Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 08:59 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,049,315 times

Advertisements

This illustrates why shutting down fossil fuels is such a danger. Texas is using coal; Biden wants to shut it down. And think about the increase in cost.

Wind and solar are a niche market.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:01 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,859,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Texas got hit with an absolutely unprecedented storm. They had no reason to expect something like this and they were not prepared. that is no surprise.

what is surprising and disgusting is the trend to politicize the disaster and blame Texans, or various division of government. It is not only callous, it is foolish.

Does no one have no compassion anymore? If Florida gets wiped out by a major hurricane or California gets hit with the long expected giant earthquake are we just going to look for ways to blame them instead of being compassionate and trying to help?

This would not have happened 10-15 years ago. Every imaginable form of aid would have been flowing in from every state. Instead we get politics and hate. I have even seen a number of posts saying things like Texans deserve to die. Most of those than posts expression compassion or discussing sending aid. What has this country become in such a short time?

Something awful.
The crisis in Texas happens for months every year up here in the northern states. We don't lose our power.

Texas allowed personal interest groups to pocket money rather than to invest in measures to prevent freezing of oil, gas, coal, and wind power utilities.

One of those is basking in sunny Mexico as we post here.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:01 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,738,833 times
Default Texas Disaster - is there anything they will not politicize?

Same question that I ask every time a fire breaks out in Cali or a hurricane strikes LA!

Clean your own house first!

Old 02-18-2021, 09:02 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,859,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It’s not about solving problems, it’s about blame. A more mature, concerned response would focus on problem solving and prevention.
Can't solve a problem in Texas from a sunny beach in Mexico, don't you think?

Old 02-18-2021, 09:06 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 6 days ago)

8,382 posts, read 5,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
This illustrates why shutting down fossil fuels is such a danger. Texas is using coal; Biden wants to shut it down. And think about the increase in cost.

Wind and solar are a niche market.
No, it really doesnt show that.

Im not for eliminating all fossil fuels but what happened here has nothing to do with green energy and everything to do with not winterizing anything.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:07 AM

8,540 posts, read 4,779,870 times
This is kind of what I’ve been saying. I know damn well the arctic air didn’t check politics before it came down here.

Unfortunately it’s a sign of the times. Everything seems to be fair game for getting politicized, and it seems there’s enough sheeple who just follow along on that path that there’s no incentive for it to stop.

Luckily, despite that, I am staying across the street from a staging area for utility workers/linemen. We also had about a 24 hour disruption in water flow which was corrected last night. So, despite it all, stuff is getting worked on and things are getting fixed.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Texas got hit with an absolutely unprecedented storm. They had no reason to expect something like this and they were not prepared. that is no surprise.

what is surprising and disgusting is the trend to politicize the disaster and blame Texans, or various division of government. It is not only callous, it is foolish.

Does no one have no compassion anymore? If Florida gets wiped out by a major hurricane or California gets hit with the long expected giant earthquake are we just going to look for ways to blame them instead of being compassionate and trying to help?

This would not have happened 10-15 years ago. Every imaginable form of aid would have been flowing in from every state. Instead we get politics and hate. I have even seen a number of posts saying things like Texans deserve to die. Most of those than posts expression compassion or discussing sending aid. What has this country become in such a short time?

Something awful.
There is aid. There are selfless individuals in Texas, feeding the hungry, trying to help.

My feed is filled with very liberal folks posting links to provide aid to those in need.

Funny you haven't seen that.

I blame Abbot for the politicvization. He chose at the height of the disaster to go on Hannity and instead of telling us what his constituents needed he chose to make it about wind turbines -- that represent a much smaller share of the problem.

He f'd up BIG time.

Unfortunately that's the climate right now.

(Have you seen all the folks traveling to Texas to help -- they could easily go on vacation with their family but they are flying into disaster zone to feed, house and help.

One guy spent the last 24 hours reaching out to seniors who may be stranded. They found one old guy who had not eaten in two days, had no heat...they went and got him and he got a meal and somewhere to stay.

so many great stories out there. Find what you need to get your through.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,347,025 times
Texas had a decade to prepare for this, from regulating the grid to winterizing. Don't give me this garbage about Oh it's Texasss it doeznt happen here lolz". The vast majority of this country isn't immune to Artic conditions; all it takes is for a dip in the jet stream and bam.

Glad I'm not moving there. No income tax and jobs aside.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:12 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,319,981 times
Quote:

Something awful.
I agree, and you can mainly thank the left for their 4 years of Hate On Trump as their platform, for getting us to this point.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:13 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
I don't think Abbott focussing on the politicization of the issue was a Republican trait. It is a political trait...but it is the environment we've created.

Everything comes down to red vs. blue.

Both sides do it.

How much have y'all given to help those in need in Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies