Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 05:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
When Donald Trump refused to release his tax returns, many people reacted with outrage. But in reality, should how much a candidate paid or didn’t pay in taxes be the general public’s business? I hope this can be answered “yes” or “no”.
Trump repeatedly promised to release and did so for political gain during the 2016 campaign. Once elected and inaugurated, he announced he would not release. Trump alone controlled this.

The irony is that Hillary had released 30+ years of returns and the Clinton Foundation returns were public information all along and Trump referred to her as crooked Hillary.

I have zero interest in how much or little any politician paid in taxes. I am far more interest in the source of their income and who carries their debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 05:14 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
When Donald Trump refused to release his tax returns, many people reacted with outrage. But in reality, should how much a candidate paid or didn’t pay in taxes be the general public’s business? I hope this can be answered “yes” or “no”.

It's about integrity, either you have it or you don't!

Old 02-23-2021, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Personally,how much money I make is between me, my employer and the IRS. For a public official, If they've not been investigated for fraud or non-payment of taxes, then no, any tax documents could remain private. Frankly speaking, it comes down to envy. Everybody wants to be a millionaire, but most people aren't smart enough.
Most politicians don’t promise throughout their campaign to release and then once elected do the never mind thing.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:09 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most politicians don’t promise throughout their campaign to release and then once elected do the never mind thing.
Give Trump a break. His taxes have been undergoing an audit. For ten years.

“An audit definitely can drag out,” said Francine Lipman, a law professor at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, and a certified public accountant. “But not 10 years. That doesn’t pass the smell test
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/pr...ake-2020-10-01

Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think the whole thing is outrageous. It's just another way to get Trump out and keep him from ever running again. This country is done with these types of tactics.
If this is the case, then why have all other presidential candidates submitted this information?

Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Career politicians aka Swamp Creatures know how to hide their ill gotten goods so looking at their tax returns means nothing. The fact the establishment political elites are still chasing Trump, a private citizen, shows how much they fear his power and his followers. Just #WalkAway

Old 02-23-2021, 09:30 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Career politicians aka Swamp Creatures know how to hide their ill gotten goods so looking at their tax returns means nothing. The fact the establishment political elites are still chasing Trump, a private citizen, shows how much they fear his power and his followers. Just #WalkAway
Is that the official QAnon line?

Old 02-24-2021, 05:46 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Don't know why you ask, but more than half: Reagan, both Bushes, Obama and Trump. Carter and Clinton, no.
I ask because the post I quoted was claiming that people wanting to see tax returns were simply looking for salacious information about how much money they make and not for any legitimate governmental concerns.

I didn't think Obama got the money from his book(s) until after he was already in office? I don't think Reagan was still making millions when he came into the White House, either. He'd been out of the acting biz for something like 20 years, no?

Old 02-24-2021, 09:55 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Tax disclosure is a fast and easy way of learning how honest a candidate is in his business dealings, how conservative his spending habits are (or aren't), and may show where his weaknesses may be as well.

For every guy like Trump who has a lot to hide coming in to the game, there's a Jimmy Carter who had next to nothing to hide, but everything to brag about.

Most of the time, a candidate's taxes reveal just what the voters expect to see; a guy who's had his average ups and downs, as been fairly successful in private life, resistant to bribery, and maintains enough independence to claim no one has a big influence on him except his constituents.
His taxes usually show his wife is a decent honest woman, and his kids are about average. There's nothing too shocking, or too small or too big to cause much attention.

Since we all know so much about Trump now, I don't think releasing his tax info would shock the crows any more. But it could give a lot of folks he screwed over some ammo to fight him in court.
...and that's what worries Trump. He's only in it for the money always.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:17 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,211,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I ask because the post I quoted was claiming that people wanting to see tax returns were simply looking for salacious information about how much money they make and not for any legitimate governmental concerns.

I didn't think Obama got the money from his book(s) until after he was already in office? I don't think Reagan was still making millions when he came into the White House, either. He'd been out of the acting biz for something like 20 years, no?
Obama had been making money of book royalties throughout the 00s. They actually spiked during his campaign.

Reagan was making a hefty salary as a public speaker leading up to his presidency. I was young when he left office but I can remember his post presidency engagements being talked about because of money. It was brought up that he had done similarly before. Here is the only link I can spot- https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-2736e9c56ea4/

The other one who comes to mind is Hillary Clinton making hundreds of thousands for speeches to Goldman Sachs. That was a very big deal in the 2016 campaign.

The issue with someone like Trump or Romney is whether their businesses are benefiting. That can provide a work around to funnel money without having an obvious source. Romney had pretty much divested from companies when her ran in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies