Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And the worst states for education are overall Republican including AL, MS, WV, Florida just to name a few, figures you would nit pick cities with significant low income populations.
I said school districts. There are no state school districts. Looking at states is taking a very broad view of things. You must not be from a large metro area, where you can take your kids out a lousy school district and put them into an excellent one by moving across the street.

Regardless, schools are dropping SAT/ACT requirements, and there are school districts in left-wing areas teaching some bizarre social-justice sort of mathematics, as has been covered in this website in other threads. Carrying on about Betsy DeVos and how Republicans don't believe in science doesn't make that any less true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:24 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Wow. Archie Bunker would be proud.
You should not be.
Are you saying that that is not the reason why the medical boards have been made pass/fail? If it isn't then what's the reason?

Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
The educational-system as it is has "wounded" American education.

Most students are mediocre and do not really do well with all the boring, unnecessary stuff thrown at them in grades K-12............but you have to find something to fill that 8 hours, right!?!?!?!?

Hitting the important, core-areas of education fills about 25% of the school day....then you have to have other "stuff" to keep the babysitting going.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:28 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Are you saying that that is not the reason why the medical boards have been made pass/fail? If it isn't then what's the reason?
It's just the typical leftist knee jerk reaction, screaming "racist" when someone points out truth they don't want to hear.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Wow. Archie Bunker would be proud.
You should not be.
Archie was no fool. He did insist on Jewish doctors and lawyers.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:36 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Looking at states is taking a very broad view of things. You must not be from a large metro area, where you can take your kids out a lousy school district and put them into an excellent one by moving across the street.

Regardless, schools are dropping SAT/ACT requirements, and there are school districts in left-wing areas teaching some bizarre social-justice sort of mathematics, as has been covered in this website in other threads. Carrying on about Betsy DeVos and how Republicans don't believe in science doesn't make that any less true.
You need to take a broad view because anyone can cherry pick select examples to prove a point would you rather I chose just major cities in those red states or would the retort be "well they have Democratic Mayors"?

I don't agree with dropping the SAT/ACT but that is a national trend not district specific. The current math concept controversy is just that a concept of teaching, the CD posting on it was listed as a license renewal course for an Oregon District, just that a concept of which their are many. Math education is changing because the old my way or the highway approach does not work and less and less are grasping it.

DeVos is a hack with no expierience in Public Education even as a parent, she has ownership in several private Christian Schools and firmly believes in vouchers, so yes she's a hack....

I work for a school district (none teaching role) over the years I have seen Conservatives push to remove books they don't approve of, try to stop lessons in schools that go against their faith, try to introduce Creationism/Intelligent Design into the curriculum, anti-vax. So yes is does always seem to be Republicans who are trying to push against any free thinking because heaven forbid a child is given an opposing view and might learn to think for themselves.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:48 AM

4,507 posts, read 1,862,401 times
Every single public school teacher I know is a militant leftist. In fact all (approximately 10) of them are the most militant leftists that I personally know who are under the age of 65. Full blown woke, BLM supporters, Bernie supporters, etc.

Thank god I don’t have children.

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
We need to have different educational expectations for the different races. It is clear from decades of data that the different races are not capable of attaining the same educational standards. People need to accept what the facts are telling them, even if they don’t like it.

There is no other solution to this.

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I AGREE!!!!

I never gave a damn about Robert Frost and poetry. I got a D in English. As and Bs in the sciences, math across the board. Some kids are not cut out for certain things. Some kids need to go in another direction and instead of fighting stupid wars all over the word wasting trillions we need teens in wood shop and automotive and other trades.
The auto trade is dying unless you talk repair shops and service stations (not gas stations but say oil changes and tire rotations.) Wood shop, I don't know how relevant that is since we can teach on YouTube or watch episodes of This Old House still.

I do wish we had less of an emphasis on benchmarking and standardized tests. All they really did was test the teacher to a set curriculum and overstress students. I often didn't care about subjects in school because I would do great on tests due to my ability to recall. I know many that had issues with math problems we did say 20 times and I got them in say 5. Repetition didn't challenge me. That said I was a bad student because of my gift, I wasn't motivated.

Old 02-20-2021, 09:59 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Every single public school teacher I know is a militant leftist. In fact all (approximately 10) of them are the most militant leftists that I personally know who are under the age of 65. Full blown woke, BLM supporters, Bernie supporters, etc.

Thank god I don’t have children.
Not surprising...

English teachers:
97 Democrats for every 3 Republicans

Math and Science teachers:
87 Democrats for every 13 Republicans

Source in this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies