Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 11:47 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Ok. First my dad. Had to be at work by 8am and school ended at 3 pm. Spent next two hours tutoring at risk students. Camehome, by seven he was grading papers and preparing the next days lesson plan. That would take 3 to 4 hours. So basically that was 12 hour work days. When summer time came he worked a full time summer job to make ends meet. And this was a union job. So ********* on bashng teachers. My guess is you in no way stand up to my dad.

As far as me? I owned and sold a software firms and retired at 58. Financially far more sucessful then my dad but made far less impact on others lives.

I agree with you on some things, and disagree on others, but I think it's great that you had a great role model in your dad, understand his contribution, and obviously have great respect for him.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:09 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
IIRC, he's in one of the construction trades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
You mean like home construction where they build a crappy house and when you sue them they claim bankruotcy and then pop up a year later as a new llc? That POS industry?
Yeah an unskilled position that anyone can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
What's "despicable" about it?

Docs & cops & nurses & EMTs are working through the pandemic.

Not sitting at home, following "the science" and making fun of parents...

What's your profession?
Wait, but that's their job. it would be like if a teacher didn't want to work around kids, but that's their job that's what they signed up for well doctors cops and everyone else that's what they signed up for too

Old 02-22-2021, 08:21 AM

2,923 posts, read 978,426 times
its more the union that is the problem. there are a lot of bad teachers and a lot of good teachers and a lot in between.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 AM

8,767 posts, read 5,059,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_N_1962 View Post
its more the union that is the problem. there are a lot of bad teachers and a lot of good teachers and a lot in between.
And that is the way it is in EVERY profession.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:06 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,079 times
What do you mean glorified bums? They're like office workers. They are paper work all the way. Not someone who would show some one work to do as an example. They are pretty much that person who practices following things by the book and nothing else. Theoretical any way. That is them.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post
What do you mean glorified bums? They're like office workers. They are paper work all the way. Not someone who would show some one work to do as an example. They are pretty much that person who practices following things by the book and nothing else. Theoretical any way. That is them.
Based on what you wrote here, you have a legitimate reason to call your teachers, "glorified bums," especially your English teachers.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:00 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
My business is open on every holiday - 13 hours per day (state regulations are what they are) & even during Covid. Apples & oranges.

Teachers get holiday pay? Extra bonus for working a holiday when the school is closed?
And that's a choice you made to stay open on every holiday. Schools are not open on holidays. I think how teachers are paid (xxx days of instruction, xx in service/prep days, x holidays) already has been explained to you pretty thoroughly. What are you not getting about how teachers are paid?

Quote:
What's "despicable" about it?

Docs & cops & nurses & EMTs are working through the pandemic.

Not sitting at home, following "the science" and making fun of parents
What's despicable is the misrepresentation in this thread of how teachers are conducting classes during the pandemic.

Teachers have been working through the pandemic all along, just as doctors and nurses and EMTs. Some teachers work remotely, some do not. If you think teachers working remotely are sitting at home doing nothing, you're sadly uninformed. If you think it's easy to teach kids remotely, you're sadly mistaken. If you think teachers haven't worked their butts off transforming their lesson plans to a remote platform, or transforming their classrooms for social distancing, you haven't been paying attention. If you think teachers don't stay up nights worrying about the kids in their classrooms, well ...

Old 02-22-2021, 11:02 AM

52,268 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Bums is a bit rough of a thing to say, but I get the frustration that the OP has and I think that a large percentage of teachers are decent and want to do the right thing. I think that the teachers unions have gotten too powerful, particularly here in CA.

Here they are literally holding the kids hostage at this point and everyone here is mad, right, left, dem, repub.

Something has got to give, these people are really really burning their good will with the average person. I find unions to be silly in today's day and age with all of the workplace laws. The unions were good 80 plus yrs ago, they served a purpose. Now they are nothing but political action groups that confiscate their member's money with little to no value for the teacher.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:14 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I believe that because most parents are lazy and can't even handle raising their own kids. They can work making babies but then when it comes to actually taking care of them that's a different story
This is a sad example of how classist some are. Do you think a family with two essential worker parents wants their kids in school because they’re too lazy to take care of them? What about lower-paid workers who have to be physically present at their jobs and can’t afford childcare, now that we’re a year into the school closures?

Your post is every bit as dismissive and illogical as calling teachers bums.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:52 PM

4,391 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Based on what you wrote here, you have a legitimate reason to call your teachers, "glorified bums," especially your English teachers.
I laughed. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies