Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 12:35 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I know, but they also have a lot less social isolation.

The level of drug abuse and homelessness is not seen in places like Shirgah.
Surely these rural villages like Shirgah are not utopias, what problems do exist there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 01:18 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Surely these rural villages like Shirgah are not utopias, what problems do exist there?
Lots of bad things, but different bad things than in the US.

Shirgah has problems my point is people have a strong community and no crime/drug abuse.

In US rural areas, people shoot each other for accidentally stepping on their lawn.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:22 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

Shirgah has problems my point is people have a strong community and no crime/drug abuse.

In US rural areas, people shoot each other for accidentally stepping on their lawn.
You’ve linked one story about such an instance. Got more, or are you just trolling?

Old 02-20-2021, 01:23 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:

You’ve linked one story about such an instance. Got more, or are you just trolling?

Fact is, even the story you linked wasn’t about someone “accidentally” stepping on a lawn.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Fact is, even the story you linked wasn’t about someone “accidentally” stepping on a lawn.

It's part of their culture, they think trespassing is a trigger for 'self-defense':

https://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-...ur-ground.aspx

They also have the most school shootings:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...521-story.html

Old 02-20-2021, 01:41 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,806,221 times
It's rural when you are trick or treating in your costume by car and your parents drive at least 10 miles to hit all your friends houses.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:43 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Social Darwinism is part of American culture, cities are no exception. Outside of "woke" college liberal types, urban Democrats are often pretty content to sh** on homeless people, criminals, people of other races, etc. Source: I live there.

What many rural Americans have is the ideal of living with no government whatsoever... pure fantasy. Take them to areas in other countries with effectively no government presence, they'd beg to go back home.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:12 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:

Could you give examples of the types of problems in the villages?

If you are going to compare and contrast it is only fair to provide such information.

Old 02-20-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Could you give examples of the types of problems in the villages?

If you are going to compare and contrast it is only fair to provide such information.
Sure, there are no articles I can find but I can list them:

The houses are made from concrete which isn't stable, the road leading to the village was destroyed by a mudslide, their in a mountain pass so the homes are squeezed together on a dirt road. Impossible to have running faucets, snow storms are hell.

There is no medicine or CVS nearby so you have to take trips to a nearby city.

But about 4,000 people live there, most related, and the people make do and are pretty happy.

Zero crime, absolutely none. Suicide is unheard of, everyone lives close together.

There is great nature and hunting year round.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:26 PM

19,797 posts, read 9,336,681 times
In my county of about 30,000 people, there are about 12-15 food banks and at least a few of them are on the honor system -- meaning people can take as much as what they want when they want, and some are open 24/7 (or at least they were in December when I read the article). People are so generous here that just before Christmas, the head of the community foundation that oversees most of the charities here asked that people do not donate to the food banks because they were overloaded, but that people donate to the local United Way instead because it had not yet met its goal. After he posted, the local United Way exceeded its yearly goal by 50%.

Oh, and btw, 97.4% of the residents in my zip code (1,326 population) have at least a high school education, and 61.4% have at least a bachelors degree.

People who generalize rural areas as being "all the same" are simply clueless, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies