Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 04:32 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I live in New England and when you get ice storms the trees take the power lines down. My sister lost power for two weeks in New Hampshire a couple of years back.
What happens to your pipes when that happens? I assume you guys have way better insulation and your pipes are insulated too. I tried, thought I did everything right. I was expecting this for a couple of days. Let the water drip in all the faucets and opened the cabinet doors and thankfully had power the whole time so far, but the damn pipe above my laundry room that is next to the breezeway between the house and the garage must have an opening from the garage because it burst yesterday. I shut off the main water and drained all the pipes so we have no water and no plumber is even answering the phone today. I hope I can get it fixed in the next few days but I don’t know.

I’m counting my blessings because I just saw a family on the local news that had the pipes in the attic burst and the ceiling fall down all over their bed.

Now I’m watching the national news and have to hear the usual “minorities hit especially hard.” Why do they do that? We are all going through the same damn thing!

Last edited by katygirl68; 02-17-2021 at 04:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I get out and cross country ski...shoveling the snow is good exercise...I shovelled a foot off my driveway last night when I got home from work...and we didn't even get hit hard by this storm...
My dogs absolutely love playing in the snow...it's a joy to bundle up and play w/ them in it...sled riding w/ the nephews is fun...the only thing I hate about it is driving in it...otherwise I love the cold.
It’s good to love what you have. My blood is too thin for this now, as well as my clothes lol.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:42 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why weren't power problems even worse in Oklahoma where temps got below zero in all 77 counties of the state? The snow got deeper, too. No utilities ever went off here in my part of town. This even though Oklahoma is regarded as one of the most poorly Republican run states in the union. Maybe Democrat haters ought to do a thread about how well Oklahoma did with the extreme cold.
Texas chose years ago to be their own independent power grid - they can't easily purchase power from other states. They did this for purely Republican reasons: So that the power companies in Texas could make more money and not deal with those "inconvenient" regulations that the rest of the grid deals with.

Decisions have consequences.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:43 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This shows the lack of self reliance and ineptitude of many democrats to handle any sort of hardship without the help of big government carrying them along. Most red areas are small town and rural where you have to be able to take care of and be responsible for your own safety and wellbeing. You're never going to have emergency services or the comforts that people in the city have. They're going to be prepared for and able to handle the power grid going out every once and while, especially once every two or three decades. This is something that is a nightmare for cities which are majority blue whether they're in red or blue states. You could really say that what this really means is that democrats are the ones not preparing for these occurrences and they should be turning red so that they are better equipped to handle the power going out.
The Venn diagram of Democrats and preppers is not nearly so thinly overlapped as you are making it out to be.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:01 PM

6,098 posts, read 2,721,277 times
Republicans blame their incompetence on Democrat's its always pass the buck here and there pathetic.

They can't govern and it shows everyday.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:30 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
that’s cold

I see what you did there.

I see what both of you did there!

Old 02-17-2021, 05:43 PM

23,970 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's fine but where do you stop? You can build for a 10,000 year flood and it might happen but what are the odds? Instead the common build is for a 100 year event because the likelihood of that happening is greater.

The same way with weather. This is probably a once in 50 years, or greater, event (although, just like 100 year floods, it could happen again next year). Do you build for the expectation that it happens every year, with the associated higher costs, or build for what's the most common?
Consumers will pay one way or another. Save on infrastructure, pay higher homeowners insurance rates.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
I think the bottom line is TX should never have gone off the national grid and it was purely political and that has cost them dearly during this...OK, LA, and several other states down there that also aren't use to the cold didn't lose power because they were able to go tap into the national grid...

Those who blame green energy are idiots...we have windmills up here in Ohio...they have many in places like Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Indiana, and Illinois...all states that that get deep freezes regularly, and our windmills never freeze...

Old 02-17-2021, 06:25 PM

57,242 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What happens to your pipes when that happens? I assume you guys have way better insulation and your pipes are insulated too. I tried, thought I did everything right. I was expecting this for a couple of days. Let the water drip in all the faucets and opened the cabinet doors and thankfully had power the whole time so far, but the damn pipe above my laundry room that is next to the breezeway between the house and the garage must have an opening from the garage because it burst yesterday. I shut off the main water and drained all the pipes so we have no water and no plumber is even answering the phone today. I hope I can get it fixed in the next few days but I don’t know.

I’m counting my blessings because I just saw a family on the local news that had the pipes in the attic burst and the ceiling fall down all over their bed.

Now I’m watching the national news and have to hear the usual “minorities hit especially hard.” Why do they do that? We are all going through the same damn thing!
If temperatures get near single digits for extended periods it's best to drain the water system, I wouldn't think these homes in the south to be prepared for this type of extreme temperatures. This happens once in awhile in the south but never saw power outages of this magnitude in this type of weather.

We have ice storms in NY from time to time, they are the worst.

Old 02-17-2021, 06:26 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,837,152 times
GOP Representative Dan Crenshaw is on Twitter blaming California for Texas’ loss of electricity, lolol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies