Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 02:02 PM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times

Advertisements

Hogwash. The woman is an idiot. Lock her up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 02:05 PM

51,585 posts, read 25,595,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hogwash. The woman is an idiot. Lock her up.
Now. Now. You can't lock up people for being idiots.

Where would we find enough room?

Old 02-21-2021, 03:49 PM

21,694 posts, read 24,888,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Unless you can push it as far as "by reason of insanity," certainly a possibility for some, I don't see how claiming to be duped works as a defense.
Just a padded cell in that case since the weapons conspiracy charge was planned out rather than a fit of rage.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:03 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,800,303 times
Wait is this article saying Watkins a female was an Army Ranger, or the attorney is an army Ranger?

Quote from article:

"By sharing the new details in the filing Saturday, the defense attorney for Watkins, a former Army ranger who served in Afghanistan, argues for her release from jail on bond and other restrictions as she awaits trial."

Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,726,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Good up until that point. If you're hired by some bank robbers to provide security to and from the bank, you robbed the bank.

It doesn't particularly matter how misguided she was. She could have thought the President was going to order the bank's assets seized and that the bank robbers had a role to play in seizing the assets for the government. Still robbed the bank. That could be a mitigating circumstance that could result in a better plea bargain or a judge going on the lower end for sentencing in the case of a conviction. In this case I doubt it does anything of the sort. The conspiracy to smuggle weapons in particularly does not look good for Watkins. If they prove that, she's going away. In comparison the rioters who just were there to vandalize and steal things will get off lighter. They'll probably be fairly lenient and not toss those people away for ten years. Watkins, yeah, going away for a while if convicted on the weapons conspiracy.
Wait a minute. Did you just try and equate heeding the call of the PRESIDENT to defend the constitution with robbing a bank? There is no ambiguity in robbing a bank. The president is the boss.

Old 02-21-2021, 07:41 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,220,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I don't believe that it's a lie. I think she has a valid claim. He is the president. If the president calls you to defend the constitution you heed the call.
Yeah?
If you were called, what does 'defend' mean to you?

For damn sure, 'defend' DOES NOT mean attempted insurrection by force and the seizure of the People's seat of government, our Capitol building, to me!

I would demand to know who I am to defend my freedom from before I would take up arms.

But that's just me... what would you do?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,726,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yeah?
If you were called, what does 'defend' mean to you?

For damn sure, 'defend' DOES NOT mean attempted insurrection by force and the seizure of the People's seat of government, our Capitol building, to me!

I would demand to know who I am to defend my freedom from before I would take up arms.

But that's just me... what would you do?
I'm a liberal progressive kind of dude so I have faith in the electoral process.

I never believed a word out of Trump's mouth when he just a socialite in NY scene so I didn't listen to him as prez. But he WAS the president of the united states. The most powerful man on the planet. The guy with the codes. The commander. So why would millions NOT heed his call to protect the constitution and the electoral process when it's being compromised?

You say you would demand to know who you are defending your freedom from right? At every rally and event and press conference and from his lawyers and surrogates the president told you. Day after day. This lady has a strong case IMO. It's not "i was just following orders". It's "i was being patriotic and defending the country".

Old 02-21-2021, 09:49 PM

35,427 posts, read 20,812,644 times
Quote:
I don't believe that it's a lie. I think she has a valid claim. He is the president. If the president calls you to defend the constitution you heed the call.
One thing is to be called in an official manner , as when you deputize folks in an emergency, another to hear ramblings from a political speech and figure he was talking to you.Common

Old 02-21-2021, 10:38 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,824,854 times
Should make a good state’s witness.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:44 PM

21,694 posts, read 24,888,324 times
Quote:
Wait a minute. Did you just try and equate heeding the call of the PRESIDENT to defend the constitution with robbing a bank? There is no ambiguity in robbing a bank. The president is the boss.
If you thought your boss told you to rob a bank, my boss told me to do so is not an affirmative defense. You robbed a bank. There's no ambiguity about it.

Even if Trump called her up on the phone and told her to conspire to smuggle weapons into D.C. to storm the capital to prevent the certification, there's no ambiguity. Trump may have criminal immunity as President but nobody else in the conspiracy would. He may have been impeached, if he'd done that. Hard to tell with Republicans these days though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies