Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerobime227 View Post
Pretty sure many states such as Texas would appreciate it by now.
I don’t know enough to have an opinion about Climate Change/ Global Warming.

I do understand earth is warming faster than at any point in recorded history. This includes some extreme climate events.

Time for the Snow Piercer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 12:46 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,791 times
I often wonder what the motivation for a climate change denier. Every year gets just a bit warmer with 2020 being the hottest year on record. A hurricane in TX dumps a super 60" setting an all time high. Sea levels in Norfolk VA rising and flooding the streets. Let's not forget the forest fires in CA.
(Republicans think this is caused by Jews on the moon firing lasers). These are but a very few examples of climate change yet many republicans deny what is right before them. You can read their posts here. So what's the motivation? Fear! Just like with with Covid 19 many of these same people denied the existence of the Coronavirus. Motivation = fear!

From what is posted here we can safely assume that many of those posting have no idea how climate change works. No matter, climate change will continue until finally you are convinced. One day you will find yourself staring at a foundation that once was your home. Or that that quiet body of water that never floods is now up to your second story. Or about the time all that corn is just starting growing throughout the midwest another polar vortex sweeps down with freezing temperature and now all your livestock has nothing to eat.

I would like to tell you that if we change what we are doing...sorry...that ship has sailed. The world will now suffer the consequences of climate change. Simply look at the cost in TX over the past ten years and now add in the cost of 2021. TX will get federal aid but with the next disaster and the following disaster, etc., the feds will run out of money.

You can lie to yourself but climate change doesn't care.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:12 PM

45,271 posts, read 26,773,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I often wonder what the motivation for a climate change denier.

You know what doesn't care about climate change theories? The actual elements of nature. Water has properties. The atmosphere has properties. The sun is the main driver in heating the earth's atmosphere. Those things will not change based on the latest scare theory.

If the sea water is rising in Norfolk, it's because of something else - not ice melt. There are other factors in play. Ice melt would affect the immediate area FIRST before affecting any other areas.

Nobody is denying that the climate will change.

I deny the continuing scare tactics to move people to depend upon an unreliable energy source to make a few people a bunch of money. They have repeatedly been wrong in their baseless claims - which I will continue to highlight in my "Greatest Hits" series that I have started.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:17 PM

18,215 posts, read 8,038,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t know enough to have an opinion about Climate Change/ Global Warming.

I do understand earth is warming faster than at any point in recorded history. This includes some extreme climate events.
the planet has warmed 1 degree F in the past 100 years.....

..not C....F.....such a small change that it's not perceivable by any human

Old 02-21-2021, 02:30 PM

29,637 posts, read 24,652,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I often wonder what the motivation for a climate change denier. Every year gets just a bit warmer with 2020 being the hottest year on record. A hurricane in TX dumps a super 60" setting an all time high. Sea levels in Norfolk VA rising and flooding the streets. Let's not forget the forest fires in CA.
(Republicans think this is caused by Jews on the moon firing lasers). These are but a very few examples of climate change yet many republicans deny what is right before them. You can read their posts here. So what's the motivation? Fear! Just like with with Covid 19 many of these same people denied the existence of the Coronavirus. Motivation = fear!

From what is posted here we can safely assume that many of those posting have no idea how climate change works. No matter, climate change will continue until finally you are convinced. One day you will find yourself staring at a foundation that once was your home. Or that that quiet body of water that never floods is now up to your second story. Or about the time all that corn is just starting growing throughout the midwest another polar vortex sweeps down with freezing temperature and now all your livestock has nothing to eat.

I would like to tell you that if we change what we are doing...sorry...that ship has sailed. The world will now suffer the consequences of climate change. Simply look at the cost in TX over the past ten years and now add in the cost of 2021. TX will get federal aid but with the next disaster and the following disaster, etc., the feds will run out of money.

Who is denying that climate is changing? It's always changing. England used to be prime for growing grapes for wine. The Sahara desert used to be lush and green. Greenland used to be, well, green. No one is denying the fact that climate is always changing.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 6,332,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I deny the continuing scare tactics to move people to depend upon an unreliable energy source to make a few people a bunch of money. They have repeatedly been wrong in their baseless claims - which I will continue to highlight in my "Greatest Hits" series that I have started.
It's interesting then that oil satisfies all of your objective criteria. It's had wild fluctuations in cost, acquisition is unpredictable, and it caused a few people to make a lot of money.

Old 02-21-2021, 02:59 PM

45,271 posts, read 26,773,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's interesting then that oil satisfies all of your objective criteria. It's had wild fluctuations in cost, acquisition is unpredictable, and it caused a few people to make a lot of money.
Oil is definitely more predictable and more plentiful. And more people make money from oil than green energy - just because it has been around forever. And as long as the earth makes it faster than we consume it, it will be there.

I'm all for diversifying resources. Solar and wind is not reliable at this point and should not be depended upon. We shouldn't be killing coal either. They should all have their place.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:55 AM

56,851 posts, read 25,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
"The Arctic is warming three times as fast"... that's a relative measurement. If the world's atmospheric temp goes up 0.1deg, and the Arctic goes up 0.3deg... then yeah - it's three times as much, but it's really nothing much in reality.

Other than that - you are trying to stuff weather events into a box and create a theory.
That is a fact according to research.

Quote:
Decades of NASA data show the Earth is warming. According to NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, the Earth has warmed about 1.44 degrees Fahrenheit during the last 40 years. But the poles are warming even faster; the Arctic has warmed by more than 3.5 degrees Fahrenheit during the same time period.
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...mingpoles.html

Old 02-22-2021, 06:57 AM

30,153 posts, read 20,875,499 times
No such thing. Just a 1500 year warming cycle. FL has been blazing above normal for years.

Last edited by LKJ1988; 02-22-2021 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 07:06 AM

56,851 posts, read 25,787,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
the planet has warmed 1 degree F in the past 100 years.....

..not C....F.....such a small change that it's not perceivable by any human
You would have to not believe your eyes to claim it's not perceivable. Do you realize the amount of energy it takes to heat the earth 1 degree, just the warming since 1998 is the equivalent of 2.8 billion Hiroshima atomic bombs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies