Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 08:46 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I thought TX was going blue anyway from all those California businesses moving in. lol.
Texas is definitely shifting towards blue but not at a rate that people think. It will take another decade if things keep going the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 08:48 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
Funny how it takes a disaster of nature to blame a Republican for failure to govern but democrats cause governments to fail by just be being in office. I guess they're just natural at it.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:50 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
A temperature of -1 is NOT normal, even for areas like Chicago. Anyone who thinks differently is perhaps an idiot.
Lived in my state for close to 40 years and seen it down to 14- below zero several times

Old 02-17-2021, 08:52 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
a firestorm burned down a whole town in northern California a few years ago. I'm still waiting for CA to turn red.
It won't, until they unrig the election system there.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Funny how it takes a disaster of nature to blame a Republican for failure to govern...

Trump's failed insurrection attempt at the Capitol was not a disaster of nature.

But when it comes to blackouts... California handled theirs 10x better than Texas did.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:57 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Lived in my state for close to 40 years and seen it down to 14- below zero several times
I didn't imply that it never happens. I just stated that it isn't a normal occurrence just like when you mentioned in a previous thread, "My dad was born in 1923 in Texas and mentioned having some pretty harsh winters, it may not be normal, but this isn’t the first time it’s happened."

Old 02-17-2021, 09:32 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
On Hannity, Governor Abbot blamed the outages on frozen wind turbines and said the Green New Deal would be deadly for the US.

Abbot’s own Energy Department contradicted him. According to the Texas Energy Dept the power losses are due to a failure to winterize the power generating systems, including fossil fuel pipelines.

Now Abbot is calling for an investigation as to what went wrong.

Bottom line: Expect Texas to ask the Fed to pay for winterizing its power generating systems. Throw in a few thousand salt trucks, too.
Yep. The changing climate will require re-engineering the power grid in places. It's an engineering problem and the politicians will need to figure out how to foot the bill. I personally don't think there's one solution to the energy issue; it will require a hybrid approach utilizing cost-effective renewables with some nuclear and even selected oil/coal-based generators to fill the gaps. If we can get to 80/20 renewables/non-renewables then we'll have taken a big step in helping the environment and saving costs.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Guess again... The left spent DECADES cramming global warming down everyone's throats, so when it doesn't happen and people die during prolonged record-breaking cold weather, they're going to be angry about the left's repeated lies.
As has been stated repeated on this board, it is called "climate change", which causes global disruptions in both directions. Don't be disingenuous.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:35 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Funny last I have been reading on CD is that Texas wants to leave the union. Maybe that explains why they are the only state that is not connected to a neighboring states power grid then they could get electricity and take care of their people. And posters wonder why politicians are being blamed maybe they have something to do with this...
They'll have to secede if they want to leave. I doubt Mexico wants them back.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:37 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,166,187 times
Does the OP know this happen in blue cities in tx??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies