Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 09:18 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Lots of people have TP, generators, extra water, propane heaters, etc. That doesn't make you a "Prepper". Real preppers have underground bunkers, an arsenal of weapons, months or years of food supplies, etc. Having enough stuff to get through a week or so of inconvenience is called common sense. Only Democrats mock common sense because its a completely alien concept to them.
Well, the leftist definition of common sense is to ban everything so there is that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 09:22 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I do it for scarcity. I served on a state level pandemic board, and I lived on an island 2500 miles from the closest land mass.

With a severe pandemic, or hurricane, things could get dicey quickly. I'm a prepare for the worst and hope for the best type of person.

Learning about JIT inventories and such really opened my eyes. I forget the numbers, but the state warehouses only had 3? 7? days worth of supplies, also all our oil was shipped in too.

In situations like that, I truly feel, the longer you can stay away from the gen pop the safer you are.
I grew up in an environment that included blizzards and weeks without power on a far too often basis. That readiness has carried over to me even living in a large urban environment by the beach. I know I am not looking for ammo right now cause I got plenty

We had that big power outage and I was powering up all my stuff and the neighbors freezers too.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:36 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
There is a difference between being prepared and being a prepper. I have no problem if people want to be self sufficient, I get that. But the rush on guns and ammo last spring? Exactly how many rounds were fired during all this carnage that was predicted? How much of all that additional arsenal was actually needed?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:47 AM

3,269 posts, read 1,748,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Don't know. Do you do it thinking about possible scenarios of scarcity or just for fun? Most people don't even think of it. Also, they don't have room. A person in a small apartment who stores a bunch of stuff would probably seem obsessive but you get to spread out so it doesn't seem like a lot. Maybe for you it's just a lifestyle of practicality. But the tons of ammo, some would say that pushes you over the edge.
Anyone can find room for extra food of other items if they try. Its relatively easy to store extra food in plastic totes which fit under furniture. Back when I was single I had six weeks of canned goods stored in my apartment. Granted I wouldn't want to eat nothing but canned goods for six weeks but I'd still be alive. Last year I bought several thousand rounds in various calibers. Why?
Because marksmanship is a perishable skill. I'm primarily a hunter and recreational target shooter and like to keep my skills up.

Extra food comes in handy in case of unemployment, weather civil unrest (or pandemic induced lockdowns) and due th various craziness there's an ammo shortage that's worse than the Obama panic. As a result I've scaled back my hobby until this current nonsense has passed.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:48 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
There is a difference between being prepared and being a prepper. I have no problem if people want to be self sufficient, I get that. But the rush on guns and ammo last spring? Exactly how many rounds were fired during all this carnage that was predicted? How much of all that additional arsenal was actually needed?
We just ordered a lot last year only because, 1) the movers wouldn't pack our existing ammo, 2) it was a good deal at the time, 3) we weren't sure how bad the pandemic would get, 4) we have enough money to buy a lot at once, like that convenience that we don't have to worry about it for a few years.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
TP, ammo, what difference does it make?

Old 02-21-2021, 10:08 AM

46,960 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
One is considerably more useful than the other?

I imagine a few Texans would have been happier with a snow shovel than a firearm, but that's just me.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:16 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
To some apparently it is the difference between preparedness and prepper. I just wish more people would spend the time to be prepared for unexpected events like this Texas freeze so they and their kids and pets don't have to suffer feeling helpless through it.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:24 AM

779 posts, read 424,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We just ordered a lot last year only because, 1) the movers wouldn't pack our existing ammo, 2) it was a good deal at the time, 3) we weren't sure how bad the pandemic would get, 4) we have enough money to buy a lot at once, like that convenience that we don't have to worry about it for a few years.

This is spot on.

Going to the range is one of my main hobbies. I wish to continue doing so even during periods when ammo is incredibly expensive (when you can even find it). So while people are scrambling to pay $1+/rd I can continue shooting my $0.20-0.35/rd ammo until things hopefully swing back to more reasonable prices. Anyone who has been into shooting sports for any length of time has been through these panic events multiple times. It takes months if not years for prices to come back down after situations like this.

The people they show on TV shows like Doomsday Preppers are on there because they make for good TV. Most of us aren't holed up in a shipping container bunker daydreaming about playing Rambo and mowing down roaming gangs of thugs.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:39 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
How not to prep - this story is a fun read: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...hwamQTplzN7zis

It starts off:
Quote:
so my eldest brother, who is a moron, has been playing soldier with his moron friends in the deserts of texas for the last year preparing for the collapse of civilization if biden won (lol). they were burying food and ammo stashes out in the desert, running drills, crazy stuff
Quote:
their plan for cooking and heating during an extended power outage was natural gas, but like a lot of homes their gas service is out. the food in their freezer and fridge is already toast due to the power outrages, so they're down to canned stuff, but there's a catch. they can get into the pull top cans just fine, but the ones that require an opener? their only can opener is electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies