take back what I said, that this is racism. I don't think it is. It is more of an example of exclusivity and division.
There is nothing 'exclusive' about it or dividing...unless you see it that way.

And because YOU interpret it that way -- you can't be blaming others.

Own how you interpret information.

Come on --- you all are fighting for free thinking as you suggest you aren't able to freely think for yourself.

That's on you kids.

I didn't even see the button and wouldn't have noticed it.

What does that make me -- oh wait - not triggered by stuff.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 AM

15,360 posts, read 12,549,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Of course I have no interest in doing that. It was to make a point how racist it would be.

Sorry, but companies should not be favoring certain businesses over others because of skin color.
why not? its their business and they can pick and choose who they want to promote based on race, age, sexuality, etc

Don’t use them if you don’t like the way they run their business.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:40 AM

31,285 posts, read 20,621,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I opened Google Chrome this morning and saw a new banner link at the bottom of the home page - where I have never seen one before.

It read:

Is this what is meant by inclusiveness and unity that we were promised by the new Administration, because I believe that it is actually segregating and divisive. I am not a racist - I really don't care what race the owner of a business I patronize is.
I suspect there will be just as many people using this feature to boycott black-owned businesses as the number who use it to support black-owned businesses. BOTH are racist.

Google profits from their racism so why wouldn't they promote racism?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:40 AM

18,994 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Did anyone read why they did it https://people.com/home/google-launc...d%20businesses.

It states "In honor of the start of Black History Month, on Feb. 1, Google announced they were launching a new shopping feature that will help users find and purchase products from Black-owned businesses.

Over the past 12 months, search requests for "Black owned businesses" have increased by 600 percent, according to the company, which noted that people are looking for recommendations for everything from restaurants to bookstores, beauty products and more."

So it seems that based on what people are searching for is why they created it on their Shopping Page someplace I normally never go to. But when I did just go and tried it I typed in Catholic, Jewish or Black owned businesses all I got was a list of products that would be applicable to the group. I even type in Trump Stuff and got a wide assortment of items so it seems all of it is just a way to make a shoppers search more specific to what they want.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:41 AM

31,285 posts, read 20,621,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Is the site letting you know, so you know where to shop, or so you know where to avoid?

Is one of those uses more racist than the other?

If so, why?
Both are racist and Google loves it.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:42 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,562,527 times
Quote:

Google isn’t the only game in town either. Just use a different browser if it really upsets you or maybe this is just for show and you guys aren’t really upset?
Are Vets and Seniors a race?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:43 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
Still don't understand how giving you the choice to find black owned businesses is racism.

It doesn't stop you from not choosing black owned businesses or white owned businesses.

You can do it -- you can just ignore the button. We have your back and you can vent here and we can get you through this.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:44 AM

28,890 posts, read 14,243,132 times
Quote:

This isn't about being "upset" or stopping what people do. It isn't a ground breaking issue. It's merely just an example of calling race into something that normally isn't about race. Its obvious you are okay with using race as a decision maker. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 02-15-2021 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies