Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2021, 01:30 PM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times

Advertisements

After losing power Tuesday, Gates left his home via his private jet Wednesday night and traveled to Orlando, Fla., sparking outrage among many who believe the freshman lawmaker should have remained in his district.

We understand Family and concerns and safety..... but as a Congressman.... he still should have stayed home and manned the fort. He owns many Apt buildings also. Surely, he had issues there too.

This Houston Chronicle News feed only gave me ONE FREE LOOK.
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/nei...r-15963326.php

MSN also used it from another link on its Search Engine homepage. NO PAYWALL.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an...ad+the+Article

This still is getting really Political when Republican Reps skip town then realize.....opsie daisy. I better return. I wonder if they had a dog to leave behind too?

From link.
- Gates acknowledged the frustration of his critics, but stated that the decision to leave Texas was based on the needs of his family. His pipes burst, he said, and 30 percent of his home was flooded, leaving his sick wife and special needs daughter at risk.

- "My wife is still recovering from an illness she has been battling for two weeks, and the room of my adult daughter, who is mentally handicapped and still lives with us, flooded," Gates said.

- By Wednesday morning, Gates added, mold had set in. He had planned to stay with one of his daughters, but she, too, lost power. With no other options, Gates said, he and his family flew to Florida.

Really, Texas sounds lovely if you get mold so fast in such cold weather in Texas even ..... I can't help think it was there all along? Guess MARRIED WITH CHILDREN is always a excuse to LEAVE INSTEAD OF SEND THE FAMILY......

**** SURELY THERE IS SOME OTHER SAFE-HAVEN IN THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS???? How poorly are these homes built? Then I read pipes can be put in the attic ( like the first place to get cold..... and not under the slab where they would be protected cause of if a problem arise you cannot get to through cement. Still most slabs crack cause they use a too-thin-a-slab anyway....

I ALSO READ: last Sept that Rep Gates owning may rentals..... EVICTED 100 Tenants from his buildings......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
Why should have he remained in his district? There wasn't anything he personally could have done to get the power back on. Anyone that had access to a private jet would have done the same thing. This guy just happens to be a REPUBLICAN politician. There is a stark contrast between the power being out in Texas versus when it was out in California last year. There was no backlash against their DEMOCRAT Governor or DEMOCRAT Representatives because they are all Democrats who get special passes by the media. How is this any different?
Remember all that when you'all want to create threads on even Biden this weekend taking a day off.....yet did sign Disaster papers which is all he can do right now also..... Even Right media going after Biden's dog as not looking like a Presidential dog. Have you not read the topics of many of these threads even ones you make? Does not take much to demonize a Dem.

As bad as the threads created here and namecalling etc. The Point is.....
- he could have made a appearance at some AID location or Shelter for some in his district.
- visited even a supermarket and reassured residents he and others are working on getting supplies now that weather broke a bit.
- and again, could have sent his wife and kid to Orlando and kept in touch at home manning the fort.
- he could have gone to ANOTHER LOCATION IN THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS TOO. What about Corpus Christie? Or farther West Texas???

There was plenty backlashes on Right news media..... Even Cruz last December called the Dem Mayor of Austin Texas a hypocrite for flying off the Cabu while telling his locals at home to stay indoors AT HOME because of the Pandemic ..... CRUZ claimed he was NOT DO?ING HIS JOB THEN.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
When an event occurs, I don't go looking for others to help me. I'm not a victim. If my representative was "making an appearance" at the local grocery store. it would make me respect him or her less as there isn't anything he or she could do and I don't like all that cutesy crap they do. It would be nothing more than optics, but I guess if that makes you "feel" better.........

It took President Biden six days to sign that declaration relief. Why? I remember President Trump doing that much, much quicker when we had winter storms under him.

A pandemic is different than an a winter storm. No one was told to stay home because of the weather. The Mayor of Austin told everybody to stay home due to a virus and THEN he vacationed in Mexico. Those are two VERY different things.

I also don't create threads when President Biden takes the day off. I don't care what Presidents do in their off hours. I do remember liberals complaining when President Trump went golfing. Yet, they had nothing to say when President Obama was golfing and gave a speech when James Foley was beheaded by ISIS, and then went back to playing Golf. It's very hypocritical.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ng-fundraising
Biden approved the disaster declaration on the 14th the same day the texas gov asked for it. Don’t let facts get in your way though

Old 02-20-2021, 05:32 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,817,521 times
Quote:
When an event occurs, I don't go looking for others to help me. I'm not a victim. If my representative was "making an appearance" at the local grocery store. it would make me respect him or her less as there isn't anything he or she could do and I don't like all that cutesy crap they do. It would be nothing more than optics, but I guess if that makes you "feel" better.........

It took President Biden six days to sign that declaration relief. Why? I remember President Trump doing that much, much quicker when we had winter storms under him.

A pandemic is different than an a winter storm. No one was told to stay home because of the weather. The Mayor of Austin told everybody to stay home due to a virus and THEN he vacationed in Mexico. Those are two VERY different things.

I also don't create threads when President Biden takes the day off. I don't care what Presidents do in their off hours. I do remember liberals complaining when President Trump went golfing. Yet, they had nothing to say when President Obama was golfing and gave a speech when James Foley was beheaded by ISIS, and then went back to playing Golf. It's very hypocritical.

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...ng-fundraising
So do you have anything to back up it took Biden six days? Or is that just a typical exaggeration? I get it, I'm married to someone who exaggerates to prove his point. It's not the truth, but it makes him feel better to make it sound worse than it really is. Sounds like you might share that personality trait.

Old 02-20-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
So do you have anything to back up it took Biden six days? Or is that just a typical exaggeration? I get it, I'm married to someone who exaggerates to prove his point. It's not the truth, but it makes him feel better to make it sound worse than it really is. Sounds like you might share that personality trait.
You sound so bitter. Now the spouse.

President Joseph Biden, Jr. Approves Texas Emergency Declaration. Feb. 14th.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...y-declaration/

From the link.

BRIEFING ROOM
President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. Approves Texas Emergency Declaration
FEBRUARY 14, 2021 • STATEMENTS AND RELEASES
Today, President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. declared that an emergency exists in the State of Texas and ordered federal assistance to supplement state and local response efforts due to the emergency conditions resulting from a severe winter storm beginning on February 11, 2021, and continuing.

The President’s action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety.

The. final act gives 77 counties not all Texas counties the Texas Gov wanted AS A DISASTER AREA.

TEXAS GOV THANKS PRES BIDEN.

https://youtu.be/KppXNvpa174

****Really, if the Texas Govornor Thanks Biden.... what is your problem???

Old 02-20-2021, 07:01 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
It took President Biden six days to sign that declaration relief.
No, it didn't. Try Feb. 14th - SIX DAYS AGO - WHEN IT BEGAN.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...y-declaration/

Old 02-20-2021, 07:07 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
I expect nothing less from the GOP and their boot licking supporters who defend defend defend. Keep it classy Cancu. Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies