Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times

Advertisements

Google folded, so will FB unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 05:15 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
news sites and big tech are competing for advertising money (Water inside the glass is only this much.) Google pays news companies because Google uses the news for google news. That is understandable. I remember FB removed their news feed a couple of years ago because companies wanted FB to pay for the news.
Sounds like the issue is news sites aren’t getting enough traffic to their sites. That’s a flaw in their business and their problem, not fb/google. I’m not familiar with google news; but if it’s like how other news sites just use ap articles, then that makes sense but I feel that’s separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 366h34d View Post
that is the gov't and news companies pt (I think it is weak). FB users read the headlines only and don't visit the websites. The news companies are like YouTubers, and FB is a content provider.
Then I guess they should come up with better headlines to get convince people to click. I guess I totally surf headlines without clicking the article; but that’s more cause most of it is useless garbage.

And the similarity isn’t exactly the same. Facebook would have to be deriving incoming from people reading the news; which they’re not.

Old 02-18-2021, 05:52 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
I don't understand why Google or Facebook should be forced to pay for this...it's up to the News companies to generate advertising revenue....this reeks of Gov't picking one industry over another.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:30 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I don't understand why Google or Facebook should be forced to pay for this...it's up to the News companies to generate advertising revenue....this reeks of Gov't picking one industry over another.
Google understands. So do Facebook.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:59 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
They shouldn’t. Especially Facebook with people sharing links. If Australia agrees, Facebook should totally suspend the feature.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:27 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
As the Australian government continues to progress a law to ensure that big Tech pays their fair share to media companies, Facebook today ceased allowing news articles to be shared in Australia.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56099523

This is a great first step from the Morrison Government and hopefully one we will see in other parts of the world. Looking forward to seeing how Google may respond.

From the article:
Australia is not a big market for Facebook. And Facebook says news isn't a big driver of revenue for the company. So why does it care so much about this law?

This is far more about the principle. Other countries have been looking at what is happening in Australia. There's speculation that Canada, even the EU could follow Australia's lead - something Facebook wants to avoid.

Facebook does already pay for some news. It's entered into commercial deals with media companies in the UK, for example.

What Facebook wants to do, however, is call the shots.

Its executives do not want governments to step in, telling them they have to pay for news - and even setting the price.

Facebook, then, has decided to show that there are consequences for governments if they want to take muscular action against Big Tech.
Tech giants have abused their powers in relation to anti-trust, data laws/privacy, tax evasion and a host of other areas, and they are now trying to hold back a tide of reform from Governments across the world.

I fully support the Australian Government in this fight.

Facebook Australia: PM Scott Morrison 'will not be intimidated' by tech giant - BBC News

Facebook is gambling Australia can't live without it. Imagine if we prove them wrong - The Guardian

Facebook paid just £28m tax after record £1.6bn revenues in UK - The Guardian (2019)

Old 02-19-2021, 01:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Google understands. So do Facebook.
Im not even sure what you are trying to convey here.

Google and Facebook dont "understand", they both clearly disagree.

Your own article says this about add revenue and not the news itself.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:00 AM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
In a token response, Australia should ban any and all Facebook owners, executives and employees from any travels to or any transit through their country.

I doubt that many Facebook members want to travel to Australia, but it’s simply ONE stupid move to counter another stupid move.

Screw trying to be adults with liberals!! They’re not capable of rational thinking, so why bother.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:29 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Australia can't do it on their own to be effective, other countries need to join Australia in this.

BTW I don't use facebook for news.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:50 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Does US Facebook show Australian news like this?

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6233603126001
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies