Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Texas needs to be regulated like before 2000. Electricity bills were never bad until 2000 when de-regulation happened. Probably time for Texas to be on the Federal grid too.
The cost of natural gas in TX is incredibly high compared to surrounding states as well. Which is frustrating since we have so much natural gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Just wait until the big earthquake hits Calif and 1/3 of the land slides into the pacific. Then will they say way to go governor and senator so and so why weren’t you prepared for it.
Or when sea levels rise and Arcadia florida is now beach front

Old 02-20-2021, 09:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
The cost of natural gas in TX is incredibly high compared to surrounding states as well. Which is frustrating since we have so much natural gas.
Good point. Just doesn't make sense with abundance of nat gas for it to cost so much.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I dunno... my power in CA hasn't gone out yet...
My electricity, gas and water never went out in Oklahoma, either, even though it got clear down to a record breaking minus 10 below ZERO. But, quite unlike Texas, nobody wants to move to Oklahoma, so I think I can count on the power continuing to stay on next winter, too. Also when it gets well past 100 during summer.

So unlike highly undesirable states, such as Oklahoma and other Plains states, when you got utter hordes and hordes of people moving to a highly desirable state, such as Texas, of course, you're going to end up having severe problems that come with overwhelming demand upon the available supply. So people moving to Texas had better figure out how to be prepared for sudden future shortages.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-20-2021 at 10:18 PM..

Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I agree. The federal government needs to manage their land better and this includes the national forests they own.
Planned burns are human-made events and as such need to follow all environmental compliance rules. That includes the Clean Air Act, which limits the emission of PM 2.5, or fine particulate matter, from human-caused events. In California, those rules are enforced by CARB, the state’s mighty air resources board, and its local affiliates. “I’ve talked to many prescribed fire managers, particularly in the Sierra Nevada over the years, who’ve told me, ‘Yeah, we’ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars to get all geared up to do a prescribed burn,’ and then they get shut down.”

https://massivesci.com/articles/mega...re-management/

Old 02-20-2021, 10:12 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Current blackouts due to cold weather: 3 million plus affected
California blackouts due to extreme heat: 300,000 affected
I don't know if your numbers are correct since you don't source anything.

But here is the difference in general. The snow and ice in TX shut down some energy sources and then the system cascaded. There were mistakes made in not winterizing and in reducing some capacities, but that can be corrected.

CA didn't have power plants shut down caused by heat, the heat caused demand for electricity that CA couldn't fulfill because they have been taking power offline in CA. In the last 6 years CA has shutdown more than 9 gigawatts of gas power. Those 9 gigawatts could have met the demand.

There’s a Lesson for the Energy Transition in California

Old 02-21-2021, 09:01 AM

8,146 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

But here is the difference in general. The snow and ice in TX shut down some energy sources and then the system cascaded. There were mistakes made in not winterizing and in reducing some capacities, but that can be corrected.

CA didn't have power plants shut down caused by heat, the heat caused demand for electricity that CA couldn't fulfill because they have been taking power offline in CA. In the last 6 years CA has shutdown more than 9 gigawatts of gas power. Those 9 gigawatts could have met the demand.

Yes, it can. And last time TX was told that it should be done was 10 years ago, after the previous fiasco - Super bowl 2011. Ask me if it were done

Which two areas of TX were not affected much by the current disaster? Hint: these areas are not part of the state grid.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:07 AM

495 posts, read 327,799 times
Just wanted to mention that, here in the UPPER Midwest, the power's been on the entire time with no issues. The municipal utility that employs me is reducing electricity rates next year by 10%, due to favorable hedging results for natural gas. It's also spending millions to run a second main water main, just to ensure that water services aren't disrupted for too long should there be a failure.
This is what proper stewardship looks like.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:18 AM

9,870 posts, read 4,641,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post

Maybe over the last year that 300K might be a usable number but not over the last 2 years.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts...-without-power

At one point last summer California power companies had plans to cut 3 million

https://deadline.com/2020/08/califor...ek-1203015664/

Old 02-21-2021, 09:21 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
We're still having heated political arguments about whether climate change is real and whether we should do something about it. One wonders how we're going to be able to harden our infrastructure against the environmental changes brought on by climate change? I suppose nature will need to keep whacking us over the head until we pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies