Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 08:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,742,671 times

Advertisements

Can stock up on thousands of dollars worth of food, guns, ammo, etc... But without potable water (which is always the first to go in a catastrophe or attack) you are done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 08:58 AM

1,134 posts, read 402,548 times
Prepping for apocalyptic government meltdown is one thing, but being prepared for a week or two without power/water is another. And the later is very relevant to people in certain parts of the country.

If the power goes out the water pressure will soon follow in many areas as pumping stations go offline. And it's unlikely many stores will be able to open their doors to sell what you might need.

I always keep about 30-40 gallons of water on hand, not only for drinking but for filling the toilet tank when needed. If you need to shelter in place you'll surely want to flush that toilet once in a while if it's the only place you can 'go'.

Plenty of extra batteries, canned foods, a camping-style propane or butane stove for boiling water, warm clothing and a case of pocket-warmers can get you through reasonably well for a while. And hopefully the power will be restored before long.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:59 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,160,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've spent a LOT of time solo in back country. I'm more prepped for a disaster than most. I still find preppers who hoard guns/ammo funny. Guns don't help when you're freezing or starving. Prepping makes a ton of sense. Including firearms in that prep (for anything but hunting) is something I still roll my eyes at.

The number of people I see who own guns/ammo, but not a portable water filter, and don't know how to start a fire on their own is mind blowing.
The logic is that in a true SHTF situation their guns will allow them to take what they need.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:03 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,742,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRacer View Post
Prepping for apocalyptic government meltdown is one thing, but being prepared for a week or two without power/water is another. And the later is very relevant to people in certain parts of the country.

If the power goes out the water pressure will soon follow in many areas as pumping stations go offline. And it's unlikely many stores will be able to open their doors to sell what you might need.

I always keep about 30-40 gallons of water on hand, not only for drinking but for filling the toilet tank when needed. If you need to shelter in place you'll surely want to flush that toilet once in a while if it's the only place you can 'go'.

Plenty of extra batteries, canned foods, a camping-style propane or butane stove for boiling water, warm clothing and a case of pocket-warmers can get you through reasonably well for a while. And hopefully the power will be restored before long.
Yes, cases of bottled drinking water is probably the best "stock up item." They say beyond two years, it is best to not to drink it though.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:08 AM

1,134 posts, read 402,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes, cases of bottled drinking water is probably the best "stock up item." They say beyond two years, it is best to not to drink it though.
That's true, you have to rotate it. I have a good amount that I rotate regularly in addition to some not as much. That additional water would be used for flushing or washing something. The water heater is another source you can tap into if needed.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:13 AM

19,478 posts, read 12,109,770 times
Quote:
I've spent a LOT of time solo in back country. I'm more prepped for a disaster than most. I still find preppers who hoard guns/ammo funny. Guns don't help when you're freezing or starving. Prepping makes a ton of sense. Including firearms in that prep (for anything but hunting) is something I still roll my eyes at.

The number of people I see who own guns/ammo, but not a portable water filter, and don't know how to start a fire on their own is mind blowing.
See post #35. After a while the stealing and looting starts. Staying safe through a long term disaster isn't like camping.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:16 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,904,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
See post #35. After a while the stealing and looting starts. Staying safe through a long term disaster isn't like camping.
I understand the logic. People give into paranoia when prepping and prep for the unlikely event we devolve into a mad max style world, when in reality they will struggle to find water the second day in. Again - I roll my eyes at people who hoard guns. They tend to be not very well informed about survival, and hoard guns as a safety blanket for themselves. Not because having guns will be useful in that disaster.

Myself, with my 25 lb bug out bag (without a gun, WITH food/shelter/water filter/clothes to get down to 0 degrees) will survive longer than the guy bunkering in place with an arsenal.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:29 AM

22,626 posts, read 24,472,602 times
Mad-Max is closing-in, actually breaking-out in many parts of the USA...........Preppers
had it right.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,904,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Mad-Max is closing-in, actually breaking-out in many parts of the USA...........Preppers
had it right.
Actually it's the opposite. We had major crises in 2020, no one needed guns. Outside of a few news sources blowing things out of proportion, things were calm. I saw more people banding together to help each other through things in 2020 than I saw rioting/looting. Supply chains corrected themselves, people helped people in need. 2020 showed us that stockpiling for a mad max type world is completely unnecessary in the US.

From a prepping standpoint, 2020 showed us to have 2 weeks of food/water, and be able to weather the cold for a week or two. Beyond that, it's unnecessary

Old 02-20-2021, 09:52 AM

19,478 posts, read 12,109,770 times
Quote:
Actually it's the opposite. We had major crises in 2020, no one needed guns. Outside of a few news sources blowing things out of proportion, things were calm. I saw more people banding together to help each other through things in 2020 than I saw rioting/looting. Supply chains corrected themselves, people helped people in need. 2020 showed us that stockpiling for a mad max type world is completely unnecessary in the US.

From a prepping standpoint, 2020 showed us to have 2 weeks of food/water, and be able to weather the cold for a week or two. Beyond that, it's unnecessary
This is sadly incorrect. If you think things cannot get worse than 2020 then you are being willfully ignorant. I also notice you are ignoring Katrina, the LA riots, and the fact that when police are absent criminals are particularly emboldened. Of course good people will help their neighbors and others, that isn't the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies