Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:23 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
That really surprises me!! Nearly all of the friends I've stayed in touch with since leaving Utah are Democrats, and at least three of my siblings are, so I assumed the number was higher. Nowhere near half, but I'd have thought between 25-30%.

As for the incitement to insurrection charges, I'm not convinced that's what he did. From a legal standpoint, rather than an emotional one, I don't think there was enough to convict. You can find plenty of lawyers who say the same, but I picked this lawyer and the prosecutor because one is liberal and the other is in D.C. - so you would think they'd be against Trump enough to not have a right-leaning bias and reason to argue for him.

"Paul Smith, a lawyer who has argued for liberal causes at the U.S. Supreme Court, said the Brandenburg case shows Trump’s speech was constitutionally protected.
A top prosecutor in the District of Columbia, Ken Kohl, on Jan. 8 told reporters that he did not expect to see a criminal case against Trump for inciting violence."
Nor I, as it was simply another episode of Trump being unPresidential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 11:38 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
The Trumpers are making all the noise, the true republicans are the silent majority. I'm 1000% percent certain that Romney can retain his senate seat in Utah for as long as he wants to.
So to be clear, true republicans are Bain Capital executives who relish in destroying small towns for multinational corporations?

Just checking.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:46 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Q is strong in this one^

Unlike Trump, Romney has ethics and believes in God.
Romney was a Bain Capital executive who wished to destroy small communities for the proliferation of multinationals.

Tell me more about this god believing man.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:27 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Pretty obvious that there is no room for dissent or difference among many of the Trump supporters, here and elsewhere. You either toe that Trump line or they will turn on you like rabid dogs. Even when Trump openly violates the Constitution or pretends that he understands science or medicine, one must not voice that the Emperor has no clothes!

These are people to whom facts or truth or science are mere inconveniences to be brushed aside in favor of their Trump worship.

Weird too, because he let them down so completely. He had a chance to provide them what they desired and just floundered. Couldn't put down the Twitter for a second, just to effect lasting change. Yet, like an abused wife, they look up through bruised and battered eyes and say, "I love you, Donnie". And "He's not so bad. You just don't know him."

Old 02-17-2021, 12:37 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Romney was a Bain Capital executive who wished to destroy small communities for the proliferation of multinationals.

Tell me more about this god believing man.
Vast numbers of Republicans and Libertarians believe in the "free market" and globalization and de-regulation. When one believes totally in the free market and limited government, it is pretty hard to put the brakes on globalization. To legislate policies that hamper free and unfettered trade.

Also, a strong case can be made that to become isolationist in our economic policies, is a death knell. There is no question that the U.S. is not going to see the growth of emerging markets going forward. We can either participate in that growth, even be leaders in that growth or turn inward and face an aging populace and much slower growth prospects.

Turning inward is the approach one takes when they have not got what it takes to succeed. An acceptance that one's best days are behind them and soon they will be mostly irrelevant. Good luck with that! China will be glad to take those spoils for themselves, unhampered by our competition or aspirations..

Old 02-17-2021, 12:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Let them do it. He's supposed to represent them. Perhaps it is time to consider a process for individual states to be able to recall their representatives if they are not very happy.
You mean the ole 'Mob rule" sentiment?

Old 02-17-2021, 12:44 PM

8,758 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks93 View Post
Senator Romney was almost killed because of this moron
Yea right

Old 02-17-2021, 12:48 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Interesting.....Globalist Mitt may pay for his traitorous behavior

Mitt Romney Could Soon Pay the Price for Voting to Convict Trump

Some Utah Republicans are rumbling in disgust over Republican Sen. Mitt Romney’s vote to convict former President Donald Trump during Trump’s Senate impeachment trial.

“I’ve gotten phone calls and emails, and I’m seeing a lot of chat on Facebook that people want to do a measure of censure against Sen. Romney

https://conservativebrief.com/could-soon-pay-35096/
Second time for Mitt, two rights doesn't make a wrong for Mitt!

Old 02-17-2021, 12:49 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Every GOP who voted to convict Trump will have to answer to their constituents.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:55 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Romney has the freedom to say what he feels due to his approval ratings in Utah. Many pubs would say the same thing has him if they didn't fear the Trump base backlash and being primaried. Such is the way politics work,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies