Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Apple Hypocritical on Social Justice
Yes obviously 31 86.11%
Yes a little bit 2 5.56%
Unsure 2 5.56%
Not really, maybe a tad 0 0%
Not at all 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 04:49 AM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times

Advertisements

Apple has committed $100 million to social justice.

Apple has ads that promote social justice.

Apple also makes their physical components in Chinese sweatshops where there are suicide nets, the workers live on site so they can be woken up in the middle of the night to work for cheap labor while being one of the most profitable companies in America.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...device-extract

Is it hypocritical to preach social justice at home while workers making your product are committing suicide, because you allow them to be treated so poorly? Do not the Chinese workers assembling these products have as much value as the Americans that Apple preaches equity and social justice too?

How these workers are treated in China would not be tolerated if it were within our borders. What makes it okay in one location, but not okay in another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Yes. Pure virtue signalling to target consumers.

LOL that one was easy.

Might even get some of our left of center people to agree with some of our right of center people.

Old 02-16-2021, 04:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
OP are you saying that you and yours will never purchase Apple products over your perceived practices on their manufacturing? Can you tell me what Cell Phone is made in our country? As for the donation anything Apple does is pure marketing in one form or another that's their bottom line.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:00 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
Yes, the Left has always been about hypocrisy and phony superficial gestures to fool people into thinking their cause is wholesome and just.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP are you saying that you and yours will never purchase Apple products over your perceived practices on their manufacturing? Can you tell me what Cell Phone is made in our country? As for the donation anything Apple does is pure marketing in one form or another that's their bottom line.
So then you agree that Apple, a Leftist company, is hypocritical and using social justice as a way to make money?

Old 02-16-2021, 05:08 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Is it Apple's place or ours to change employment practices in China? The USA really does need to learn to m ind our own business.

WE love to shut down those alleged sweatshops. What we dont bother with, is where do those people go to work after they have lost their jobs?

Maybe just maybe, the USA needs to focus on our own problems for a change.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Is it Apple's place or ours to change employment practices in China? The USA really does need to learn to m ind our own business.

WE love to shut down those alleged sweatshops. What we dont bother with, is where do those people go to work after they have lost their jobs?

What are you talking about? These companies talk a good game of being all about human rights, helping this or that cause but like this shows, it is all just bogus.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:14 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What are you talking about? These companies talk a good game of being all about human rights, helping this or that cause but like this shows, it is all just bogus.
Im talking about who gives a damn and that it is none of our business. You ever notice the USA has a nasty habit of butting into other peoples business and making things far worse?

Old 02-16-2021, 05:15 AM

1,751 posts, read 753,933 times
Quote:

I am not saying the US government should have the right to make laws inside of China.

I am saying....

Apple chose to move their manufacturing to China knowing what happens in the sweatshops so they can make some of the largest profit margins of large companies on earth. Apple chooses to do business with these sweatshops knowing what continues to happen. Apple does not choose to work out a deal with FoxCon and other sweatshops to give more money or rights to workers. Apple is complicit in the lack of equity and the lack of social justice in these sweatshops.

Then Apple chooses to preach to us about equity and social justice - while being a major violator of it abroad.

Is that not severely hypocritical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am clearly saying that Apple is hypocritical. We allow them to be hypocritical by not calling them out and holding them and others to task. For what it is worth I don't think I have ever owned an apple product, but I realize that most companies want to exploit Asian workers.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:16 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
Quote:
Im talking about who gives a damn and that it is none of our business. You ever notice the USA has a nasty habit of butting into other peoples business and making things far worse?
Agree with your latter sentence but I believe the OP is being critical of Apple for using said Chinese sweat shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies