Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2021, 12:38 PM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Lots of people have TP, generators, extra water, propane heaters, etc. That doesn't make you a "Prepper". Real preppers have underground bunkers, an arsenal of weapons, months or years of food supplies, etc. Having enough stuff to get through a week or so of inconvenience is called common sense. Only Democrats mock common sense because its a completely alien concept to them.

With statements like that, its pretty clear who is alienated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 12:47 PM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
I suppose if you live in TX, which appears to do little to protect their citizens from weather events or disasters, one would have to take that into consideration.

I've lived in the same house for over 20 years and only had a power outage twice for mere hours. Never had a water problem or difficulty getting toilet paper or food or fuel. If I did, I'd have a backup generator (or solar) and lay in a little more water and supplies.

Funny thing is that TX would be a prime locale for solar and federal subsidies make it almost cost effective. Owning a gun or two is not out of the question and probably a good idea, but that can quickly spiral out-of-control. I know people with 10s of thousands in weaponry. for some it is almost an obsession and even hinges on the irrational. People bought guns when Obama got elected, when Trump got elected and again with Biden getting elected. Guess what? A year from now it will still be quite easy to obtain firearms. Legally or illegally.

Last edited by shaker281; 02-19-2021 at 01:04 PM..

Old 02-19-2021, 12:51 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
All you need to have to be a "prepper" is a gun and a generator?

Well, hell, I'm a prepper and didn't even know it!

Old 02-19-2021, 12:52 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Being prepared for an event like a natural disaster, and being prepared for the end of the world and anarchy (i.e. prepper) are two different things.
Anarchy is what happens when a natural disaster isn't managed (Katrina) among other things.

I saw it start to fall apart after two weeks of power outage from an ice storm. Thugs from the city were roaming the burbs stealing generators right out of the yards for the black market. Police couldn't get to some areas and things were really dicey. Soccer dads were standing guard with guns watching their generators. wth.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:59 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They had the TP and supplies that ran out when Covid hit, they have the generators and propane heaters to ride out the great Texas winter storm. Now a lot of people who have never owned guns are running out to buy them, and ammo is scarce. Preppers were already set with that. Are they still paranoid crazies or what?
You don’t need a government, you are already paying for everything yourself. Have you shot anyone?
Glad I don’t live near you

Old 02-19-2021, 01:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I suppose if you live in TX, which appears to do little to protect their citizens from weather events or disasters, one would have to take that into consideration.

I've lived in the same house for over 20 years and only had a power outage twice for mere hours. Never had a water problem or difficulty getting toilet paper or food or fuel. If I did, I'd have a backup generator (or solar) and lay in a little more water and supplies.

Funny thing is that TX would be a prime locale for solar and federal subsidies make it almost cost effective. Owning a gun or two is not out of the question and probably a good idea, but that can quickly spiral out-of-control. I know people with 10s of thousands in weaponry. for some it is almost an obsession and even hinges on the irrational. People bought guns when Obama got elected, when trump got elected and again with Biden getting elected. guess what? A year from now it will still be quite easy to obtain firearms. Legally or illegally.
TX People are too used to their climate and conveniences. Northern states frequently have power outages due to winter storms. It's probably unlikely that Texas will see another winter storm such as this. But this event gives us a glimpse to what could happen if a major climate change were to take place.

In the northeast, we've had weeks where the temperature didn't hit above 20F and nightime temps were in the teens even below sometimes. It's likely if the weather stayed cold in TX for 2 weeks that hundreds of people will die from the cold.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:07 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Eagle Scouts are prepared.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
So glad I kept my stash of water, TP and my sleeping bag now after this situation happened.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtheCat View Post
some of them, yes

Sorry to rain on your "I Told you so" parade, but having TP, generators, freeze dried food, canned food, water stocked up isn't THAT major a deal. We "prep" for bad winter storms up here all the time. But when some "preppers" are "prepping" for the zombie apocalypse, nuclear annihilation, while purchasing a million dollar old missile silo to live underground for 10 years, yeah some of you "preppers" have lost the plot
I think you need to turn off the cable TV. 99.99% of real life preppers are not seeking out abandoned missile silos.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:18 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
IDK, billionaires are the biggest "preppers" there are. What do they know? If people wonder what they do with all the money they couldn't spend in a lifetime, here's a clue.

https://www.businessinsider.com/map-...reppers-2017-6

New Zealand is the favorite spot of Silicon Valley billionaires due to location and fresh water availability.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...sday-preppers/
Uber rich liberals really are the ultimate preppers. Why does no one call them doomsday crazies? Why not call them out if they are calling out as paranoid a plumber in Idaho for having a prep stash in his basement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies