Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 10:31 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

I don't recall prior cold snaps leaving us without power, except in local cases where ice brought down power lines. The difference this time is that Texas now relies on renewables (windmills) for 25% of its electricity. The windmills froze. Other plants froze, too, but we have not suffered long-duration outages like this in past years, to my knowledge, before so much of our generating capacity was turned over to the renewables.
It was mainly the gas/coal power plants going off line that caused most of the problem, not renewables. A lot of gas pipelines froze too from what I read. Windmills can be weatherized too as they are in much colder climates.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:43 AM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Ask the Californians that are moving there

Old 02-18-2021, 10:51 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro1000 View Post
Yes the storm is a fluke but they pay alot of taxes out there and yet where's the services for the citizens? Houston was flooded out a couple of years ago. They should be more prepared. Don't forget they ripped and ragged on California when the fires were raging out here
Your post is nothing more than a gloating post. Didn’t you post this exact same thing in the California forum?
In Texas it’s a freak event.
Are you going to say that the frequent fires in California are freak events. Why do they call it fire season? Fires have been happening every year and it’s not like California is unaware of its likelihood. They can prepare.
You think California isn’t a high tax state?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:56 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
I'm not enjoying any of it. I got friends in Texas and thankfully they're fine. I wish no harm on no one! Its just that California is everybody's whipping boy for past 4-6 years now and the Texas brass has been piling on for some time now even during the natural disasters that we've suffered. What's all the crying about? There's a hundred threads bashing California and its exodus and one little ole measly Texas thread has got you bent out of shape. Suck it up and get some thick skin! Its what we've been doing for years now!
Funny how when a fact is stated and it’s not favorable to California it’s considered bashing by California posters.
A fact is a fact whether it positive or negative.
Funny how Californians like to speak about expression of thoughts and opinions in their great state but when it’s something they don’t like they whine about it.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:00 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
The left wing nut jobs from California are like locusts, once they ravage one place they up and go and find another.

Quote:
This snowstorm has lifted the veil on the state. Its been exposed and looks funny in the light. No power, no water, and bad politicians and business practices. Here's on mayor of a Texas town right here

Old 02-18-2021, 11:23 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Hundred year floods. Every five years. Hundred year droughts. Every 10 years. Hundred year deep freeze... Better plan on them being way more frequent than that.

Old 02-18-2021, 12:49 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
What are you, 5 years old? “They did it to me first! I feel bad so I’ll do it to them!”

Grow up.
Yes, you grow up. If it's fair to bash California, then it's fair to bash Texas. It's called consistency.

Conservatives are just trying to have it both ways. They want it to be socially acceptable to whip on California for its liberal policies, yet they want it socially unacceptable to bash Texas for its conservative policies. There's a word for that one - hypocrisy.

Presumably because the right-wing base that implied claim in assuming that conventional long-standing ways of doing things is fine the way they are and therefore don't need to change. Uh, no. Lots of things that worked well (or at least not so bad) in the past are unfit for the 2021 situation, if it was fit for any time in human history at all. Same thing goes for "human nature". Some things about "human nature" did make a kinda-sorta sense in the past,but are totally unfit for a society with modern technology, transportation, communication, education, and standard of living. We just have to reexamine our basebrain human nature impulses and behaviors, plus likewise reexamine our long-established way of doing things -- then determine if they're appropriate or inappropriate for a Digital Age society.

Old 02-18-2021, 01:43 PM

596 posts, read 302,317 times
Big thumbs up to the Mod that directed this thread to where it belongs. Let the people that want to waste time bickering about politics have fun with it. Cheerleading natural disasters is simply a classless thing to do.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Big thumbs up to the Mod that directed this thread to where it belongs. Let the people that want to waste time bickering about politics have fun with it. Cheerleading natural disasters is simply a classless thing to do.

I don't think anyone is "cheerleading" here? I think what we're doing is focusing on the inconsistency of people who like to point the finger at California and bash our state (such as during the past fire season when power was being shut off) and then not hold their own state (Texas) accountable for the same thing.

During the Trump Administration, you guys literally went to town on California...bashing us in thread-after-thread, article-after-article, actively passing laws at the federal level to take the SALT deductions away and punish us economically, sending people in to try to lure businesses away....literally one thing after another!

And now when it's pointed out that you have a state and a grid that are vulnerable to the whims of Mother Nature -- just as our state is -- you get angry and call it "cheerleading". FAR FROM IT!

But, "cheerleading" is exactly what you guys did all throughout the Trump Administration when you felt you had his support in smacking us and making light of our demise.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:20 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Bring em in. The quicker it goes blue the better . We have seen where the De-Regulated, "All for me none of thee" corporate republican mindset has gotten us.. Freezing to death while the right wing "leaders" point fingers and go on Mexican Vacations.. Righhttt. Texas was minutes/seconds away from total Black out, & Recreating scenes from the Movie "Alive". All because of corporate, de-regulated RIGHT WING GREED

Last edited by DorianRo; 02-18-2021 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies