Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 07:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Actually they help more than that depending upon circumstances.

Crap jobs paid 9.50 here in NJ until they raised it to 10 bucks in 2019 and up and up. Lots of non high schoolers working these crap jobs. I know I know, just some losers who should just die. 25% of the population has an IQ of 90 or less. Age discrimination is very real. I know people making 12 bucks an hour with real degrees. Loser morons thought they should be allowed to age over 50. Idiots.

So far these jobs still go begging at $12. There will come a point on the journey to $15 that it does have a greater effect. Both sides like to think in black and white terms when in fact there are gray areas.
I would simply not take the job that pays that low a wage.. if everyone did this these businesses would be forced to raise their wage or go under. If the $15/hour minimum wages passes I don't particularly care either way. It's not a strong issue for me either way. I do think a lot of these people on the bottom are underpaid for their labor. I think I was underpaid for my labor. All increasing wages for everyone does though is fuels inflation as everyone spends up to their income level. They'll just drive up real estate costs by outbidding one another when houses come up for sale now that they have more disposable income. I'm not convinced it will help as much as people think. I think there's some jobs where you don't need to be making that much money... example working in a gas station (especially the graveyard shift) or in one of those niche mom and pop stores that tends to not get a lot of business where your work load isn't particularly high.

$15/hour in some rural town in flyover country will just cause them to lay off employees or automate. When it costs $450/month to rent in some of these places in flyover country you don't really do the local area any favors with such a high minimum wage. Much like the real estate market, how high a wage you need is often driven by location, location, location. The more I think about the more I think it should be left up to the states. Don't want to make that wage? Don't take the job. Tell others to not take the job. Think about some gas station off a lessor traveled country road that doesn't get a lot of business. Are they going to handle that wage or just shut their doors? Why does someone standing around half the day in nowhere, Iowa need $15/hour? No offense, but New Jersey is a lot different from much of flyover country and the deep south where costs of living are lower. New Jersey ranks in the top 10 with a COL index of 125.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...index-by-state

Last edited by sholomar; 02-19-2021 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
The majority of states already have higher minimum wages than this and it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular political party. Example South Dakota's minimum wage is $9.45 and nearby Wisconsin's and Iowa's are $7.25. Pays to be a high school student in South Dakota.

Minimum wages really only help high school students. No 25 year old is going to work for anything close to that I would hope unless they have a mental handicap of some sort. By raising the minimum wage to $15 they'd be effectively acknowledging we have much higher inflation rates than the "officlal numbers" suggest ... just because I can still buy a gallon of milk for cheap doesn't mean there hasn't been inflation.

I'd be fine with $10 right now scaling to $15 in 10 years ... the types of businesses that end up closing as a result of a high minimum wage are those mom and pop sandwich shops (that I tend to not frequent anyways because they tend to overcharge as it's the only way they can survive) and other small niche businesses you'd think liberals would want to support.. On the other hand large corporations like McDonalds and Wal-mart can survive these wage increases and many of them already have raised the wages on their own.

Basically you kill small business with high minimum wages. Also they aren't going to pay a high school student $15/hour to bag your groceries so be prepared to bag them yourself or have the cashier do it which means longer lines.
The median minimum wage worker is almost 30

Old 02-19-2021, 08:07 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Blame that on the 50% R Senate
And voters CHOSE those senators. Clearly, half the voters do not want what the left is peddling at this time. It’s ridiculous that while the surviving businesses are struggling to get back on their feet, that liberals think it’s a smart idea to land another punch by increasing their expenses (and forcing more into bankruptcy).

Let’s revisit a modest increase in about a year, and have it on a sliding scale depending on COLA.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And voters CHOSE those senators. Clearly, half the voters do not want what the left is peddling at this time. It’s ridiculous that while the surviving businesses are struggling to get back on their feet, that liberals think it’s a smart idea to land another punch by increasing their expenses (and forcing more into bankruptcy).

Let’s revisit a modest increase in about a year, and have it on a sliding scale depending on COLA.
Half the voters are divided by the culture war and focus on that at the peril of their own economic interests. If more people focused on what would actually make their lives better, Rs wouldn't stand a chance in any elections

Old 02-19-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
The median minimum wage worker is almost 30
And 98% of 30-year-olds earn more than the minimum wage. The 2% stuck at the bottom made the decision not to get any job training after high school. But at age 30, with another 35 years of work ahead of them, they need to accept the Pell Grant that taxpayers fund and enroll in a night program of some sort. Their choice.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Half the voters are divided by the culture war and focus on that at the peril of their own economic interests. If more people focused on what would actually make their lives better, Rs wouldn't stand a chance in any elections
That’s what you think, because you’re a leftist. Raising compensation costs on businesses that have not been allowed to operate at capacity for a full year just will drive more into bankruptcy - and make jobs more scarce.

What makes lives better is supporting the job-creators.

Old 02-19-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That’s what you think, because you’re a leftist. Raising compensation costs on businesses that have not been allowed to operate at capacity for a full year just will drive more into bankruptcy - and make jobs more scarce.

What makes lives better is supporting the job-creators.
Wrong, because job creators don't give a crap about their workers. They consider them replaceable tools rather than human beings

Old 02-19-2021, 09:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
min wage should be set locally, or by the states..... NOT FEDERALLY

sorry but one size does not fit all...why can the liberals not see that, do the just refuse to use their brains

Old 02-19-2021, 12:07 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Why dont they just sneak it in on the 'back page' of another bill? From what I understand, this is a common tactic to get things passed that wouldnt otherwise pass on their own.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Wrong, because job creators don't give a crap about their workers. They consider them replaceable tools rather than human beings
You say that because you hate even moderately successful people who had the ability and discipline to start a small business. We already know that liberals have contempt for “you didn’t build that!” business owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies