Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 10:04 AM

44 posts, read 46,426 times

Advertisements

If it's legal to go out and eat and I feel like it doing it, I'm probably going to do it.

If people start to drop dead all over the place, then I'm sure I probably won't.

I take what Fauci, my liberal and my conservative neighbors have to say to into consideration but ultimately, I trust my own senses. Everyone has to make up their own mind. I won't judge anyone.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:05 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,090 times
I said it before he is making a lot of money off this so he wants keep it going he was just " awarded" a million bucks!!

Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM

2,888 posts, read 989,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
First, people only need to wear the mask indoors. This idea that we have to wear them out in public wherever we go is ridiculous. I’ve seen people ride by on bikes wearing them!

Second, this isn’t about Trump, to whom we owe thanks in large measure for speeding the process for vaccine development in the first place. Put aside your TDS for the purposes of this thread.

Third, let’s not worry about the minority who won’t get vaccinated at this point. Right now, the wait list for the vaccine is months long. At the point at which all those who want the vaccine have had the opportunity to get it - let’s say by summer - the remaining non-vaxxers won’t be sufficient in number to allow the virus to spread. (Let’s say 70% of the population is vaccinated, meaning that 30% isn’t. Of the 30%, at least a third have natural immunity, meaning 80% of the population is immune. That’s herd immunity.)
Do you stop breathing outdoors? Do you think that respiratory droplets magically stop being expelled if you're outdoors? The person on the bike wearing the mask is wearing it to protect YOU, not themselves. And you are disparaging them for it. Seems about right, I guess.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:18 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,498,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snerk View Post
Do you stop breathing outdoors? Do you think that respiratory droplets magically stop being expelled if you're outdoors? The person on the bike wearing the mask is wearing it to protect YOU, not themselves. And you are disparaging them for it. Seems about right, I guess.
The virus quickly dissipates outdoors. And someone riding by me on a bike, and getting within 6 feet (if that) for the two seconds it takes to pass me by (or anyone), is not risking anyone’s life.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldWilsonWaddleDaggle View Post
He's not fear mongering, he's telling what he knows and it isn't gonna always be fun to hear. We're just getting over this latest wave and hoping a new one doesn't roll in again. So his advice is to not let your guard down while the vaccine is still doing it's work.

Letting go now would be like unhooking the parachute just as soon as you slowdown but you're still thousands of feet up.
Barely a week ago he said to open schools. Now he says not to. And the cases are going DOWN.

Someone upthread had the answer. He’s succumbing to pressure from the Teachers’ Union.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:22 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Amazing how many allergy/infectious disease/public health exerts that are weighing in here. I tend to trust the accumulated wisdom of a world renowned and extremely experienced expert over the folks on this thread who feel enlightened by few youtube or Fox news segments.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM

2,888 posts, read 989,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
The virus quickly dissipates outdoors. And someone riding by me on a bike, and getting within 6 feet (if that) for the two seconds it takes to pass me by (or anyone), is not risking anyone’s life.

I guess everyone should just forego the masks, then. I'm sure scientists are just being silly.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:28 AM

18,428 posts, read 8,262,327 times
yeah right....the expert that changes his ”science” with the wind

Old 02-23-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
I said it before he is making a lot of money off this so he wants keep it going he was just " awarded" a million bucks!!
What did he get a million bucks for? He’s already the highest paid federal employee, and he’ll probably write a book after all this.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I was vaccinated last week. The single thing the vaccine immediate did for me as an old dude was to give me a feeling of relief in that in a week or so, when the vaccine reaches its maximum effect, the odds of becoming sick from covid would be near 0. In the long term and in a more general sense, getting vaccinated was the conscientious thing to do because I was one more person on the plus side in the quest for herd immunity. However I will still infectious, meaning I can still become infected with covid and spread the virus. So until we reach herd immunity, there is a need to wear a mask when indoors, in close quarters with the public.
As more data comes I have high confidence that we, especially the vaccinated we, will soon have less worries and move toward normalcy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...li-study-shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies