Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 08:11 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

Every teacher I know who was exposed got it from a parent who sat with the other moms for a couple hours, no masks, talking at a ball game. One other was exposed when after 2 masks and distancing for an entire football game, was encircled and hugged by the team. Have school, but stop with the sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They do not care about your kids. That is not what public education is about today. It is all about fleecing the public and forcing compliance, to pad bank accounts
There are not massive grocery store employee unions that vote democrat in every election and use union dues to support said candidates.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:01 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you really think teaching to gain the moral high ground from country club friends is a hobby for some?

Go sit in a classroom where 1/2 the kids have a learning problem and tell me what fun it is. There are a few among us who have goals other than accumulating wealth. Some do it out of need and gratitude. If you ever encounter a kid with a problem you might have a different POV.

Some people put a value on being a decent human.

I know all too well abut kids with learning problems, I am one of them. I know what it is like to sit in the shadows of the auditorium while many of my classmates were receiving academic achievement awards. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did I throw myself a pity party? No. I wished almost everyone of them well and remained lifelong friends with many of them. I am still good friends with my classes valavictorian.

My point is, yes it is disappointing to see people struggle with learning disabilities. But it is part of life, not everybody wins. I stayed for after school for extra help more times than I could ever remember, I was in special classes, I had tutors. Nothing helped. And when one of my own children went through the same thing, I explained to him that I went through the same situation. I told him he was struggling not from a lack of effort but because of his disability. I told him to do his best and that I will be there for him always. And we will get through this together.

Teachers can not wave a magic wand and cure kids with learning disabilities. They sometimes make a bad situation worse by lowering a kids self esteem.

Am I supposed to feel bad for a teacher because their classroom has 1/2 the kids with learning problems, and its not fun? It's a job, it's not supposed to be fun. I work in industrial construction, should people feel bad for me when it's 10 degree's and windy out and I'm kneeling on cold steel beam 125 feet in the air? Of corse not, I knew that when I took the job.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:40 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,364 times
Quote:
They do not care about your kids. That is not what public education is about today. It is all about fleecing the public and forcing compliance, to pad bank accounts
Public school teachers have become spoiled brats.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:22 AM

23,979 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
I know all too well abut kids with learning problems, I am one of them. I know what it is like to sit in the shadows of the auditorium while many of my classmates were receiving academic achievement awards. Was I disappointed? Yes. Did I throw myself a pity party? No. I wished almost everyone of them well and remained lifelong friends with many of them. I am still good friends with my classes valavictorian.

My point is, yes it is disappointing to see people struggle with learning disabilities. But it is part of life, not everybody wins. I stayed for after school for extra help more times than I could ever remember, I was in special classes, I had tutors. Nothing helped. And when one of my own children went through the same thing, I explained to him that I went through the same situation. I told him he was struggling not from a lack of effort but because of his disability. I told him to do his best and that I will be there for him always. And we will get through this together.

Teachers can not wave a magic wand and cure kids with learning disabilities. They sometimes make a bad situation worse by lowering a kids self esteem.

Am I supposed to feel bad for a teacher because their classroom has 1/2 the kids with learning problems, and its not fun? It's a job, it's not supposed to be fun. I work in industrial construction, should people feel bad for me when it's 10 degree's and windy out and I'm kneeling on cold steel beam 125 feet in the air? Of corse not, I knew that when I took the job.
No teacher at any grade level should be expected to be a special ed teacher who is an expert with all learning capabilities.

My dear relative is ADHD. He couldn't learn the read. The city he lived in gave specialty private school tuition to the kids who could not be instructed at his local school. He went to a school for ADHD kids. He got so good at it, he now works there.

Another relative is on the spectrum. That relative is getting a pHd. But it took their parents years of research and work. The schools were useless.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
How is that any different/worse?

Given the fact that now it doesn't take up any class time for those paying to sit in your class to watch you write on a board or make sure your powerpoint presentation "works" before you present it?
When classes are held asynchronously, it means that instead of being in class for two hours, you're "in class" for twelve. What could be a one hour discussion in a class becomes ten times longer. What once could be spoken effortlessly becomes endless typing.

I never did power-points so all my notes for a variety of different classes (sometimes I have four "preps" a semester) had to be transferred to Google documents. To replicate everything that would normally be said in a class, you'd be creating a document that is incredibly long. It's the difference between what would be written on a white board versus what gets said by the teacher/professor. So if you are teaching asynchronously or in a hybrid style, you end up making videos that replicate what the lecture would be.

No longer do you have students sticking around after class to ask simple questions which can be clarified effortlessly. Now students ask you to set up Zooms to ask their questions. You have to find a common time that works for them, set up the Zoom, find a place in your house to hold the video, etc.

Basically everything that used to be accomplished in the amount of class time that you held your class in as been expanded to fill out much of the day. Multiply it by the four different preps that some professors are doing, and it is easy to see why teachers/professors desperately want to be back in the classroom. They just don't want to get sick or bring sickness home - - which is why teachers/professors should be getting vaccinated before they go back.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:27 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Basically giving their members basically two years off with full pay and benefits.
Congratulations - - this is the stupidest post I've read on this subject over the last year. How incredibly ignorant you are.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:00 PM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
LMAO. Thank a teacher that you could compose this post, inane though it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Depends on the teacher even only at half day every other day. My son's English teacher is Epic. Spanish teacher not so much.
That wouldn't be any different if the classes were in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Spare me your condescension, BentBow. You have no clue regarding the work and the people who do it.
Thanks for describing your family's teachers' experiences. I'm amazed at the lengths at which teachers are going to give their students the best experience possible.

I know no teacher who does not want to be back in the classroom.

Quote:
Yes, more & more parents are waking up that teachers are not needed in the "commie zones". It is more about the money and their faux "safety" excuse, to get more money. The teachers are caught in the middle and have been set up to fail their kids academically.
Just look at the school board recently caught on ZOOM. Complete failures.
School is open in the non-commie zones.
What on earth are you talking about? What "more money" are teachers going to get? Please be specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachofries View Post
The real question is why is there such a shortage of teachers......the answer may shock you. Besides pay the real reason are the kids and their parents. Not all of them but most of them are just rude and disrespectful among several other related reasons. Who wants to be a teacher with that crap going on.
Add in people like the OP who are constantly harping on what a bad job they're doing - without knowing a thing about what they do. Who needs it?

Quote:
Yes, government has created a process for when that occurs. Some say, that causes even more problems, when government has to discipline not only the child, but the parent.

When I went to public school we didn't have these problems. The mighty paddle solved all issues.
What would solve this issue is parents acting like adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Basically giving their members basically two years off with full pay and benefits... What a scam when teachers only work around eight months out of each year anyway. So basically, they want to continue working, at best, part-time to a part-time job with full-time pay and benefits!!
This is one of the dumbest, most ill-informed posts I've read today. And that's saying something. You clearly have no idea of how teachers are paid, or how they're teaching through the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Public schools should be completely defunded so parents can use their money for alternatives. Those who still want their child to have a govt education can voluntarily fund that system.
You clearly do not understand what makes a public school a public school.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:08 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
I don’t think teacher’s are doing a bad job, at least not most of them. Remote just is not an effective way to educate most kids. It works well for some, but not for all or even most. It’s subpar to in person for so many reasons. Teachers are essential workers and it’s way past time to get back into the classroom.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You clearly do not understand what makes a public school a public school.
its because I do that I believe they should be abolished
Why should someone who home schools or sends their child to a private school be forced to fund a school system they don't use or dont agree with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies