Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 09:16 AM

26,882 posts, read 13,100,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Heard this today. Found it interesting.

52% of Germany's energy is from renewable sources. Yet it hasn't reduced their carbon emissions.

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news...le-electricity

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...any-emissions/

And neighboring French electricity costs are just 59% of German electricity prices. France produces one-tenth the carbon pollution from electricity compared to Germany.

https://energycentral.com/c/ec/germa...ts%20per%20kwh.
Germany hasn't met it's ambitious target for cutting emissions, however that doesn't mean that emissions haven't fallen.

Climate change: Germany cuts carbon emissions by 6.3% in 2019 - DW

As for France, it uses more nuclear energy however nuclear energy is not cheap, and you have a waste problem to deal with at the end of a power stations life cycle.

Cost of electricity by source - Wikipedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 09:18 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,810,621 times
Same ole argument. With any new technologies there is a curve to efficiency and lower costs but that doesn't mean we shouldn't endeavour to improve our technologies.

I don't get the resistance to caring for the planet...and of course there has to be a balance and that's why Biden is not in on the New Deal and Governor Abbott doesn't have to worry about it while his state is in emergency situation. AOC was not elected President....and she seems to have little influence over folks in Washington DC.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:09 AM

28,894 posts, read 14,243,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Germany hasn't met it's ambitious target for cutting emissions, however that doesn't mean that emissions haven't fallen.

Climate change: Germany cuts carbon emissions by 6.3% in 2019 - DW

As for France, it uses more nuclear energy however nuclear energy is not cheap, and you have a waste problem to deal with at the end of a power stations life cycle.

Cost of electricity by source - Wikipedia
Understood. And all I'm saying is the cost doesn't seem to be worth the results. Sure, any reductions in emissions are positive, but Germany plans on spending $500 billion...and so far is getting no where near the results of France , which has cheaper energy, to the tune of 59% and cleaner emissions.

And yes, waste is my big concern with nuclear. We just don't have a valid solution, in my opinion for it. So that is the vicious circle we (the globe) is currently in. Spend huge amounts of money for very little in results, or go nuclear with the added issue of it's waste. We need some sort of huge breakthrough in clean energy that is both, cost effective and actually clean.

Where is Keanu Reeves when we need him ? He accomplished this in the movie "Chain Reaction"

Old 02-17-2021, 10:12 AM

21,988 posts, read 15,605,133 times
Texas governor trying to blame Democrats and the Green New Deal. Except the Green New Deal is just a piece of legislation printed and never acted upon and no Democrats hold statewide office in Texas.

Last edited by Seacove; 02-17-2021 at 10:24 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 10:17 AM

46,757 posts, read 25,673,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't think anyone has said the wind turbines have caused the power issues.
Let me fix that for you, then - Gov. Abbott on Fox.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/s...66553998909442

And Rep. Dan Crenshaw:

https://twitter.com/RepDanCrenshaw/s...92731115380740

Glad we got that cleared up.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Texas doesn't experience snow and freezing cold weather as often like it did for the past few days.
They did in 1989 and in 2011. I guess the Texas event horizon is less than a decade.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
you need the data.

I don't blame it all on the green energy. I need to know the data. It is because we don't know the "should working" equipments output values.
We have the data. And a whole bunch of Republicans doing everything they can to obscure them.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:21 AM
bu2

23,855 posts, read 14,628,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They did in 1989 and in 2011. I guess the Texas event horizon is less than a decade.
2011 was not as bad as this week.

Houston has only had colder weather than this week 3 times, in 1930, 1899 and 1989.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:09 PM

26,882 posts, read 13,100,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Understood. And all I'm saying is the cost doesn't seem to be worth the results. Sure, any reductions in emissions are positive, but Germany plans on spending $500 billion...and so far is getting no where near the results of France , which has cheaper energy, to the tune of 59% and cleaner emissions.

And yes, waste is my big concern with nuclear. We just don't have a valid solution, in my opinion for it. So that is the vicious circle we (the globe) is currently in. Spend huge amounts of money for very little in results, or go nuclear with the added issue of it's waste. We need some sort of huge breakthrough in clean energy that is both, cost effective and actually clean.

Where is Keanu Reeves when we need him ? He accomplished this in the movie "Chain Reaction"
The UK is currently building two new Nuclear power stations at Sizewell and Hinkley.

Sizewell is costing around $28 Billion and Hinkley around $32 Billion, whilst a further $154 billion on decommissioning other nuclear power stations and then you have the problem of nuclear waste storage which costs a fortune, and which faces all kinds of legal challenges.

On top of this the UK also has a bill of $168 Billion in relation to the decommissioning of the Sellafield Nuclear Reprocessing plant.

Nuclear energy accounts for less than a quarter of energy supplies in the UK, but the cost is substantial, and the costs in relation to France where nearly three quarters of electricity is generated through nuclear power will be much greater than the UK's costs, and only Finland has so far come up with a workable sight to get rid of it's waste.

Old 02-17-2021, 12:38 PM

28,894 posts, read 14,243,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK is currently building two new Nuclear power stations at Sizewell and Hinkley.

Sizewell is costing around $28 Billion and Hinkley around $32 Billion, whilst a further $154 billion on decommissioning other nuclear power stations and then you have the problem of nuclear waste storage which costs a fortune, and which faces all kinds of legal challenges.

On top of this the UK also has a bill of $168 Billion in relation to the decommissioning of the Sellafield Nuclear Reprocessing plant.

Nuclear energy accounts for less than a quarter of energy supplies in the UK, but the cost is substantial, and the costs in relation to France where nearly three quarters of electricity is generated through nuclear power will be much greater than the UK's costs, and only Finland has so far come up with a workable sight to get rid of it's waste.
Is it though ? Is it really wise, for first Finland, then all the other countries that utilize or will utilize nuclear power to bury this highly dangerous waste deep in our planet ? And the Finland site isn't open as of yet...it's a still a few years off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies