Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 10:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
I knew that information already. I did not repeat that. I did not get a chance to get to my point.
Ok well if you didn’t repeat that I would think you wouldn’t have said it (what I stated) replying to my comment.

But ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 10:44 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This isn't even news. Have been reading stuff like that for decades.

Slavery was generally worst in the Caribbean.
A good example is that on thr island of Jamaica. African criminals and rebellious slaves from other colonies were taken to the island. I have a video in which a African slave guide tour mentions what slaves went where to.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:49 AM

6,640 posts, read 2,956,027 times
I don't get the point of this thread.

Slavery is bad. Tons of Countries did it back in the day since the dawn of man.

Do we get some sort of pass if we weren't the 'worst'?

It's like if a person was raped by 10 people but you let one off the hook because they didn't use foul language during the act.
lol.

Yes , it's bad. It's unfortunate. But we've grown since then.

Is this some kinda 'what about-ism?"
Some sort of Reparations seed?

Old 02-17-2021, 10:56 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Of course the NYT writer didn't mean to say this, but it is the logical conclusion from the evidence presented.

OK, but how disproportionate in the U.S. compared with elsewhere?

So black females slaves were far more likely to have children by black men than in Latin America.

And why was that?

Also...

Sounds like, on the whole, slavery was considerably less brutal in the U.S. than elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/s...-ancestry.html

https://www.unz.com/isteve/was-ameri...omment-4473797
Well heck, then we deserve an award!

My "logical conclusion" is that any attempt to put lipstick on the pig, that is owning humans as property, is a form of evil unto itself.

Could be worse though, like The Holocaust, there could be groups of people who declare slavery a hoax. It seems there are those who haven't got a clear concept of the history of mankind. We mostly lurched from one heinous act to another.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:08 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I just find it very unlikely that white American males mated with let alone raped black women in the slave days in any significant number. Most of the white admixture in blacks happened after slavery with white female black male mating.
This is not true. At all. And this has been proven with genetic testing, and genealogy.

Most black people still have absolutely no white relatives or ancestors after the civil war. Inter-racial pairings between white women and black men are recent - in the last 50 years. None of the European ancestry is recent. Biracial people are also not included in these genetic studies on the African-American populations - only people with two black parents and 4 black grandparents.

Genetic testing has shown that European haplogroups in the African-American population are ONLY from males. Nearly all females lines are African, and the male lines are 35% European and the rest African.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:15 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
I haven't really dug into it but I doubt the 23andme data proves paternity let alone rape 150 plus years ago. The data shows American whites are very European in ancestry. I just find it very unlikely that white American males mated with let alone raped black women in the slave days in any significant number. Most of the white admixture in blacks happened after slavery with white female black male mating.
That may depends on what you consider significant.
I have read from somewhere saying that at least one-fourth of slaves were mixed race or 'mulatto', which would explain our family trees in a lot of cases having a census identified mixed race ancestor in the last 150 years. One study reveals that 58% of African-Americans have at least 12.5% ancestry tracing back to Europe. Also, it's been stated that 30-40% of African American men have a European Y-chromosome. I consider that a significant percentage.

I think most mixing between whites and blacks (not counting mixed races post-1950s) occurred pre-1870 or civil war, and it was between white men and black women/girls. Looking at my own tree, I haven't found a white ancestor more recent than 5 generations ago(that's pre-1865 in my case), and I have 13% European ancestry according to 23andme. That pertains to my maternal lineages, but I doubt that I would be able to confirm a European ancestor more than the 5-8 generations ago threshold on my paternal lineage.. Both of my Y-chromosome and mtDNA are African in origin. Even looking at other African American profiles(some even over 40% European) with much higher percentages, most proclaim not having a close to 100% white person less than 150-160 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And if slavery never happened, there would be no Black Americans (13% of the American population) to enjoy that American standard of living.

Let's look at all the other developed countries who never had slavery, their black population is barely 1% or 2%. The percentage of blacks in Canada is only 3.5%. Why? Because no developed country wants 13% of a black population in their country, America is the only developed country with that type of black population which only happened as a result of slavery.

So the irony of us Black Americans whining about slavery forgets the huge factor that none of us would've ever been born in America otherwise.

I can't control that an African king sold my ancestors into slavery hundreds of years ago, but I can damn sure make the best of it right now compared to where I could've been born.
Even in those 3% black countries such as Canada and the UK, the black populations are approaching or exceeding the USA average in some of the major cities. Take London for example. It's a city with over 1.2 million (13.5%) blacks alone(not counting mixed race), which equates to it having the second largest non-suburban black diaspora(at least in the developed world) after NYC. That's even more blacks than in my county, which contains a slightly lower number of those who identify as 'black alone'. Toronto's black presence (9%) is roughly equivalent to Los Angeles from a percentage angle or somewhat greater raw numbers than St. Louis (city or metro).

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 02-17-2021 at 11:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2021, 11:19 AM

3,852 posts, read 2,223,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think most mixing between whites and blacks (not counting mixed races post-1950s) occurred pre-1870 or civil war. Looking at my own tree, I haven't found a white ancestor more recent than 5-8 generations ago(that's pre-1865 in my case), and I have 13% European ancestry according to 23andme. That pertains to may maternal side, but I doubt that I would be able to confirm a European ancestor more recent than the aforementioned. Both of my Y-chromosome and mtDNA are African in origin. Even looking at other African American profiles with much higher percentages, most proclaim not having a close to 100% white person less than 150-160 years ago.
Genetic studies on African-Americans do NOT include bi-racial people who have a white parent and know of their white family members. You have to have 4 black grandparents to be part of the studies. So NONE of the European admixture in black people is recent, and it has nothing to do with white women.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:30 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
I just find it very unlikely that white American males mated with let alone raped black women in the slave days in any significant number.
Mulattos, quadroons and octoroons were a hot item on the block. They didn't just pop into existence. As for rape...

Quote:
It certainly could have, besides it doesn't necessarily mean the parings were forced and not consensual.
There can be consent between owner and property? Really?

Quote:
So the prevailing narrative, that an especially brutal form of slavery was practiced in the United Sates, is wrong.
Where the ever-lovin' is that the prevailing narrative? Anyone with a passing interest in the Atlantic slave trade knows that. Doesn't excuse America one bit.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 02-17-2021 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-17-2021, 11:35 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
I haven't really dug into it but I doubt the 23andme data proves paternity let alone rape 150 plus years ago. The data shows American whites are very European in ancestry. I just find it very unlikely that white American males mated with let alone raped black women in the slave days in any significant number. Most of the white admixture in blacks happened after slavery with white female black male mating.
This is very true for me. My great great grand mother a black woman was married to a white man. And both were from English speaking Barbados and left for Colombia to find work. My great grand a biracial woman, married a white man from Spain in Colombia which gave birth to my grand mother who married a mulatto who was of Brazilian origin. However history is very different from country to country.

Old 02-17-2021, 11:40 AM

35,680 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Quote:
Of course the NYT writer didn't mean to say this, but it is the logical conclusion from the evidence presented.

OK, but how disproportionate in the U.S. compared with elsewhere?

So black females slaves were far more likely to have children by black men than in Latin America.

And why was that?

Also...

Sounds like, on the whole, slavery was considerably less brutal in the U.S. than elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/s...-ancestry.html

https://www.unz.com/isteve/was-ameri...omment-4473797
Pfft. Someone trying to find a way to minimize the plight of slaves. And on Black History month at that :hamd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies