Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 08:00 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,854,455 times

Advertisements

California barely had a lockdown in reality. That's why its death rate is only 20% lower than Florida's. Australia had real lockdowns which is why they didn't have the same problem at all. I have a lot of Trumpy friends from far away telling me how horrible it is here with everything closed and I can't do anything. It couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:05 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
California barely had a lockdown in reality. That's why its death rate is only 20% lower than Florida's. Australia had real lockdowns which is why they didn't have the same problem at all. I have a lot of Trumpy friends from far away telling me how horrible it is here with everything closed and I can't do anything. It couldn't be further from the truth.
Not sure why you would say that. Totally untrue.

We have been under strict orders since everything started. It's just now easing up a bit. Still no indoor dining.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Defund the police doesn't mean "dismantle the entire department", but it does make for some good talking points on far-right media. It means to revamp the departments to get rid of systemic racism. But, I suppose you don't care about this as it doesn't affect you.

If you want to take the anarchy route with BLM protesters, you can't ignore the Proud Boys who stormed the capitol and ended up killing several people (luckily it wasn't more). That seems to be more of a threat to our country at this point.
So bizarre that this is not of consequence to more people. I don't know how any good American could be good with what happened on January 6th.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:08 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Not sure why you would say that. Totally untrue.

We have been under strict orders since everything started. It's just now easing up a bit. Still no indoor dining.
No indoor dining, but nothing stopping someone from traveling, congregating in large groups in private homes or going about not wearing masks. Sure there are rules, but these are basically just guidelines. I'm not saying that we'd get to Australia's level here, but the point is that it is effective when implemented in this strict manner.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:10 PM

Quote:
No indoor dining, but nothing stopping someone from traveling, congregating in large groups in private homes or going about not wearing masks. Sure there are rules, but just guidelines. I'm not saying that we'd get to Australia's level here, but the point is that it is effective when implemented in this strict manner.
Totally untrue. Could only travel within 100 miles or whatever, no congregating in large groups or private homes, and mask wearing mandatory (even now).

Where do you get your info?

Obviously, you don't live in California and have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm done interacting with you.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,505 times
Quote:
Defund the police doesn't mean "dismantle the entire department", but it does make for some good talking points on far-right media. It means to revamp the departments to get rid of systemic racism. But, I suppose you don't care about this as it doesn't affect you.

If you want to take the anarchy route with BLM protesters, you can't ignore the Proud Boys who stormed the capitol and ended up killing several people (luckily it wasn't more). That seems to be more of a threat to our country at this point.

I am a person of color and have been mistaken for African American before and called the N word and I equally despite anarchists on both sides. However, I still felt the BLM riots were given a free pass to attack innocent bystanders while the cops had their hands tied behind their back. If racism was so bad, why aren't there more dark skinned Indian immigrants behind bars due to racist White cops? I am disgusted by what happened on January 6th but that only lasted a day while the BLM/antifa riots lasted for weeks.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Totally untrue. Could only travel within 100 miles or whatever, no congregating in large groups or private homes, and mask wearing mandatory (even now).

Obviously, you don't live in California and have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm done interacting with you.
Why are you getting so offended? And yes, I do live in California. Yes, I'm aware that some counties here in the Bay Area aren't "allowing" travel more than 150 miles. But, its not really stopping people from getting on planes or driving elsewhere. Not saying its right or wrong, but that its not being strictly enforced.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:27 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:

What? Anyone could travel in and out of major California airports; they may have had to quarantine after arrival during some periods of time during the pandemic, but it was not closely monitored until December. Anyone could gather in a private home with as many people as they wanted. Plenty of people--read this thread--had stories about walking into stores without masks and buying what they wanted before walking out. Outdoor dining was open for months, and many indoor restaurants offered plexiglass partitions at tables (as if that would prevent virus transmission).

Old 02-21-2021, 08:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
No indoor dining, but nothing stopping someone from traveling, congregating in large groups in private homes or going about not wearing masks. Sure there are rules, but these are basically just guidelines. I'm not saying that we'd get to Australia's level here, but the point is that it is effective when implemented in this strict manner.
The biggest factor in Australia was closing the borders early and then bringing in compulsory quarantine for arrivals (citizens have a right to return)

But there have been big differences between the states here. NSW, the most populous with 8 million people, has only had the original shutdown in April. Kids were back at school in May and things have gradually returned to near normal. An outbreak in December resulted in a lockdown of 5% of Sydney’s population for a couple of weeks. It and the tracing have been so effective that we have now had 36 days without a local case.

But poor Victoria had a shutdown of 111 days last year after a major outbreak caused by poor quarantine arrangements. 90% of the country’s deaths and cases are from Victoria. So now they lockdown over a few cases, as they just have for five days.

You basically have to use restrictions on movement to get cases down low enough to implement efficient tracing. The tracers have to have the skill to persuade people to be truthful. That is absolutely essential.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I am a person of color and have been mistaken for African American before and called the N word and I equally despite anarchists on both sides. However, I still felt the BLM riots were given a free pass to attack innocent bystanders while the cops had their hands tied behind their back. If racism was so bad, why aren't there more dark skinned Indian immigrants behind bars due to racist White cops? I am disgusted by what happened on January 6th but that only lasted a day while the BLM/antifa riots lasted for weeks.
Are you serious? This isn’t a one time thing. Look at the threats that happened last year to the Governor of Michigan. I saw crazy Trumpers protesting regularly in my community with a stop the steal campaign and were getting increasingly aggressive. So, I wasn’t surprised at all what happened on January 6th, unfortunately. I also don’t think this will be the last of the Proud Boys/Q-Anon lunatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies