Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 08:44 PM

558 posts, read 338,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
To be fair to the the people of Texas, this storm was *very* unusual. I have family down that way, and they've managed (one of my cousins did have a pipe burst.) But this same cousin also took pictures and posted them of how much snow was at her house (Dallas area), and was pretty stunned by it. (It wasn't much by my standards, but....I'm in Colorado.)
"pipe burst" What ghetto is that? Pueblo hit -20. No burst pipes here. Not an architect, but just guessing quality design would have prevented that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 08:50 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://people.com/human-interest/te...mid-snowstorm/

Look, I defend people from the Darwinists who say it is survival of the fittest, but I am surprised people cannot come up with ways to survive.

Maybe its because my family is from Iran and their use to this type of stuff, but people in this country just let out if the government or corporation can't provide for them.

When my dad moved to Texas in the 1980s there was a blizzard and his car broke down in the middle of no where, he used rugs to seal off the doors and slept there till morning.

In my house we had a power outage during a blizzard. We all gathered in one room, turned on a gas lamp and some firewood.

Then we took this large blanket and nailed it to the wall. There was cold air from the other side, and if we wanted to go out we could wear a jacket, take off one of the pins and go where we need to and then come back. We did this for a week straight.

It seems when things stop working, a good portion of Americans just give up.

We just went without hot water, no heat, no stove, no phone and internet and no shower most of the week until tonight.
We got down into the 20's inside the house all in a Barndominium.

Never went hungry, stayed as warm as possible and kept pipes from freezing.
we did it and never cried about it....on our own.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://people.com/human-interest/te...mid-snowstorm/

Look, I defend people from the Darwinists who say it is survival of the fittest, but I am surprised people cannot come up with ways to survive.

Maybe its because my family is from Iran and their use to this type of stuff, but people in this country just let out if the government or corporation can't provide for them.

When my dad moved to Texas in the 1980s there was a blizzard and his car broke down in the middle of no where, he used rugs to seal off the doors and slept there till morning.

In my house we had a power outage during a blizzard. We all gathered in one room, turned on a gas lamp and some firewood.

Then we took this large blanket and nailed it to the wall. There was cold air from the other side, and if we wanted to go out we could wear a jacket, take off one of the pins and go where we need to and then come back. We did this for a week straight.

It seems when things stop working, a good portion of Americans just give up.
Who said they gave up?? I was in Texas with last child. Military broke so lived in a mobile home. I nailed all the blankets on all the window and turned the oven on. Put the two boys to sleep together and I held that baby in my arms until the cold front passed. The heater was worthless. That wind and ice storm cut right through.
But consider the unemployment from COVID etc and they already on dire straights. But people find ways. Older or sickly not so much.
Complain of the wealthy power companies and uncaring politicians is right thing to do. I’m sure they complain in Iran too .

Old 02-19-2021, 08:57 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
"pipe burst" What ghetto is that? Pueblo hit -20. No burst pipes here. Not an architect, but just guessing quality design would have prevented that.
Wooden homes that are above ground and mobile homes all have pvc or cpvc and they burst if water freezes. Not all live in modern homes.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
We Texans have survived this very unusual weather for us.

I'd like to see you folks from New Hampshire, OP, survive 2 weeks of over 100 degree weather that we're totally used to and have absolutely no problem with.

We have lost almost no one during this incredible weather pattern.

We're all one country. Stop mocking Texas, because we aren't equipped to deal with cold, while y'all aren't used to dealing with heat.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
I seldom come to the defense of Texans, the people, but in this case they have been victimized by their state government and officials and the energy policy that left them vulnerable. It didn't have to be this bad. Power companies in other states know how to manage a crisis. What is ironic is that Texas energy companies figure prominently in the drive for deregulation. One can bet the farm that the weather will be cooperative forever but most people, including Texans, know that is a bad bet. So what happened? It wasn't just the weather. Follow the money.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 PM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
No one said ERCOT is unregulated. ERCOT does not have to adhere to certain federal regulations (and stays compliant with federal mandates) by not engaging in interstate commerce with their power grid. If they followed the guidelines set forth in those regulations they don't follow (by having their own grid) they wouldn't be in the mess they are in today.

Yes they have and on these very pages.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:02 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We Texans have survived this very unusual weather for us.

I'd like to see you folks from New Hampshire, OP, survive 2 weeks of over 100 degree weather that we're totally used to and have absolutely no problem with.

We have lost almost no one during this incredible weather pattern.
People in New Hampshire would do just fine with 100 degree weather. 110-115, no.

This weather is unusual but we had similar situations in parts of TX in 2010 and 2014. Not as extreme but with power outages for extended periods due to cold weather.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:03 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
This whole "crisis" really goes to show how little Texans have actually invested in their infrastructure. I've been looking at picture after picture of the weather down there and I just keep thinking how mild it looks compared to what we deal with here in CO. We probably get more snow in a day than they've had this entire time and our power/water/roads are just fine. I routinely drive to work when there's 6" of snow on the ground. It's no big deal.

Maybe the Texans need to start paying an income tax so they can afford to fix their state. Why should the burden fall on the Feds to send money to a state that doesn't pay their own way? Our taxes are a lot higher here in CO and I know that because I have working electricity and the internet so I can look it up.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
This whole "crisis" really goes to show how little Texans have actually invested in their infrastructure. I've been looking at picture after picture of the weather down there and I just keep thinking how mild it looks compared to what we deal with here in CO. We probably get more snow in a day than they've had this entire time and our power/water/roads are just fine. I routinely drive to work when there's 6" of snow on the ground. It's no big deal.

Maybe the Texans need to start paying an income tax so they can afford to fix their state. Why should the burden fall on the Feds to send money to a state that doesn't pay their own way? Our taxes are a lot higher here in CO and I know that because I have working electricity and the internet so I can look it up.
Afford to fix our state?

We are an extremely successful state, and everyone is moving here, including huge businesses.

It would be fabulous if fewer people flooded into our fabulous state. Truly. Could we put up a wall against everyone who is flooding here into Texas? Could you people not come here in droves to suck off our success?

BTW, Governor Abbott has not requested Federal help. He's said Texas can handle Texas. Learn. Our burden is NOT FALLING ON THE "FEDS".

Last edited by ClaraC; 02-19-2021 at 09:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies