Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:52 PM

4,378 posts, read 1,694,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Have you anything from teachers union or teachers denouncing these elected officials “NO”...Because The Bums in private are in total agreement “Village idiot”!
Honestly, in my experience, teachers are usually at odds with the boards of their own school districts. It can get frustrating dealing with the school boards. This is just one example of that.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:52 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,253,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
So, you posted it twice. And you're still wrong.

And they're only paid for the time they're in the classroom, for Christ's sake.
That's not true either.

Not one of my friends who teach only gets paid for their time spent in a classroom. They don't clock in/out for lunch. They are salaried & their paychecks aren't any less during the months of Nov., Dec., Jan. when their schools are closed for holidays or whichever month their specific school closes for a week of spring break.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,350,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
You’re wrong. The vouchers would cover tuition at the worst schools.

To get into a “good” school parents will be paying above the voucher amount out of pocket.

It doesn’t take much to see who gets left out of your scenario.
The state that implemented a voucher program on a large scale basis, Louisiana (they were able to do that in the wake of Katrina, taking advantage of the situation when the community would be less able to resist that) - has experienced poor testing assessment results.

https://www.edweek.org/education/opi...rogram/2016/02

https://www.nola.com/opinions/articl...c629c140c.html

Old 02-21-2021, 08:27 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
That's not true either.

Not one of my friends who teach only gets paid for their time spent in a classroom. They don't clock in/out for lunch. They are salaried & their paychecks aren't any less during the months of Nov., Dec., Jan. when their schools are closed for holidays or whichever month their specific school closes for a week of spring break.
You are correct that as a teacher I never clocked in/out for my 20-25 minute lunch - there wasn’t exactly time and if Little Johnny barfed on his way to lunch guess who else got no lunch.

However, teachers get paid for contracted days. In this state that means a minimum 185 days (includes minimum 170 instructional days (1,062 hours), four professional development days, four holidays, and two planning days), although many districts have an additional four days added on. Those 185-189 days of pay are spread out evenly over 12 months, whether monthly or twice monthly, as far as paychecks go. So while teachers do receive a check in for instance July, when they are not teaching, it is money they earned months before.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
That's not true either.

Teachers do receive some holiday pay, just like you and me, for days they don't work. But they aren't paid over the summer. They may get a paycheck over the summer, but their academic year salaries are spread over 12 months.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:16 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Solution would be to permanently abolish the public schools and give each family a voucher to send their kids to a private school of their choice. The government can also give teachers loans to start private schools in the buildings that used to house those public schools or use other spaces (such as their homes or offices) to start small pod schools to educate smaller groups of students. The free market will cause the parents to use the vouchers to seek out schools with talented teachers and strong education.
The problem with this is that the private school of your choice doesn't mean they will automatically accept you. You have to meet their requirements. And they cost between $11,000 and $30,000 depending on where you live. Why should we have to pay more so that kids can go to a private school just because their parents can't afford it. Plus, no private school would accept special ed kids.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:21 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I’m sure these Bums are all getting full pay to do almost nothing. After they were told to go back and didn't, the pay should be stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKW8...ature=youtu.be
You wouldn't even know how to read or write if it wasn't for a teacher. Since you are so down on teachers, what is it that you do?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
First of all, I am not in a teachers' union nor have I ever been in one. I started substitute teaching once I retired. I've currently been on a long-term assignment in one school district. I've subbed in a total of four school districts this year. I have found very little in the way of opinions from teachers regarding opening or closing schools, or teaching online. I have taught in person to a full classroom, to a mix of students online and in class, and with 100% remote students. Most teachers I talk to would prefer to teach with all students in school. There are exceptions mainly due to health situations with the teacher or a member of their family. The school district where I am now working full-time has a medical committee of doctors who make a recommendation to the school board, which has the final decision.

I would not expect the teachers' union to denounce the school board. What would be the point? All I would expect is for the teachers to get a laugh out of the situation. You seem to have a grudge against teachers. I agree that some are bums, but many are very dedicated to their profession. Of course, it you haven't spent considerable time in a teacher's classroom, it is impossible to have much of an opinion about that teacher.
If they think teachers are bad..they should see doctors and nurses.

Doctors are lazy as hell once they are in private practice..lets work 4 days a week, at best they work half days on friday..must be in nice.

Nurses are way over paid. Their is a shortage that is artificially created.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:31 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
If they think teachers are bad..they should see doctors and nurses.

Doctors are lazy as hell once they are in private practice..lets work 4 days a week, at best they work half days on friday..must be in nice.

Nurses are way over paid. Their is a shortage that is artificially created.
I worked in a hospital not a nurse or doctor and their is no way nurses are over paid. In fact they are underpaid for working long hours dealing with crazy patients and crazy family members. Next time you go to the hospital why don't you ask for nurses to leave you alone and see how that works out for you.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 PM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
I've always supported teachers and generally will. I will say that the teachers unions are playing games with this whole deal and have lost a whole lot of good will with people that generally feel positive toward teachers.

People are pissed off. Big time. The unions are playing games and it's obvious at this point. People want their kids back in school. Now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies