Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 02:55 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Dollar menu meal is still around.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...-for-1-or-less

Also, where are those produce sourced from, a carton of egg (dozen) from my family farm goes upwards of 12 dollars.
Even at $1 you can't feed a family for $5. That's one burger per person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 02:58 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Sounds great but if you went in the store and bought the smallest quantity of each of those items (Walmart sells 5lb bags at the price noted in your post) then you will be well over the $5.00 dollar mark I noted. Might skirt by at 10 bucks. You still have not cooked it nor bought containers to take it with you to work ect.

Logically you would say "Yes but for 1 buck I could make 4 meals" and I agree somewhat, I am assuming will cook daily. But whoppers at 2 for $5 each is also 4 meals and they cook it for you.

That last part of "They cook it for you" at the same price makes a heck of a difference. Also, you forgot you need to season that food, cooking oil, and seasonings or herbs will blow that budget out the water. Unless you like unseasoned boiled cabbage every day.
Yes, you buy more than what you eat in one meal when you cook. What you don't do is calculate the cost of all the rice as one meal.

How do you make 2 Whoppers in to 4 meals? Eat half a burger each meal?

As for everything else, it's all excuses. Losers will always have excuses. There's no end to it. The idea that you need to 'buy containers to take it with you to work,' or whatever, is an amazing example.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:02 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
What?!! Even in crazy-priced NJ, free-range organic eggs aren't $12. Not even half that - usually about $5.

Eggs are one food that seems to be fairly easy to get in rural PA. Even if a place doesn't have signs out, if you see chickens running around the yard, just stop and ask for them. $2.00-$3.00 a dozen.
It's the same here in my neck of the woods, i.e., between $2.50-5.00 for a dozen fresh eggs. With urban homesteading and backyard chickens becoming more accepted around here, there are plenty of local eggs to be had.

Farmers' markets accept SNAP benefits here, too. With produce trucks and farmers' markets proliferating in my area, it's never been easier to source affordable produce.

Some of the local food pantries have difficulties unloading the produce that they receive, too.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:04 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times
I'll have the word salad with a diet coke, please.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
In 1997, WHO said Obesity is a health risk and a global epidemic.

In 2020, it estimated 2 billion people world- wide are obese, thrilled the number in 1975.

Japan has the lowest incidence of obesity. It also has more than 3000 McDonalds.

The low obesity rate is attributed to several factors:

High food prices

Lower daily caloric intake

Physically active population

Metabo Law*

In recognition of the cost of health issues related to obesity, Japan in 2008 created law requiring everyone age 40-74 to sunmit to an annual waist measurement. Employers are charged with the responsibility of measuring employee waists annually. Each employer is given an annual goal of reduction. Failure to achieve the goal, means the business pays a higher tax to the Sick Fund. Those with waists greater than the reasonable measure are referred to nutritionists for counseling.

Huge emphasis is also placed on smoking cessation.

Old 02-18-2021, 03:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
A Big Mac Meal ( med fries and soda) has 1100 calories.

If this was all one consumed each day, one would lose weight, a lot of weight, over time.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:04 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Not sure of your age but when I was a kid -- it was expensive to eat fast food or at restaurants.

When my kids were at home, most families I know fed their kids fast food -- three, four, five times a week.

It was convenient.
That mindset started with TV dinners. My mother seldom cooked full meals, we usually had some frozen thing or picked something up at a takeout place. It was convenient. But it was not most nutritious. I was growing up when takeout was really taking off and plenty of parents bought into it. Then as teens we were always going out with our friends for pizza, fried dough, burgers, ice cream, etc..... How we didn't blow up is beyond me. Then I learned more about health and nutrition and came to better eating on my own, but I still like a good junk meal now and then. The junk food tasted better in the past, they used more real fat and less sugar.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:15 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I have no words....

https://youtu.be/c1ReioGusQA

Obesity is the number one reason for high healthcare costs. Expand that to poor lifestyle choices (obesity, bad diet, smoking, over consumption of alcohol, and no exercise) and that explains most of it.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:25 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
Obesity is the number one reason for high healthcare costs. Expand that to poor lifestyle choices (obesity, bad diet, smoking, over consumption of alcohol, and no exercise) and that explains most of it.
Great, thanks for sharing. Not sure why you quoted me.

Old 02-18-2021, 04:30 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,431,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Great, thanks for sharing. Not sure why you quoted me.
Probably because your post was the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies