Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:23 AM

17,004 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

ten bucks an hour over say four years would likely sail through.

Neither side will give in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:24 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I’m pretty sure the proposal does phase it in over time.
I sure one or more of them did, I've seen lots of proposals on the topic.

That would be a key feature. Gives employers extra time to automate and line up illegal subcontractor crews and start firing or forcing out the less able workers.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All good points.

Target also began raising wages, up to 12 or so now....and getting rid of less effective workers and going with less staff.

$15/hour and you better start thinking really really hard about what the heck you're going to do with the million or so bottom tier poor workers in the US that will become virtually unemployable.

Not to mention, many companies already outsource to subcontractors like Walmarts cleaning crews. Why do that? Well plausible deniability if the crew of illegals ever get caught.

Why should I hire an American worker for $15 when I can get an illegal worker for $12 and pay them cash on the side?

6 million illegals (labor supply) vs. labor demand and what happens to wages? This is econ 101.
Target starts at $15/hr in Phoenix, where the AZ minimum wage is $12/hr

Old 02-19-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
All good points.

Target also began raising wages, up to 12 or so now....and getting rid of less effective workers and going with less staff.

$15/hour and you better start thinking really really hard about what the heck you're going to do with the million or so bottom tier poor workers in the US that will become virtually unemployable.

Not to mention, many companies already outsource to subcontractors like Walmarts cleaning crews. Why do that? Well plausible deniability if the crew of illegals ever get caught.

Why should I hire an American worker for $15 when I can get an illegal worker for $12 and pay them cash on the side?

6 million illegals (labor supply) vs. labor demand and what happens to wages? This is econ 101.
2 other factors here in play.

1) At 15 bucks you are going to get more higher qualified workers interested in the low tier PT jobs. IE the college educated mom with a newborn might think about it at 15 but not 10. Who would YOU hire? College educated mom or scruffy Sam?
2) At 15 bucks an hour, expectations rise with the quality of applicants.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

Yeah, unfortunately the hordes of innumerates marching around big cities demanding $15 lack the diversity to know just how much that is in some parts of the country.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:27 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
The proposal more than doubles the min. wage and makes no provision for cost of living differentials.

Maybe something a little less drastic and phased in over time?

You wouldn't even get all the D's to go along with this.

Between this and gun control, it's almost like you don't want to have the Senate and are determined to repeat 2010.

**Yay, we got the Senate what should we do first? I know, let's nuke the re-election chances of some of our freshman Senators from rural states! Oh, capital idea!**

P.S. we're not Trump is no longer a viable platform, the D's have some huge policy problems with middle America.
It's only drastic in the south and flyover country.

In AZ, it would only be a 23% increase over current minimum

Old 02-19-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Target starts at $15/hr in Phoenix, where the AZ minimum wage is $12/hr
Ah cool, I missed that they made the last step up from 11 to 13 to 15. That's what I get from going off memory.

I know this because one of my kids used to work there PT. They noted how the store started firing employees for stuff they let slide before like calling out on short notice, showing up late etc.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's only drastic in the south and flyover country.

In AZ, it would only be a 23% increase over current minimum
It's also drastic in the rural parts of some states vs. the major metros.

But regardless, quick question but rounded off to the nearest 10 just how many Senators do those fly over areas and southern states have?

This was exactly the point I was making about how it's almost like you're intentionally trying to lose the Senate in 2022.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:44 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post

The majority of states already have higher minimum wages than this and it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular political party. Example South Dakota's minimum wage is $9.45 and nearby Wisconsin's and Iowa's are $7.25. Pays to be a high school student in South Dakota.

Minimum wages really only help high school students. No 25 year old is going to work for anything close to that I would hope unless they have a mental handicap of some sort. By raising the minimum wage to $15 they'd be effectively acknowledging we have much higher inflation rates than the "officlal numbers" suggest ... just because I can still buy a gallon of milk for cheap doesn't mean there hasn't been inflation.

I'd be fine with $10 right now scaling to $15 in 10 years ... the types of businesses that end up closing as a result of a high minimum wage are those mom and pop sandwich shops (that I tend to not frequent anyways because they tend to overcharge as it's the only way they can survive) and other small niche businesses you'd think liberals would want to support.. On the other hand large corporations like McDonalds and Wal-mart can survive these wage increases and many of them already have raised the wages on their own.

Basically you kill small business with high minimum wages. Also they aren't going to pay a high school student $15/hour to bag your groceries so be prepared to bag them yourself or have the cashier do it which means longer lines.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The majority of states already have higher minimum wages than this and it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular political party. Example South Dakota's minimum wage is $9.45 and nearby Wisconsin's and Iowa's are $7.25. Pays to be a high school student in South Dakota.

Minimum wages really only help high school students. No 25 year old is going to work for anything close to that I would hope unless they have a mental handicap of some sort. By raising the minimum wage to $15 they'd be effectively acknowledging we have much higher inflation rates than the "officlal numbers" suggest ... just because I can still buy a gallon of milk for cheap doesn't mean there hasn't been inflation.

I'd be fine with $10 right now scaling to $15 in 10 years (in 10 years a gallon of milk will be $30 assuming the currency survives the fiscal mismanagement of the politicians and bankers)
Actually they help more than that depending upon circumstances.

Crap jobs paid 9.50 here in NJ until they raised it to 10 bucks in 2019 and up and up. Lots of non high schoolers working these crap jobs. I know I know, just some losers who should just die. 25% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less. Age discrimination is very real. I know people making 12 bucks an hour with real degrees. Loser morons thought they should be allowed to age over 50. Idiots.

So far these jobs still go begging at $12. There will come a point on the journey to $15 that it does have a greater effect. Both sides like to think in black and white terms when in fact there are gray areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies